The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hoof Question?

My 2 mares (1 rescued, the other we bought) Had bad hooves when we got them, under horrible circumstances they had to live in a sandy paddock, and when it rained it was muddy. They developed a horrible thrush. I am glad to say that they are now in a much better enviorment. matted stalls and grassy paddocks. The thrush is completly gone, but I had one farrier tell me that the collateral groove at the mid-line of the frog needed to grow back up and out almost like a fan shape after it fills in. He had me put thrush magic in the groove that was open and stuff cotton balls in it, and repeat it every 3 days and it will start growing back. I did it for 2 weeks and my horses could barely walk. I went in to a farrier store and the gentlemen there told me that I should let it air out and just put medicine in it and not the cotton so it can get fresh air. I have been doing what he said and they are starting to walk so much better. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do? I am searching for another farrier. I do not know too much about the horses hooves but I do have an undersatnding. Also I have been using iodine 7% on the bottom of the hooves around the hoof wall where there are cracks and in the grooves in the hoof wall also. A vet who is also a farrier told me to keep the grooves cleaned out and that fresh air was the best way to have those heal and trims every 4 weeks. None of the horses are shoed.
    Last edited by victorian24; Oct. 11, 2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm sure that others with greater expertise will weigh in, but I think at this stage it's a good idea just to keep the horses in a clean environment and not put iodine or other stuff on the hooves, unless a vet tells you differently.

Thrush is pretty opportunistic, and it may be that with the change in their environment, better and more regular hoof care, good all around nutrition, the horses' hooves will develop better form without additional aggressive treatment. It sounds like you have the thrush itself under control.

It just takes about 6 to 9 months for the hoof to grow out completely, and you may have to wait to see the frogs become wide and fully grown out.

Good luck.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post
    I'm sure that others with greater expertise will weigh in, but I think at this stage it's a good idea just to keep the horses in a clean environment and not put iodine or other stuff on the hooves, unless a vet tells you differently.

Thrush is pretty opportunistic, and it may be that with the change in their environment, better and more regular hoof care, good all around nutrition, the horses' hooves will develop better form without additional aggressive treatment. It sounds like you have the thrush itself under control.

It just takes about 6 to 9 months for the hoof to grow out completely, and you may have to wait to see the frogs become wide and fully grown out.

Good luck.

Ok great! Thanks for the info. Thats good to hear