The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Radishes and Mint offspring. Pix added post 11

Does anyone have experience with Radishes and Mint babies? Do they generally have good minds? Any common conformation flaws or soundness issues?
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; Oct. 14, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

I'd like to hear the responses. We looked at a fancy, fancy grey mare by him named "Indiago" at the time, this was 2003 I think. Curious whatever happened to her (think she was 7 at the time). I don't think she was all THAT quiet but she was talented and a top hunter prospect. All the ones I've seen, even though somewhat few, were very fancy.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I had a mare by Radishes and Mint for 8 years. Having had only the one, I don't know if she was typical of his offspring or not. She was very fancy with a beautiful jump. Hack winner at the local shows and could get a ribbon at the AAs. We showed Adult Amateur because I was too chicken for AO, but she definitely had the jump to do 3'6".

Tempermentally, she was very opinionated and a bit hot. The kind of mare who would "try" you just about every day because she wanted to be in charge. That said, she didn't have a mean bone in her body and when I did something stupid (like ask for the looong spot ) she'd do her very best to take care of me.

Here she is, back when we were still showing: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ss-AdultAm.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...s-finals02.jpg

You can contact Debbie Lane & her Mother @ http://www.fullcryfarm.com
    R&M used to be her sister's stallion & Debbie & her Mom stood him. In fact they have one of his offspring listed on their sales page now.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Thanks for the replies. The one I've been looking at sounds very much like your beautiful mare LaurieB personality-wise, and looks & jumps just like the one that's leased on the site that Whitfield Farm posted. It seems like Radishes & Mint stamped his get pretty well with lovely movement and jumps.

I went ahead with the trade and I now own my first non green horse in over a decade! She did the A/A and A/O hunters pretty successfully in the northeast till her owner died unexpectedly and the mare made her way to Va where she's been shown as a jumper and is way too much fun! Eeep, I'm so excited to have one that knows its job already!

ETA a link to her pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/vintage+mint I'm goofy happy at the prospect of getting to go show with a horse that knows and likes the drill, and getting to work on myself over fences. Riding nothing but green for years doesn't do a rider any favors!
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; Oct. 14, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

He may well have been the last surviving sire line stallion from Bimelech. Wonder if he had a son somewhere that was left intact?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Viney what's Bimelech's significance? I don't plan to breed her, plus her papers were lost in the estate sale after her owner's death but it's always fun to know who's who. Now I just need to figure out my schedule to allow enough riding time. I've sent a couple greenies out for training and to be sold because there's only someone else here a few times a week and I won't ride babies alone. A made up one though, I'll make a phone call telling someone to worry if they don't hear from me in an hour. Just gotta figure out which hour to make that. Seriously, I can't believe how much I just lucked out. Of course, they're getting a very fancy prospect themselves but I've seen this mare at shows and thought "wish I'd been lucky enough to find that one!". I'm picking her up Saturday, will post some pix I have if I get permission from her current person.

Wow, R&M sure does have a lovely pedigree for sport! Lovely stuff. Can't wait to get Viney's input on this...

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Bimelech was Black Toney x La Troienne. The Black Toney line is one of the two greatest longtime American sire lines for jumping horses. The other is, of course, MOW. Black Toney is the same sire line as Pennant and Peter Pan and is sireline to, among others, Balladier, Spy Song, and Double Jay. Bimelech himself is in Dr. Birdsall with 13 horses, including Ruxton, for whom he is tail male damsire. La Troienne, of course, is one of the greatest broodmares who ever lived. She is particularly good in hunters.

Time Tested is the full brother of Lady Be Good, the dam of Bold Sultan, sire of the very fine USET jumper Allegro.

There is more. Just no time.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Oct. 14, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

With permission from her current owner, here are pictures: http://www.coolmeadows.net/derby.html

I just hope I remember how to ride one that already has a clue.
    Thanks for the rundown Viney. I'm somewhat familiar with the Black Toney line but don't know much about the good sporthorse broodmares. I don't know if R&M has any whole sons out there but it seems he was a very nice sporthorse. It's a shame some of these lines weren't kept up. I know a few tried but going against the grain in the horse biz is a quick way to lose your shirt.

Cool Meadows, congratulations on your new mare! From what I remember of R&M she looks quite a bit like him.

As I recall, I was told when I got my mare that most of the fillies by R&M had MINT in their names, and the geldings/colts had fruits and vegetables. So when you run across horses with names like JUNIOR MINT and PEAS AND CARROTS, those are R&M offspring.