The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about your 'Ideal' offspring

I don't mean your ideal to you, I mean by the Old/NA stallion Ideal . I recently purchased one and am in love! Who has them? If they're of riding age, what do you think of them?
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I have friends who bred & raised a filly by Ideal. Very, very difficult temperament on that mare from day 1. Movement, jump & looks to die for, but not ammie-friendly, at all.

This family regularly bred their own foals - they were not new to the baby game. They had a resident professional trainer on their farm. And the Ideal baby still gave them a run for their money, and was far more difficult than any other foal they've bred.

They ended up selling her to a very accomplished (former member of US team) pro, who still hasn't been able to do much with her, either.

Oops, that was a downer. Probably not what you were looking for!

I had an Ideal mare that I bred and raised that was my favorite mare ever! She was a hellcat growing up, very hot and had an opinion about everything! She WAS a chestnut mare though! =)

She had just jaw dropping movement and suspension. After she turned 5 her hellcat attitude completely went away, and she was a complete doll. A cuddly, sweet, ride bareback with a halter while other horses in the arena are jumping out of their skin doll. =) It was quite the change.

Sadly I lost her to lymphoma at age 8 and she had lameness issues off and on her whole life from 3 to 8 so I never got to compete her. But I still miss her!

From what I have heard the Ideal babies just take a little longer to mature mentally and need someone really knowledgable handling them when they are young. But they are really talented once you get them past the young horse crazies.

As a side note, my Ideal mare had the biggest ringing whinny I have ever heard. She knew the sound of my truck when I pulled up to the barn and would let out an earcracking trumpet of a whinny every time.

I have 2 Ideal mares that I bred and raised and both are wonderful horses.

The older mare has had 3 foals and they are also all really great horses. She is a nice mover herself and was equally talented in dressage and jumping. On the hot side but in a GOOD way and I think that is because she is 1/2 TB.

My other Ideal mare who is 10 is phenomenally talented for dressage. Unfortunately she dreams up a creative way to injure herself every year. But, she is supple and balanced and has wonderful gaits. She can be off work for months and you can just hop on and do collected and medium gaits and all the lateral work, easy as pie. She is my very favorite horse to ride of all the horses I have ever sat on.

Anyway, I LOVE my Ideal offspring (daughters and grandkids) and would not hesitate to buy or breed another!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I've bred twice to Ideal and both times got WONDERFUL fillies. One is showing in dressage and the other in hunters. Both their owners adore them. They were easy foals and very intelligent. We sold the one that became a hunter as a weanling and kept the other to start under saddle. She was very easy to start and sold to an amateur who shows her in dressage in the Houston area.

I switched all my breeding over to Hanverian or I'd STILL be breeding to him!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Lisa, doesn't bother me at all, there are bad apples in every barrel. So far, mine seems to be one of the good ones. She's just got a handful of rides on her, but we've trail ridden at the lake, etc. Very quiet and seems to use her noodle about new things. I can see alot of promise in her movement, etc, but we aren't doing that kind of work under saddle yet. I am just curious about them. Glad to hear more ppositive than negative!

Had a Ideal filly that started out super ... seemed pretty talented, and yes was to some extent. Hardest thing about her was that she got picky about riders.. good for me, not good for assistant, good for random junior, not good for actual owner... so she got sold by the owner. I have not seen her at any shows and its been a couple years..

Friend has a gelding, 8 now I think. Boy, the stories I heard about him bolting when he was a "kid"! Very sweet boy to handle. I think he's finally finished growing - 17h+!
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

One of my closest friends has 2-one that she bred from a mare that she describes as "a nothing TB mare" who is so amazing that she bought a 2 yr old to add to her collection. The older one is a super event horse that she has competed since day 1 and did much of the work herself (Amateur), and wins like crazy! Top 3 in dressage and double clear XC and SJ. He really is unbelieveable-she couldn't have bought a more suitable horse for herself if she tried and bred him on a whim! Some people have all the luck. I haven't seen the 2 year old yet, but was told he seems just as mellow as her first at that age. Good luck with yours!

Oh, and we had another Ideal filly here for several months of work. Another lovely, easy horse to train. She was so interested in everything. Loved her.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

The first WB foal I ever bred was by Ideal. I'd bought a nice TB mare. Had her inspected/approved OldNA MMB and "won" the Ideal breeding at the auction. Even then it was about $1200! He was very, very popular then. I really loved the Inschallah in his pedigree as I like AA's.

The foal (a black colt who turned grey) was graded Premium. He could be pretty stubborn at times, but generally was easy going. Started u/s by a "cowboy" trainer and he was no problem at all. Sold him at age 3 to a H/J rider back in FL...they did pretty well as I recall and she just loved him.

I've lost track...his name was Innisfree if any one has seen a horse like that in the ring.

He did get less than perfect feet, but that was through the dam...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    The first WB foal I ever bred was by Ideal. I'd bought a nice TB mare. Had her inspected/approved OldNA MMB and "won" the Ideal breeding at the auction. Even then it was about $1200! He was very, very popular then. I really loved the Inschallah in his pedigree as I like AA's.

The foal (a black colt who turned grey) was graded Premium. He could be pretty stubborn at times, but generally was easy going. Started u/s by a "cowboy" trainer and he was no problem at all. Sold him at age 3 to a H/J rider back in FL...they did pretty well as I recall and she just loved him.

I've lost track...his name was Innisfree if any one has seen a horse like that in the ring.

He did get less than perfect feet, but that was through the dam...
    Innisfree is here in my county and owned by the same person you sold him too.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

We have an Ideal mare who is 14 now, out of an Argentinus/Gepard mare. "Injoy" is not too big, a bit over 15.3h, a near plain liver-ish chestnut, but has THE best canter I have ever sat on, hands down. So incredibly balanced, cadenced, huge step. We bought her from her breeder, who said that was clearly Ideal's doing, because the dam was a bit on the heavy side. This mare is so light on the forehand it's almost freakish. She does effortless canter to walk transitions and uses her hind end SO well. Beautiful hunter type mover. She is also a super scopey jumper and was headed to the Junior hunter ring when she had an unfortunate stifle injury as a 4 yo. She is also very laid back and so easy to deal with. She never gets "up" or "high".

She is one of our top tier broodmares; never made a career due to her injury, unfortunately. Her two foals who have thus far been shown on the line were both Zone Champions and highly ranked Nationally with minimal showing. She was a premium foal herself and has produced 5 wonderful foals by Paparazzo, Rosenthal, Donatelli (2), Furst Impression, and is in foal again to Harvard right now, all beautiful and quiet, as well as gorgeous movers and excellent jumpers, and have all sold as weanlings. We love her since she's so easy all around; she has only been bred 6 times ever and has had 6 pregnancies. She is a little short legged and could have a bit more feminine head and more refined throatlatch, but there is not a lot to complain about!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Default My input ...

Prior to purchasing my TB mare Willow, she had a foal (at foot, actually, when I rode her the first time!) by Ideal. It was a filly who is now coming 14. (Gosh, time flies.) The mare has had some soundness problems but her breeder said it's because Willow stepped on her as a 2-day old foal. Willow was a terrible weaver in the stall, so I sorta believe this!

Anyhoo, the long and short of it is that I think she's quite fancy. Amazing trot and canter, very balanced and compact though she is over 16hh tall. As a young horse, under tack and "going," she had a really enchanting soft way - very huntery. She belongs to my friend Carol Ann now, who has been riding her and I had the opportunity to sit on her a year or so ago. Like Sonesta described earlier about one of her horses, this mare is incredibly flexible and easy to move, so she's a little more sportscar but with a really steady rhythm.

The other I dealt with, briefly, was a 3 yo who'd been bred by a friend of mine. He was out of a TB mare. A bit of a goof and somewhat piggy about certain things - particularly standing in cross ties! I turned around one day and he'd somehow turned right around with the ties criss-crossed over his back! I wound up not keeping him (I had him on a short lease) but he stayed local and a few years later I saw him and he was really really charming. He, too, finished quite big, and had settled into "routine" and had a very citizen quality about him.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I think my girl has some of the 'quirkiness' mentioned above. She is funny in the crossties, and very demanding at times, but is overall really well behaved for a youngster and very, very bold in her way of dealing with new things. I appreciate all the responses! I'm hoping she turns out to be all I'm hoping for, although she is headed for a dressage career and will probably never jump. Sometimes quirkiness is good, right ?