The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your manure storage/disposal methods?

I'm writing a paper on the effects manure has on the environment, and how to store and dispose of it. How do you guys store/dispose of your horses' manure? any other information you could give me would be great. Thanks in advance!

I have 9 horses, and we have a big (20 x 30) cinderblock 3 sided bin that takes about a year to fill up. I keep a sign on the road for free manure and get rid of a good amount that way. The rest landscape companies haul off for free.

Most of it is composted, then spread on the cow pasture in the fall. I also haul some of it to the house where I compost it for my vegetable garden. It turns into the most amazing black "dirt" in a manner of a few months.

I knew one person who picked stalls all day long to have the purest hay and bedding free manure. They she bagged it and sold it as "gourmet" horse manure to the suburbs for their gardens. It was a pretty clever supplemental income.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I use pelleted wood bedding, to reduce the composting time and the volume to be composted. I then use a "three pile" system: Fresh in pile A, mid-process in pile B, finished in pile C. We use our tractor to turn, turn, turn each pile and then move over as necessary. We have a bunker with 3 sides made of wood. I give it all away most years, in bulk and in the pellet bags to "city folk" who only need a a little compost for their pots.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Ours is "stored" in the manure spreader until full. In the winter, we spread it directly on the hay fields. In the summer we stockpile in a corner on one of the hay fields and spread it when we're done cutting hay for the year.

Mine are bedded on sawdust. It's "stored" in a bloody huge pile. Taken by tractor and dumped nice and high. I use it to warm my feet in winter I spread it on the land once it's rotted down. Starting at the back of the pile.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Oct. 11, 2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I use pelleted wood bedding, to reduce the composting time and the volume to be composted. I then use a "three pile" system: Fresh in pile A, mid-process in pile B, finished in pile C. We use our tractor to turn, turn, turn each pile and then move over as necessary. We have a bunker with 3 sides made of wood.
    ^ This. Except we use the finished compost on our pasture and gardens.

We use sawdust, 6 large compost bins. Takes about a year to fill all bins. When bins are full, we spread on pastures or use as mulch.

I have a dumpster that's filled each week and hauled away.

I have 20 horses and 2 70 yard containers. We dump the manure in a concrete 3-sided 20x20 foot bin which also has a concrete floor, so nothing leaches out. Every week or so we load the manure in the dumpsters with a skid loader. Every couple of months, a neighbor with a roll-off truck hauls them 2 blocks to another neighbor's tree farm and dumps them. Charges me $100 for both. The tree farm guy lets it compost and spreads it as he needs it.

I have a 5 acre horse farm and I have a manure pile that is on the edge of the property (25' in from the boarder). I use that to store my manure and then run an ad in the newspaper in the farm & garden section advertising free feritlizer/horse manure. I never have any problem getting rid of it. I've been doing this for so long that most of the time my regular customers come out before I even have to run an ad.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Manure spreader.
    The trails in my woods are nicely bedded with shavings! When I pick out paddocks and run-ins I only have manure and can spread that on the pastures. Too much shavings or straw tend to kill my grass.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

I use a sawdust/shavings mix, and sometimes straw when I have a horse rehabbing from being gelded, things like that.
    It gets hauled around to the backside of the property, away from the river and buildings, and out of sight. A local landscaper takes it for compost, once and sometimes twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Ours is "stored" in the manure spreader until full. In the winter, we spread it directly on the hay fields. In the summer we stockpile in a corner on one of the hay fields and spread it when we're done cutting hay for the year.
    same as me except it is spread on the crop field when they are available and non-pastured grass areas when the crops are in. I don't have the equipment to pile it, turn it and then spread it.

the farm i lesson at is attached to an organic produce farm. They load maure straight from wheelbarrow to a small manure trailer, and truck it over once or twice a week (i may have the numbers off here-however long it takes to get a full trailer load), where it gets composted/dealt with by the farm management.
    The produce farm has some special/strict requirements the horse mgmt have to meet: no hair or garden trimmings, the horse mgmt has to record and report the dates that any hay was treated in any form (info they get from hay suppliers, etc), what feed the horses are on, etc. The manure has to remain in compost for a certain period of time, too.

Sorry for not knowing much in the way for numbers/exact details! I *can* tell you that i had been there for a little while (well, months, but only 1x/week) before i looked around and thought, "waaaaait a minute.... where's the pile?!?"
    It's quite a nice set-up, and is rather symbiotic, really
    Horses get big bags of organic carrots delivered to them on a regular basis, too!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Composted in a manure pile at the back of the property and spread on the pastures, put in the flower beds, and given away to gardening friends.

I only have 2 horses, turn it with the front end loader every month or so, and use pelleted bedding, so it compostes quickly.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Straw bedding and manure are dumped in a cement/cinderblock 3-sided bin. When the bin is full, a mushroom farmer comes with a big truck and takes it all away. The mushroom farmers will only take straw, no shavings.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Hubby scoops it up with the loader and dumps it in the manure pit used for the cattle manure. Easy peasy! When the pit gets full, it's spread on our crop fields. One more reason I'm glad I married a farmer...
    Cindy

put it on the compost pile. Composts for about 6 months and spread on the hay field.

Dumpster, dumped twice a week.