The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else still amazed Hickstead went clear for every single rider?

What an amazing horse. I watched the Final Four at a little horsewomen's gathering (snacks, drinks, good company and the Final Four live ..doesn't get any better than that )

We all held our breaths when someone other than Eric set off on Hickstead but he jumped clean for everyone even though they seemed to have different styles.

I cannot think of a horse that deserved the Best Horse honour more than he did.

Five days later and I'm still thinking about it!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

He's a great horse and was being ridden by some of the best riders in the world, so not all that surprised. He's not the first, nor will he be the last, to go clear in all 4 rounds. I especially like that he is a small horse, since I am particularly partial to them. He really proves size doesn't matter.

He certainly did prove that size doesn't matter and being 5'3 myself I quite enjoy the smaller rides.

After WEG I came home and told the 4 mares in the barn that are relatives of Hickstead (through Ekstein) how well their cousin did and that they had a lot to live up to!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I like him very much!! Just my kind of horse: forward, small, scopey!! He was phenomenal!!

He did look like he was a little too much horse for the Saudi rider, though!! A couple of those turns and after the round were on the brink of out of control!
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eventer80 View Post
    He did look like he was a little too much horse for the Saudi rider, though!! A couple of those turns and after the round were on the brink of out of control!
    I think that just goes to show Hickstead's great desire to jump clear, I thought the Saudi got a bit lucky in that regard.

Hickstead is indeed a wonderful horse. I think he looks "out of control" but really isn't, just because he is a smaller horse than the other 3 and needs more power and go. That makes him look "out of control." He probably has to work twice as hard as the others. He has it in him though, has hotter blood with the advantage to keep going and going, and you can tell he loves his job.

He definitely deserved Best Horse honour!
    Owned by an Oldenburg

I wasn't suprised....Hickstead had a rail in the speed round. No way was he touching another fence, has he ever hit two rails in one week at a horseshow?
    He's the most careful and consistent horse I've ever seen.

I'm kind of surprised people didn't expect him to go clear. He NEVER wants to touch a rail so why would he with someone else? I expected people to have problems with him and never expected anyone to ride him as beautifully was Phillippe did. The Saudi kid definitely got lucky Hickstead was not such a fan of his type of ride/high level of nerves I kind of expected him to get jumped off in all honesty (but of course was glad he didn't) I was impressed with the level of riding and the quality of the horses but honestly did expect Hickstead to act up a bit for people who weren't Eric. I was also surprised at how everyone commented on the difficulty of the mare when I thought she looked the easiest of the bunch (maybe besides Rebozo) she has attitude but was more than willing undertack despite her lack of flat work... imagine how great she could be in a program like Phillippes?!? All of the horses were incredible but above is strictly my opinions on what I watched feel free to disagree but please contain the rudeness I often see here!
    Diane

How tall is Hickstead?

16hh
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Hickstead is simply amazing. It was a neat story how no one really wanted him in the beginning because of how wild he was (I am pretty sure that is what the story was) and now it is the complete opposite.

Ah, Hickstead. He is pretty cool. I just like looking at him!

What a fabulously careful horse. I was pretty interested in seeing other people ride him, and wasn't disappointed when Abdullah got on him (what can I say, I like to see a little "show" with my horse show!). Glad he was just fine and made it clear. After that I figured nobody would really have much trouble with him - Rodrigo being, well, Rodrigo, and LeJeune being quite experienced. Still... really interesting to watch the different styles and approaches with him. He and Eric definitely have a great partnership!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyLady29 View Post
    The Saudi kid definitely got lucky Hickstead was not such a fan of his type of ride/high level of nerves I kind of expected him to get jumped off in all honesty (but of course was glad he didn't)
    I'd say there was a lot more than luck in that round. That guy sure showed he can ride
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Love Love Hickstead. My little 15.3 TB is also quite "feisty" as she attacks jumps and for some would be a difficult ride (thankfully I have friend who rides her beautifully) She is just coming along but she has that heart and desire to do it perfectly. Hickstead seems to relish each jump. I thought Hickstead winning horse and LeJeune winning was a great outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi La Rue View Post
    16hh
    He is listed as 16 hands but Melanie commented that he is actually slightly under that. I don't know if she is correct or not.

Hickstead is 16HH with shoes on standing way uphill, but if you add his heart he is like 20HH tall. What I liked was the contrast in types, you had all the stout Warm Bloods and Hickstead who comparatively looked so fine, just a nice reminder that they come in all shapes and sizes.

I remember my Father telling me, when Hickstead started, if this horse stays sound and gets on the right path they are all gonna be chasing this horse, a bit of a conservative evaluation!

An amazing horse that no doubt will be one we talk about years from now. I would put him in the same class as the all time greats in the history of show jumping regardless of what he does from here on out.

What did surprise me however was the ride Phillippe Le Jeune laid down with him, absolutely beautiful and very different from the way any of the others approached riding him.

Hauwse, very well put. I too loved the ride Philippe put on him. Beautiful ride on a super star horse.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Quote Originally Posted by Hauwse View Post
    What did surprise me however was the ride Phillippe Le Jeune laid down with him, absolutely beautiful and very different from the way any of the others approached riding him.
    That didn't surprise me at all. I remember another rider from Belgium, Jos Lansink (sp?) at the last WEG, riding a big heavy warmblood, yet he adapted beautifully to the other 3, all of which were much lighter, more TB types. I expected the same from Phillippe, I loved his riding style and was rooting for him right from the beginning. Must be a Belgium thing, they sure turn out some wonderful riders.

I love that horse. So much power and energy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That didn't surprise me at all. I remember another rider from Belgium, Jos Lansink (sp?) at the last WEG, riding a big heavy warmblood, yet he adapted beautifully to the other 3, all of which were much lighter, more TB types. I expected the same from Phillippe, I loved his riding style and was rooting for him right from the beginning. Must be a Belgium thing, they sure turn out some wonderful riders.
    I too was rooting for Phillipe to win. I am a huge fan of his.

I should have been clearer.

I certainly was not surprised that he rode Hickstead so well because I anticipated a lack of ability or exposure. What surprised me, and not in a how did he do that way, was the approach he took with Hickstead. He did not ride him in the same way Eric does, which would seem the safe option, but for lack of a better explanation he rode him more like a hunter, and the surprise for me was how well Hickstead responded. I have seen that horse jump a zillion times and in my opinion he has never jumped better, never looked more unbeatable. The ride they put down together was one in a thousand, absolutely seamless.

Nothing against Eric, but if someone got on my horse, at that level and put on that type of demonstration I would be in absolute awe!!

That was a last inning of the world series, 2 out, bases loaded, 3 runs down, facing a 120 mph fastball, out of the park home run, in my opinion.