The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oldenburg Mare Missing Papers

Hello!

I am the new proud owner of a delightful Oldenburg Mare. I have tried googling her brand with numbers, and have yet to come up with anything. So I was hoping COTH could come to my rescue!

Where would I be able to find out more about her? She has the oldenburg brand with the number 49 underneath. I also have the name of her sire and dam.

My vet also said that she most likely had a baby before she was imported, and I would love to try to find her!

Any help would be so much appreciated!

Contact the Oldenburg Verband in Germany.

Sunnydays, Thanks so much for the suggestion. I sent them an inquiry. Do you have any experience with them? Any idea of how quickly they might respond?

Thanks again!

Best,
    CC

I have emailed the Verband in Germany a few years ago regarding my one mare's registration papers and received a response (from Heike maybe?) pretty promptly.

Callaway, that is great to hear! Thanks... How much info did you have about your mare?

Even though I have limited information about her, I am hoping we might be able to figure out exactly who she is/where she came from, and info about her foal.

I knew my mare's breeder and her pedigree and her complete history, just didn't have her papers. She was born in the USA and is registered GOV.

I bought her from an amateur who bought her as a foal. She lost her registration papers and her microchip (never had it implanted). As a part of our sales agreement, I required that she get a duplicate copy of her passport and certificate of ownership since I bought her with intentions to breed her. It took a REALLY long time, like almost a year, for me to receive her papers. I'm not sure whose fault it was, but I suspect it was her previous owner taking her time with sending the necessary paperwork in, and not the registry. I kept calling to find out what the status was, and both Holly in the US and the Verband in Germany were extremely helpful in answering my questions.

So does the previous owner always have to assist in these types of situations? I never had contact with them and doubt they have her papers either.

I'm just curious that you've purchased what is obviously a registered mare given the brand on her and NO PAPERS. How do you know that you legally own the mare? By that I mean - did the person selling the horse to you have clear title? There could be liens on her or worse she could have been stolen at some point

Even if you do find out the registration on the mare - to get duplicate papers you will have to provide an affidavit from the last owner on record.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by countrcanter View Post
    So does the previous owner always have to assist in these types of situations? I never had contact with them and doubt they have her papers either.
    Yes, we had to submit a transfer of ownership document and our bill of sale in order for them to issue a duplicate copy of her passport and certificate of ownership in my name. Even if you don't have contact with your mare's previous owner, you can still call the Verband to see what information they will give you.

CC, PM me with everything you know about the mare. Her name, her age, her color and rough description of her markings.

The 94 under her brand will be the 3rd and 4th numbers from the end of her life number (registration number). If you know her year of birth, I can get my contacts at the Verband to look for her in the database. You may not be able to get duplicate papers unless you can get a signed bill of sale and affidavit from the last owner of record, but we should at least be able to find out her lineage.

I have a bill of sale and transfer of ownership, so I believe we should be all good.

DownYonder, PM sent. Thanks for your offer to help!!!

CountrCanter, you need something from the last owner that the Verband has in their papers as owners. If you are lucky that is the one you bought her from, if you are not lucky, you have not even heard from the people the verband has in their papers. I the latter case you need to go back through all the owners and get an affadavit from each that the mare was legally sold on to the next person. Than you can optain a duplicate, which you would need if you would want to breed her or sell her as a "useful" broodmare.
    Good luck and please let us curious people know what you have and secondly: if you know what you have, send a good old snail mail to the people that bred her in Germany. We all love to hear where "our" horses are and what they do and a snail mail wil get there and can easily be translated if the do not understand english.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY