The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Default Rita Mae Brown Book Signing

She will be reading from her latest book "A Nose For Justice" (Not Hunt-themed) and signing/autographing/schmoozing at the Bailey's Crossroads Borders on Wednesday night at 7:30. It's a high-traffic area with lots of congestion, so if you wish to go, you'd best head out to sit in traffic for a bit and catch up on your reading, knitting, or whatever it is you do.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm going to have to read this one since one of the characters is a wire haired dachshund. I hope she has taken some of her readers' comments to heart and focused more on writing an entertaining mystery and less on the socio/political preaching.

Aside, are foxhunters really as anal about turnout and what brand of boot/coat/tack they have as the hunters in the "Sister Jane" books seem to be?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Aside, are foxhunters really as anal about turnout and what brand of boot/coat/tack they have as the hunters in the "Sister Jane" books seem to be?
    YMMV when it comes to what they are anal about and to what degree. It depends a great deal on what kind of person they are off the horse.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I hope she has taken some of her readers' comments to heart and focused more on writing an entertaining mystery and less on the socio/political preaching.
    Srsly? The woman who wrote Rubyfruit Jungle isn't allowed to comment on the state of society? She should just stick to ponies and pussycats?

[QUOTE=wireweiners;5151150]I'm going to have to read this one since one of the characters is a wire haired dachshund. I hope she has taken some of her readers' comments to heart and focused more on writing an entertaining mystery and less on the socio/political preaching.

Nope. She did get in a few political digs and opinions.I'm reading it now and I think I like the Sister Jane and Harry Hairsteen books better. It seems a bit disjointed and almost like two stories, although they are connected. Maybe it's just me!

I love the hunt and Harry H books ~ will probably not read this one ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Srsly? The woman who wrote Rubyfruit Jungle isn't allowed to comment on the state of society? She should just stick to ponies and pussycats?
    I have no problem with her politics, not my cup of tea, but this reminds me of the time I was in our huge great bookstore (run out of business by barnes and noble, sadly) and looking for more of her cat and dog and hunting books, and I was directed to an, uh alternative lifestyle area in the bookstore. Only book I opened, and quickly closed, was Rubyfruit Jungle.
    Then a few years ago Amazon.com put me on some list of new books for that lifestyle since I had ordered several of her cat mystery books from Amazon. I had to email them and say I was on the dog and cat and horse list, not the alternative lifestyle list.

And will the dog and cats be there to sign books?

If she wants to write socio/political commentary that's fine, just don't mix it with the ponies and pussycat books. I read the Mrs. Murphy and Sister Jane books and others of that genre simply for mind candy. When I want something serious, I'll look in the serious book section. I don't mind a little of it but her last few books were really hard to get through because of the excess preaching.

I've just started on the third Sister Jane novel.... so I was drawn to this topic, then, out of curiousity had to look up the Rubyfruit Jungle etc... My goodness, the things you learn on Wikipedia. She outed Fannie Flagg? Loved her writing too.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    My goodness, the things you learn on Wikipedia. She outed Fannie Flagg? Loved her writing too.
    If you were into women's tennis in the seventies, you'd love her book about the pro tennis circuit - I think it's called Sudden Death. She had the inside scoop on everyone's little idiosyncrasies.

She was close to Martina Navartolova (sp). And the professional basketball player.

I do love the cat and dog investigators. Both are good crime solvers and the horses and foxes have some good ideas also about people and animals.

I read the Mrs. Murphy and Sister Jane books and others of that genre simply for mind candy. When I want something serious, I'll look in the serious book section. I don't mind a little of it but her last few books were really hard to get through because of the excess preaching.
    Fair enough. I don't know if you'd like Nose for Justice or not then.

I haven't really noticed any preaching in her other books. Sometimes her characters state political viewpoints. But then, people do that IRL.

Nose for Justice has a lot to do with water rights and development in the desert. I'm not in love with it so far. I think maybe it's just so far out of the realm of my experience - I live in a swamp, for crissakes - that I'm having trouble relating.

I haven't really noticed any preaching in her other books. Sometimes her characters state political viewpoints.
    Now and then Sister Jane goes off on socioeconomic tangents which tend to zone me out. But hey, I just skim them to get back to the talking foxes.

I do find some of her midevil history and Shakespeare references interesting. She is obviously highly educated and intellectual.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Fair enough. I don't know if you'd like Nose for Justice or not then.

I haven't really noticed any preaching in her other books. Sometimes her characters state political viewpoints. But then, people do that IRL.

Nose for Justice has a lot to do with water rights and development in the desert. I'm not in love with it so far. I think maybe it's just so far out of the realm of my experience - I live in a swamp, for crissakes - that I'm having trouble relating.
    I did some studying on water rights in law school so maybe it'll be interesting. I have a Master of Laws in agricultural law but work for Arkansas DHS, go figure. I'll read the book just because it has a wire dachsie in it. You very seldom see them featured in mainstream literature.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    ... Only book I opened, and quickly closed, was Rubyfruit Jungle.
    Then a few years ago Amazon.com put me on some list of new books for that lifestyle since I had ordered several of her cat mystery books from Amazon. I had to email them and say I was on the dog and cat and horse list, not the alternative lifestyle list.
    What turned you off Rubyfruit so quickly? It's a pretty well-written growing up/coming of age story -- even if it doesn't have horses, dogs or cats, and I usually prefer to read books with one or more of those in them!

What bothers me more about RMB's recent books is how thrown together they seem, and how many inconsistencies she puts in from book to book. The first few Sister Jane books were so good, and the very first one was a real NOVEL to me (meaning of more literary depth than a cozy mystery, not that mysteries aren't great and I read lots of them myself, but Outfoxed set out such a complex and fascinating world), then Sister Jane's books became a series and new ones started getting cranked out rapidly. Details quickly were wrong from book to book, such as the color of some of the fox characters changed from grey to red, things like that -- I quickly felt like I cared more about Sister Jane's world than the author or editors did, since I could at least keep character details straight!

Same with the Mrs. Murphy books, although they were obviously intended as a series right from the beginning.

I don't love the sermonizing but I can deal with it and it wouldn't turn me off her books -- but the thrown-together slapdash quality has kept me from buying the recent entries in either the Sister Jane or Mrs. Murphy series.
    Last edited by Rallycairn; Oct. 13, 2010 at 09:47 AM.

I agree - I recently went back and re-read Outfoxed and it was in a different class altogether from the rest of the series. Sister Jane kind of jumped the shark for me a few books back.

Which foxes changed species? I didn't notice.

p'Aint -- Comet, at least. Introduced in the closing pages of Chapter 1 of Outfoxed as Butch's son and Inky's brother, and therefore a grey, and is a grey throughout that book and Hotspur, on p. 349 of the mass market pb edition of Full Cry is described thus, "Comet, bright red, crossed the open field ..."

Also in the mass market of Full Cry, the horse Cloud Nine jumps around from being a mare to a gelding; some examples: p. 148 "Nine's her barn name .... incredible stride once she gets into it. Tucks those front knees right under her ..." So not just a passing reference to a mare but several sentences with multiple uses of feminine gender words to describe her. Then on p. 209 "... she saw Sam Lorillard struggling with Cloud Nine. He finally got the big gelding straightened out ..." and it goes on. Again not just one wrong pronoun but several sentences. I think Nine flips gender several times in that book.

Those are just some quick examples -- if I dug I could give more, like she's very inconsistent with which characters ultimately ended up with Fontaine's various horses after Outfoxed. I find those inconsistencies A LOT in RMB and for me it is jarring and careless, as I said, and it makes me feel like I give a bigger hoot about the world of the books than the author herself does -- so I'm left wondering why I SHOULD care.

I would rather have had far fewer Sister Jane books and had them be comparable in quality and depth to Outfoxed. When I first read that one, even with the murder mystery element, I had hopes there would not be a series. Outfoxed is indeed something special. The rest are enjoyable for me until the Custis Hall girls start featuring in multiple books (they were fine as subplots for one book but I don't find them compelling as recurring characters) and until RMB apparently couldn't decide what to do with Crawford -- big subplot with him starting his own pack in one book, but that whole thing seems to be fizzling away by the very next book IIRC.

I hope she just drops that series unless she has something meaningful to say about, for example, Sister and Gray or a truly good idea for a mystery, not just a contractual commitment to fulfill.

Am a huge RMB fan but couldn't get through this new one. I used to review books for various magazines and I was always thrilled to be sent one of her books. I hate the fact I'd have to pan this book so am glad I'm no longer doing reviews!
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.