The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default w-t pole classes

My daughter recently was in a horse show, only doing the w-t division. They had 3 flat classes and a poles class. the question was raised..if the kids do not know there diagonals perfectly should they stay in a 2 point between the poles (jumps!) or post anyway?
    I have heard both from different judges and want to know which way is the right one....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I have heard both from different judges and want to know which way is the right one....
    There's your answer right there- it depends on the judge.

With kids at that level, the correct diagonal between poles would barely qualify as a tie breaker for me. They usually have enough of a challenge at that level with more major things like steering, pace, position, etc.

I will say if a kid posts between the rails, I'd rather see them on the wrong diagonal than have them look down the whole way and forget to steer to the next obstacle.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If the kid has a solid two-point, no bobbling or hanging on the horse's mouth for balance, I'd say stay in two-point. You're showing off what your kid can do well, and not giving the judge any reasons to mark the kid down (if she got the wrong diagonal).

But do consult whatever rules govern the show/classes/divisions and any relevant officials/governing bodies. Things like this are not often spelled out in the entry booklet/prize list (I know there's a better name for it, but I haven't showed in a long time).

When you say "kids do not know their diagonals perfectly," does that mean they can't always pick up the right one immediately or they aren't sure if they're on the right one? If the former, kid should be checking subtly as soon as trot is established and can sit a beat quickly if on the wrong one. It takes time to be able to ascertain the correct diagonal through feel and/or pick it up automatically. If the latter, practice makes perfect.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I am trying to attach a video of her poles, we know she got the wrong diaganol after the first 2 poles but I have to say she has improved so much this summer..She only gets to ride once or twice a week so we are happy...
    what do you think?
    She knows when you ask her which diagonal she is supposed to be on but cannot see it well yet...

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...whf2010007.mp4
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

On our local circuit it is two point over the rails, post all other times but diagonals only count around corners, not between poles. This is printed in the show premium. Most of the time the course is just twice around outside lines of 2 poles, but some judges like to mix things up and have a change of direction in a corner which requires the riders to change their diagonal. One course designer last year even had a course of 6 poles set up with multiple changes of direction. All but two riders nailed the course, the two that forgot the course were the only two adults in the class (and I can laugh since I was one of them on a greenie who thought the poles were 4'6" oxers!)
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

How can you be on the wrong diagonal when going in a straight line?