The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stirrup Irons

I have a pair of Herm Sprenger regular fillis type irons. I do like them better than regular fillies for some reason. I have some knee pain and was wondering if any one uses those plastic looking kind of stirrups for schooling or some other type. I do not want joined stirrups, so any jointed are out of the question. I do not care about color, etc because they will be for schooling.
    Also separate question but will replacing the thread to something grippier or different make a difference?
    I routinely have to ride without irons because of knee pain and hope something out there is slightly better for me than my regular irons.

A wider tread and/or an offset eye might help.

Why so dead set against jointed?

I've found that with jointed I end up pushing my ankles down too much. I have a really flexable ankle and prefer not to use them. I prefer the non jointed irons and have found that even minor differences make a difference. I was very surprised with the Herm Sprenger regular irons, they feel and ride so different. Never would have thought that until I got a pair.

different jointed stirrups have different tensions too. I have two pair of MDC Intelligent stirrups (both jointed) that I quite like they have the offset eye that can be set at 45 or 90 degrees. But, they do also offer a non-jointed version: http://www.mdccorporation.us/product...ups/index.html

I also have a pair of Bow Balance stirrups from Herm Sprenger for another saddle: http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctClassid=4510