The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default towing question - 4wd

Those of you who have 4x4s, do you always go into 4wd when hauling your horse trailer - or do you only use 4wd when needed for road conditions?

If it matters, the truck is a one ton dually and it hauls a 3H aluminum gooseneck usually with only 1 or 2 horses in it. Out of habit, I always put it in 4wd when hauling (and use the tow/haul mode). I was just wondering if 4wd for hauling was the norm or overkill when hauling on dry, paved roads.

Thanks.

The only time I engage the 4wd is if I have pulled off the road say a grass parking area that might be a little softer than expected or if I have to travel on a dirt road that has gotten wet from a rain storm and is muddy.. Otherwise, I don't engage it.

Overkill. You shouldn't need it. It'll also wear out your truck faster because the 4wd on trucks is NOT meant for stable surfaces, in the way that AWD on cars is.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

Quote Originally Posted by half seat View Post
    Those of you who have 4x4s, do you always go into 4wd when hauling your horse trailer - or do you only use 4wd when needed for road conditions?

If it matters, the truck is a one ton dually and it hauls a 3H aluminum gooseneck usually with only 1 or 2 horses in it. Out of habit, I always put it in 4wd when hauling (and use the tow/haul mode). I was just wondering if 4wd for hauling was the norm or overkill when hauling on dry, paved roads.

Thanks.
    Uh....you're going to want to change that habit. There is no reason to use 4wd "just because", it should only be used when necessary. Wear and tear, wasted fuel, and there is a considerable bind when turning on dry pavement............you'll eventually break something prematurely.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

4wd is for traction - not towing capacity. It is not the same as the All wheel drive you get on a Subaru and should not be used on hard surfaces - the tires need what's underneath to shift a bit. Or over about 40mph. if that.

When you are 4wd and make a turn on pavement you'll hear/feel a vibration - that is the front tires trying to turn will applying force to the road and the tires are skipping because the pavement doesn't shift.

Definitely use the Tow-haul mode - that is for the transmission and keeps the truck from going into overdrive, and at least on Chevys kicks in the tranny cooler at a slightly lower temperature.

Use your 4wd when you think you might get stuck - mud, snow, wet grass, dirt roads with steep grades - whether or not you have a trailer behind you.

Using 4WD on dry paved roads is not just overkill, it's actively a bad idea. It lessens the vehicle stability and it damages the truck and tires.

As Hilary wrote, unless you're going straight, the tires have to skip on the surface if you're in 4WD, lessening your contact with the road, which is never good.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I agree with the others. It's overkill and hell on your truck. I only use it when I'm somewhere I think I may get stuck (dirt roads, grass, gravel, steep hills). Once or twice, I've forgotten to go back to RWD once I've gotten on the pavement, and it's not as nice a ride, especially when turning.

You're not the first person to have this thought, though. I've gotten in a friend's truck once and said "Oh you've still got it in 4WD." She told me she always uses 4WD to haul. I don't think you're alone in this misconception, but you'll be better off saving 4WD for only the times you really need it.

Ditto everyone

I bet your tire guy loves you!

There's no reason to haul a trailer in 4wd. None.

I put mine in 4L if we get stuck or I know we're going to get stuck. I haul in tow/haul mode but never never in 4wd...I put it in 4WD to get out of sticky/slippy situations...and only then...what you are doing, well, that's just hard as heck on your truck and your tires.

Where's the embarrassed emoticon? I'm glad I asked, even if i do feel dumb now.

Thanks for explaining (and not laughing out loud) everyone. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by half seat View Post
    Where's the embarrassed emoticon? I'm glad I asked, even if i do feel dumb now.

Thanks for explaining (and not laughing out loud) everyone. I appreciate it.
    wellll, I did chuckle but in a sweet way, honest!

Glad you asked before you chewed up those tires

Wow! And you didn't get the "square tires" syndrome when towing on dry pavement in 4WD? As everyone else said - a BAD idea lol! 4WD is only for mud, snow or other road conditions that warrant it - it does not give you "more power" on dry pavement....

You are looking for he embarrassed icon and I am looking for our resident artist to draw the towing with square tires picture!
    _
    |_| - there's one square lol!