The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Average Cost of Clinics?

This is sort of a spinoff from the "do H/J people go to clinics" thread. I was drooling over some of the clinics some of you have gone to and wondered about the average cost for a clinic these days with a top-level h/j clinician.

We don't get a ton of clinic opportunities in my neck of the woods, but I'd like to be prepared and have my wits about me if a really great opportunity were to present itself...

Prices can vary quite a bit depending on who the clinician is, how many days and sessions there are and whether or not stabling and other amenities are included.

For example, Chris Kappler is doing a clinic in northern NJ in november and the cost is $500 for 2 days. The total amount of riding is 4 hours, split into two sessions, one on a saturday and one on a sunday. Stabling is included as are breakfast and lunch for the rider and 4 auditors (auditing fee also included for those 4). At some clinic you just pay for the session itself and add extra fees on top depending on what you want/need.

$500 seems on the pricey side, but it does include a lot of stuff. When you do gather info, make sure you find out what is included so you are comparing apples to apples.

I've seen these prices vary quite a bit. $150-$200 / day seems average from what I've seen

I've seen prices vary depending on who the clinician is. Typically, its around 250$ for the clinic itself, which is usually 2 1/2 - 4 hours of lessons. On top of this is stabling, meals, auditing fees, etc, which vary depending on the location.

Frank Madden is $750 for two days... stabling, bedding and meals not included. O.o

Greg Best this time around was $600 or $650 for three days? 1.5-2 hours a day, groups of 2-4. (Last two times I've gone I got a group of 2 and gotten about an hour 45 each day... which by the end of both me and my horse have jello knees.)

Will Coleman was about the same as Greg to do three days.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileItLooksGoodOnYou View Post
    Frank Madden is $750 for two days... stabling, bedding and meals not included. O.o
    [snip]
    and I thought $500 was expensive.

What does it cost to be in a regular training program with Frank - i.e. what the BigEq people do?

On average I would say $500-$650.

George Morris is $650 for two days, stabling, bedding and meals not included.

Greg Best is $650 for 3 days, stabling, bedding and meals not included.

Geez, I don't know where some of you clinic, but I wish I lived there!

Average clinic prices for top level folks have been around $650 to $750 for a two day clinic.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    What does it cost to be in a regular training program with Frank - i.e. what the BigEq people do?
    When Frank first came to Hunter's Moon on LI his training/showing program was $3700 per month. That was a couple of years ago, I don't know if prices have gone up.

^^^ Please tell me that is full service board plus training, not just the latter.

Also, whyare he and Stacia not at the same barn? Did they split? (I thought they were married)

Anne Kursinski clinic coming up soon is $250/day and $18/day for stabling

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    When Frank first came to Hunter's Moon on LI his training/showing program was $3700 per month.
    HOLY OUTRAGEOUSNESS!

^^^ Please tell me that is full service board plus training, not just the latter.

Also, whyare he and Stacia not at the same barn? Did they split? (I thought they were married)
    Sorry, I should have specified that included full service. Full service board without training was $2200 at the time, but again, that was 2 or more years ago.

Frank and Stacia divorced several years ago.

I have watched his clinics and he is excellent, worth the expense if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by 49th_parallel View Post
    HOLY OUTRAGEOUSNESS!
    In the NY/CT/NJ area we are talking about $3000 - $4000 for full service and training at a big show barn is not at all unusual, unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Sorry, I should have specified that included full service. Full service board without training was $2200 at the time, but again, that was 2 or more years ago.

Frank and Stacia divorced several years ago.

I have watched his clinics and he is excellent, worth the expense if you can afford it.
    Not to hijack the thread, but how much training/riding time was involved in the $1500 additional for training?

Regarding clinics, I know Frank Madden has an incredible reputation, but I'm just surprised to see people charging more than GM does.

How long has GM been doing clinic sessions for the under 3' crowd? I think it's great that he is addressing the needs of the lower levels, but I was under the impression he didn't do that sort of thing and only geared his clinics towards 3'6" and up...

Not to hijack the thread, but how much training/riding time was involved in the $1500 additional for training?
    I don't know how much was involved at Hunter's Moon but from what I understand, training board at these kinds of places frequently means about 5 days a week, whether in lessons for the horse's owner or training rides by the pro. I have known people to board where it included as many lessons or training rides as they wanted per week.