The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County Saddle Colors

I really hate to ask this so please don't shoot me!!!

Since County Saddlery doesn't really show colors on their website I have to ask the wise COTHers here.

I'm looking at a Stabillizer XTR and wondered is Conker and Oakbark the same color? Is Conker a little darker and not too orangey/red?

I would perfer the dark brown but I can get a Conker now without having to wait and order a Stabilizer.

I always especially disliked County's conker color, although I have to admit I don't remember why. IIRC I think it was the red/orange color and I didn't care for the way it darkened either. But some people love it.

Could they send you leather samples?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Could they send you leather samples?
    Well I decided for $25 I will have the saddle shipped to the local County rep for me to try the saddle. It's a demo that County has for sale. Then I can see / ride in the saddle and decide either just buy that one or order a saddle.

I would rather have the dark brown but I also would like to get a saddle sooner than later. You know - that instant graficiation thing. But if I just don't like the color, I will have to order a saddle.

Its a big investment in something that hopefully you will be riding in for many years, so if you're not happy with the color I think its worth waiting for. But there are many County saddle owners on this BB, I'm sure they will be able to show you pictures, in fact if you do a search you may find previous threads where pics were posted.

IIRC (I got my County 3-4 years ago) the Oakbark is a darker brown color and the Conker is more reddish. The Newmarket was their orange saddle. Here are some pics of my 6-8 month old Conker Stabilizer after a few coats of oil and use:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2440/...901714b6bc.jpg
    "These are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others." --Groucho Marx

Hello, I have a county Innovation saddle in the Oakbark colour. Its a rich dark reddy brown colour if that is helpful. I'm really surprised that the saddle rep does not have some sample leathers similar to what you get with the paint chips? Not sure what colour the conker is...

I have both, the stablizer in conker brown and the innovation in oakbark.

The conker brown is lighter than oakbark and is more redish. The Oakbark color is a very dark brown, which I like a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    Well I decided for $25 I will have the saddle shipped to the local County rep for me to try the saddle. It's a demo that County has for sale. Then I can see / ride in the saddle and decide either just buy that one or order a saddle.

I would rather have the dark brown but I also would like to get a saddle sooner than later. You know - that instant graficiation thing. But if I just don't like the color, I will have to order a saddle.
    Regardless of the color question, you did the right thing (having it shipped to try). Very often, I have found, the saddles can vary from year to year, and when looking at used or demos, you really have to ride in it before buying. Just recently, I rode in my County rep's demo Stabilizer and then we had another one (demo) shipped out to try for a bit and it was like a totally different saddle even though it was the same size and tree as the one my rep had!

As for color, most of the demos that I've seen haven't been oiled much, so don't be too shocked if it still looks yellow/orange. That might change somewhat with use and oiling.

Im waiting for an Innovation in dark chocolate. Like horsepoor said, demos arent oiled, and I particularly find oakbark's orangey-ness too intense, but the chocolate was just such a classic color, that I immediately upgraded to the bullhide...

I have a County Pro-Fit in Conker and as others have said it is more of a dark reddish brown color. I bought the conker as I have a gray and it looks fab on him