The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Well I bought a broker horse. *Pics added. Thanks Roo!

There, I said it.

I lost my heart horse (ironically named "Heart") unexpectedly two and a half years ago. I still miss her every day. Quit riding and had no interest. Still had to go to the barn every day because I have 16 others to take care of.

I am a COTH reader and I look at different pages, mostly to see the end of the story. In late February I saw this horse on the broker listings. Can't tell you why, I just looked at him and thought "that's my horse." He is a plain gelding in a plain bay wrapper, not a particularly good mover, but I just knew. So I took a huge deep breath, talked to my husband and daughter and just bought him. He went through a month quarantine and arrived in late March. Being the very careful plod along type of human that I am, this was totally out of character for me.

What did I get? I got this kind, quiet level headed horse who takes care of my decrepit 50 year old fanny. In late summer I started showing again in what I term the old lady pleasure classes because I think its fun, and he takes good care of me--even though he probably thinks they are kind of stupid. But then he gets to go jump fences with my daughter, which he has discovered he really likes to do.

I guess you could say I needed him like he needed me.

I never thought in a million years I would ever do anything like this. I even posted once that I couldn't consider it because I really don't ride that well. My point is, I could only make a difference for one, and he is a very happy boy. Sometimes you really don't find your horse, he finds you.
    Last edited by Skeezix; Oct. 12, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Edit title
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Congratulations on your new boy. It sounds like the two of you are meant for each other. And, yes I do think horses find their own people!
    And nothing bad happened!

what a nice story, and since when is 50 decrepit?
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Congrats on getting him and having him work out perfectly for you and your daughter!

Congratulations!

When you find the right horse for you that moment in your life, you are all smiles.
    I can see you smile thru your words.

You were very lucky, you know?
    It takes some several "that is the right horse, I want it", to get the truly right one.
    Then, some just make it work, no matter what they got.

Two lucky ones here is right, you and your horse.

Skeezix, I got a lovely gelding in much the same way, although he didn't come from a broker, but came from the track instead.
    I had been looking at a different gelding, but the owner wanted to keep running him, so I walked away. A couple of days later I got a call from a trainer I know saying I HAD to come see this horse. I wasn't sure; my dad was dying of an aggressive form of cancer, and I didn't know if I had enough emotional energy to take on a new horse. I talked with friends who know me best, and each one said "Take him. You'll need him".
    So, we went to look, and there was SOMETHING about him that said yes. (Beside the great clowning performance he put on at his stall at the track).
    THey were right. I did, and do need him, just as your lovely horse and you needed each other.
    Want to know what the first part of his registered name is, and therefore his barn name?
    Heart.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Great story, Skeezix. I'm so happy for you both!

I think we need to see pictures of your special "plain" horse!

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    I think we need to see pictures of your special "plain" horse!
    Just what I was thinking! How can you post a wonderful story like that and not show us your boy? Congratulations and thank you for giving him such a wonderful home. You are lucky to all have each other.
    '98 Elbader (GB) - JC Thoroughbred Gelding
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Filly
    '11 Machiatto G - Thoroughbred Colt

That's awesome--congratulations! And now pictures are needed. (:

Bogey--tend to agree 50 isn't decrepit, but after yesterday's show and coming home and cleaning stalls--at that point pretty good description

Unfortunately, I am not very technically inclined. I manage FB because it is a great way to see grandchild pictures, but other than that, kind of hopeless at posting pictures.

And yes, I was very lucky. When I told my sister what I had done the conversation went something like "How do you know he isn't crazy?" "Well, I don't" "How do you know he isn't lame?" "Well, he didn't look like it on the short video" And then I think she was seriously considering making the call to have me committed . . .

DeeThbd congratulations on your very own Heart horse

Congratulations!

I'm a whole hearted believer in the idea that horses find you (if you let them). I refuse to ever get frustrated when trying to buy or sell a horse because I know that everything happens for a reason....meaning horses always find you when you need them (or they need you).

Congratulations! What a great story.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

So happy for you Skeezix!

Yours and my story are very similar. I lost my Jack a year and half ago and just a few months later found Dixie on a dealer's website. She's nothing like what I usually have, but you really do "know" when you've found the right one! And she turned out to be the most fun horse I've ever owned. I go places with her that I would never consider going with one of my OTTB's. We trailride all over the place, go to little open shows (she was year end Green Horse reserve Champ!) and I never have to worry about her or what she'll do.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have many wonderful years of fun with your guy.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

I wish you much joy!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Congratulations!!
    Pictures please!!

Nothing wrong with buying a broker horse. Some of the best horses are those who are listed there.
    Have fun, enjoy, and appreciate your horse.
    While a horse cannot replace another horse, I can tell you that there is more than one special horse out there, and this might be one of them.
    Good luck.

It is always nice to hear about people having fun with their horses. Do you know anything about his history before you found him?