The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The bathtub method--rinse and repeat?

So, I did the bathtub method on Sunday. Dunked my boots in the bathtub. Wore them for 12 hours. Walked in them, rode in them, etc. They were still wet when I finally had to take them off to go to bed. Conditioned them after I took them off.

Wore them yesterday and as far as I could tell, there was no significant difference in how the boots fit. They were maybe a tad easier to zip up, but they still feel stiff when I ride.

When the boots were wet, they felt GREAT--soft and pliable and comfy.

Should I repeat the process again? Going to a small schooling show this weekend and will definitely have the opportunity to wear them for 12-14 hours and ride in them.
    friend of bar.ka

I was told to repeat. I did it and took them off slightly wet and they shrunk (not quite the desired result . They ended up being fine, but I was told to dunk them again and wear them until they are bone dry.

Yeah I think they probably have to dry totally, otherwise they'd just shrink back to normal size (or smaller!). I've also heard that the change sometimes isn't as drastic in zips as in pull-ons.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Hmmm. Next time, if they're not drying, should I blow dry them or something before I take them off?

I wore them from 9:30am till about 9pm on Saturday, and then had to take them off to go to bed.....my husband wasn't too thrilled with the idea of me wearing them to bed, LOL.
    friend of bar.ka

You have to wear them until they are completely dry, otherwise they shrink back to their original size, is what I have been told.

I've never gone the full-bathtub-route because I don't want to walk all the way through my house with wet boots. I always stick a hose in the top of each boot after putting them on and then walk around til they're dry (a couple of hours later).

I would repeat the process if I were you and if you're concerned that they won't dry the whole way maybe just get the top part (ankle up) wet or try the hose-in-the-top method?

i need to try this with my pull-on ariats, i hate them. why have i never heard of this method before now!?

So....maybe I soaked them too long and that's why they didn't dry? I held each boot by the foot and dunked from the ankle up--soaked for maybe 3-4 minutes. Is that too long?

I'm confused by the fact that they didn't dry after 12 hours!
    friend of bar.ka

yeah, soaking the leather will make drying take forever (seriously, days!). A quick in and out dunk or the hose works best :-)
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

I have used this method with three pairs of custom boots. I used warm/hot water and soaked the boots. I let them stand with the water in them for a half hour. I rode for at least six hours on a hot day and they were dry, and each pair, was perfect.

Totally ignorant question...
    what is the desired result from this bathtub method? I gather it's to stretch boots? Wear them in faster?

I had to repeat this process several times with my stupid Crowne Pros. Now they're finally to the point where I can zip them up without cutting the circular off in my legs!

yeah that is too long...I believe it's supposed to be like a 1 or 2 mins, so that would explain maybe why they didn't dry. I only did mine for maybe a minute, and they dried in 12 hours - not on me though

The desired result is that if you have them on wet, they are supposed to mold to your leg, stretching if needed, shrinking if needed, and just in general breaking in where you want them to. That's what I've been told at least

I had to do it a few times with my boots, much easier to stick a hose down them for a minute or so and then go ride and work around the barn, they were dry a few hours later, except for the day it was about 90, then it was less than an hour!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010