The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Spinoff- can you recycle plastic pellet bags?

I have about a gazillion plastic bags from my stall pellets. I use some to sell/give away my composted manure, but I still have that ginormous pile of bags. Can you recycle them in the same bins that grocery store bags recycle in??

I know that the feed bags I use have that damn plastic liner in them, and aren't "recyclable" unless you tear it out.

I HATE the plastic "gunny sack" bags my oats come in--what in the blue blazes do you do with those?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Do the wood pellets come in thick, clear plastic bags? You can recycle those in the same bins that take things like bleach bottles, plastic milk cartons, etc. They are not the same as plastic grocery bags.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Yes, Guin, they are those heavy plastic bags. I do have some that are not as thick, though. I think I'll ask at the "transfer station" (think fancy name for "dump") the next time I take a load up. We recycle there, as well as dump our two garbage cans once a month.

I am in your area. Someone from my barn does the recycling and I know they recycle these bags at the transfer station. I will have to check into this though.

I re-use all of my feed bags (dog, cat, horse) as garbage bags in the kitchen. They fit almost perfectly in the tall kitchen garbage can. When full I roll the excess top down and put in curb side pickup garbage can. They work great & I am at least reusing for another purpose & I save on having to buy garbage bags.

"I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I use them as trash bags as well--at least the ones my feed comes in--the new Nutrena plastic ones.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I board at a barn that gets the pelleted bedding in bags as well. At least here that is recyclable. Basically the guys cut open the pallet (ours are wrapped pallets) then they leave that open and toss the individual empty bags in it. Once that pallet is done, they wrap up the large pallet wrap with everything inside and put it to the side. The BO takes that to the dump (recycling is done there) about once a month as that is a very full pickup. It isn't something you get paid for though like plastic bottles, but she also doesn't have to pay to get rid of it either.

it really depends

does it have a recycle symbol and number on it? If it has a symbol, it is recyclable

however your recycler determines if they can handle that number ( plastic)

if they do, you are good, if they don't you might have to store them up and take them to a larger recycler, such as one in Portland.

You can use them to gift gardening co-workers with composted horse manure.

Trixie grew potatoes in a bunch of plastic feed sacks at our barn this summer.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    it really depends

does it have a recycle symbol and number on it? If it has a symbol, it is recyclable

however your recycler determines if they can handle that number ( plastic)

if they do, you are good, if they don't you might have to store them up and take them to a larger recycler, such as one in Portland.
    The bags I get are #4 and not recyclable here. I use them as trash bags and have freecycled some of them
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Crimson Bramble Rd, Rochester, NY 14623-4204

Default Reply

After reusing such feed bags use usually send them to recycling bin, where such bags and bottles are recycled to by companies like Replas to manufacture various plastic recycled products such as picket fencing, agility, etc.

I reuse mine around the house all the time. Great for garbage and for when I pooper scoop the yard and clean the cat boxs.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I HATE the plastic "gunny sack" bags my oats come in--what in the blue blazes do you do with those?
    We always bagged shavings in them, tied with binder twine, then stored them in the hayloft on top of our hay piles. Then you don't need a separate area to store bulk shavings.

I would also use them when we got a new truckload of hay in -- I would stuff all the loose/fallen/broken bales into the bags and then feed them as needed.

Those bags are great - you can keep re-using them forever!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I've been sending my plastic feed bags into the recycle outfit...we just have to put them into a blue container and set them out so I haven't had any feedback on if they can take them or not. They carry them off with the rest though.

I want to know why feed manufacturers are all switching over to plastic bags from paper bags anyway? It would seem like they ought to be switching in the other direction to conserve petroleum and use a renewable resource like wood for the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post

I want to know why feed manufacturers are all switching over to plastic bags from paper bags anyway? It would seem like they ought to be switching in the other direction to conserve petroleum and use a renewable resource like wood for the paper.
    I've wondered this as well. Dog food, horse feed, everything is showing up in those plastic bags. I do at least wish they'd clearly indicate the recycle-ability somewhere (obvious ... ) on the bags.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I do actually have an update to my original question, now that this thread has been resurrected!

I can simply place my "stretchable plastic bags" (pellet sacks, not feed bags, sadly) in the plastic bag recycling bins at grocery stores! Yay! My school has joined up with Portland, OR's recycling/composting program so I can put them in the giant bin in our parking lot now. So happy! I can put buckets in the bins there, too. Double happiness!