The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Catch Riding, who pays for what?

I haven't catch ridden anything since I was a teen, so all of the rules may have changed.

I know, if I ask someone else to show MY horse, I cover the fee's associated with it...I choose the classes and pay for them, stall, office fee's, etc. These have always been small local shows, but still.

I have been asked by a good friends trainer if I would be available to show a sales horse for her at an "A" show next month...they are coming as planned, but the person who was going to show the horse can no longer come. They have people lined up to see the horse it sounds like. I have ridden with this trainer, etc and have ridden this horse, once. It would be three classes I think, all small stuff, nothing higher than 3ft. I had already planned on being there to help out, etc.

That being said, I was shocked when she said I would be responsible for all of the show fee's. She basically said "he would be your horse for the weekend". Stall, grounds fees, classes, office fee's, etc would all be on my tab.

I balked at that idea...if I had the $$$$ to show at this kind of show I would take my own horse! Or, if I had asked HER about showing the horse, then I could understand that. I said I would be willing to cover my classes as long as it wasn't a crazy amount, but that was it. Am still waiting to hear back.

So...whats the norm here...someone asks you to show their horse in a few classes at a show they are coming to...who pays for what?

Thanks.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I would say "Nice try, Sunshine-- but if you want me to show your horse, you need to pay the bills."

The owner normally covers this stuff, right...not the trainer?

I inquired about the owner paying and the trainer flat out said no...so to me, it doesnt sound like she wants to horse sold.

Yeah.. nice try for them, but no.. you shouldn't be paying any of it. They want you to show off the horse, you are doing them the favor...

Yep, as others have said, you're doing them the favor of catch riding: they pay.

I am catch riding one this weekend at a local show and I expect everything to be paid for except my own snacks, food and whatnot. I even expect them to pay the trainer's fee, too.

I always thought if you were catch-riding, the owner paid all expenses & if you were a professional, they paid a reasonable fee to you. If not a professional, they show their gratitude by buying dinner or a gift, or something.

Then again, I'm just not contemplating using a catch-rider in the future, so no time like the present for me to learn the protocol!
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I'm sorry, but that's total crap. That is their horse and they asked you to ride it. They pay the bills. Period.

All of this is pretty much what I had thought, but since I havent done it in a while I was unsure.

I am not a Pro and would expect to cover my own meals, etc...I had already gotten a hotel room since I had planned on being there to play groom and mental support for the weekend.

I'd love to do it as I dont get to show at this level very often due to costs...so that being said, if I could afford to do it, I would do it on my own horse!

If I were a cynic, I might think that A. the owner doesn't even know the horse is going to the show and B. the owner would get billed for the show expenses after the fact even though you paid them. But I'm not a cynic. Nope, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I would say "Nice try, Sunshine-- but if you want me to show your horse, you need to pay the bills."
    This
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard of. If someone asks you to show the horse, they should pay all the show and entry fees. In this case the owner should take care of the expenses. The only circumstance under which you should pay the show fees would be if you had asked to use the horse.

Why isn't the trainer showing the horse? Does she have a conflict with another class that she has to ride in or warm someone up for? I agree that the whole thing sounds strange.

Yep. If you are catch riding or they ask you to show it for them then they pay. Whether it's owner or trainer is really of no concern to you, it's just not you that pays it.

If you ask if you can show it, then you pay.

For example, I have a decent little horse here and a friend didn't have anything to show and asked if I minded if she took this horse to a show. Nope I don't mind a bit. She's not for sale or anything but it would be good for her to go, so if you want to have at it. But she is paying for it.
    But had I asked her to show it for me, then I would be paying.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Just to play devil's advocate, did the trainer think you really wanted to ride at the show, but didn't have a horse, so they offered you the horse so you would have the opportunity to show? Maybe this was a misunderstanding?

The trainer is showing her own horse and there could be a possible ring conflict from looking at the schedule.

Of course, if the owner is not paying for the expenses, that could be why the trainer isn't showing it...she doesn't want to do it on her own dime.

After speaking with my friend who boards with the above trainer, it sounds like the owner thinks the horse can be sold locally, without traveling to a bigger "A" show which results in more fees. So, I don't know...it all sounds weird to me, but, since I don't actually board there or even ride there, its hard to say.

Kimball, I don't think that's it.

She knew I was going to be there playing "groom", etc...I rarely get to see my childhood friend who boards and rides at this barn...and with them only being 2 hours away at this show, I jumped at the chance to see her and watch her ride.

The horse in question was coming anyway, but the junior who was supposed to ride it can no longer come...sounds like it was sorta the same thing...they only do a few big shows a year and they want to do Ocala and cant justify the expense on a horse they are not leasing, etc. Sounds like the kid had been riding the horse to have something "seasoned" to play on while her baby got some training, but again, since I dont board there I really dont know the logistics.

I got the call yesterday asking if I would be willing to show the horse since I was going to be there anyway. Which, made it sound like a catch ride situation. Upon further inquiry I find out about the expenses.

Found out a bit ago that the owner is willing to pay for the stall, but that's it. Which, take a large chunk out of the expenses but still leaves me with a bill over $300.

I use catch riders at almost every show since we just do ponies and I don't have my own students. I pay all the show bills..stalls, braiding, entry fees, etc, but the trainer often does not bill me for his/her time or the parent of the child pays the training fee. They usually tell me they appreciate the learning experience and the opportunity for the child to ride a very nice pony. I generally use very experienced kids that are trying to get better and better. The ONLY time I don't pay show fees is if the child or trainer asks to show the pony in a class that I didnt plan on....like an equitation class.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

I agree with everyone else--THEY asked YOU to show THEIR horse in front of prospective customers and they want you to pay for the whole thing? I'd tell them "If you want me to pay for everything then I expect a commission when he sells."

That's ridiculous. You didn't ask if you could show something for the weekend, they're the ones who asked you! I don't ask a friend to drive my car somewhere for me and then ask her for the gas money. It's not a catch ride if you're paying for it, it's a one show free lease. I haven't used a catch rider often, but I have never asked one to pay for anything. Even this year, I had someone catch ride one of my green ponies for the whole season and I never asked her to pay for anything. She didn't ask me if she could show it, I asked her; therefore, I'm the one who wants it shown and I'm the one who pays.

Generally, if YOU ask, you pay. If THEY ask, they pay.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

They actually came to you to ask you to ride their sales horse then expect YOU to pay? Where IS that fruitbat?
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/