The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanketing

Last edited by ride2town; Apr. 19, 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Depends on the horse. Most of ours are just in rain sheets, but a couple of the more sensitive types (hard keepers etc) have more on...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Mine is just wearing a stable sheet at night. He probably doesn't need it, since he carries insulation of his own, but it makes me feel better and he doesn't seem too warm under it.

Our barn has started with the rain sheets depending on the weather. They are outside all day but come in at night. It's not that cold yet but it's been really really wet.

Quote Originally Posted by ride2town View Post
    Is your barn already blanketing horse if they are stalled/paddocked? It's starting to rain here and my BO would like for everyone to blanket. I have a rain sheet but it seems like she wants me to bring over a lightweight/medium weight blanket already???? Should I blanket my horse already? I think I pretty much have no say in this and have to bring one over(sheet). My horse stays pretty clean and has a stall to go into. She seems to stay in her stall when it rains. It's pretty warm outside, even for me(I get cold easily). I went around in a t-shirt today.

I "accidentally" body clipped my mare last week (my bib clip turned into a modified trace clip including her entire stomach...oops!), and I've still got her in nothing but a rain sheet and she's out 24/7 (with access to shelter, of course). With that being said, she tends to run warmer than my other horses. But even my sensitive TB is still fine in his rain sheet.

It's not terribly cold, and I won't put any of mine into anything heavier until the temps go down further.

Last edited by ride2town; Oct. 21, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

We keep ours at home but we're not doing sheets yet. I usually wait until it's consistently below 50F and RAINING (not just that classic PNW drizzle), or it's icky and I'm planning to ride that day. But then again, I'm not trying to ride every day and we don't clip. I haven't decided if I'm going to actually invest in insulated turnouts this year - we got through last year without them, but it was dry during that super cold snap. If we're going to have wet AND cold weather this year, I may have to bite the bullet.

FWIW, ours are out 14 hours, stalled 10 hours and have trees as shelter when out.

Last edited by ride2town; Oct. 21, 2010 at 04:59 PM.

My horses live outside with access to deeply bedded, large run in sheds. I have not put any rain sheets or blankets on them, they don't get wet because they hang out in the sheds when it rains. It has been very warm and I don't want them to sweat under their sheets.

Depends on the horse, but in my opinion, it is still too warm for anything heavier than a sheet. I find it strange that your BO wants to mandate that every horse has a blanket on. Isn't that usually left up to the owner and the individual needs of the horse? My Fjord would have heatstroke with a blanket on right now.

At the barn where I board, the owner never blankets her horses. She believes in "horses should be allowed to be horses!". But she also rides very rarely and her horses are pretty much just there for a spin around the arena every once in a while.

My horse is ridden at least 5 days a week for an hour a day and shows. He grows a crazy winter coat, so I have to body clip. I can't even put a sheet on him right now, even though it is raining, because it is so warm out. He won't get his rain sheet till I body clip him next week.

Ours spend the day on pasture (no shelter) and nights in stalls with runs.

If I was in your shoes, and my horse was in like yours, I don't think I'd even sheet. And for sure wouldn't blanket. Just me though.

My mare is still in her very lightweight Bucas Sunshower sheet when she's out during the day and it's raining. Naked in her stall at night. As of yesterday, I think it's still too warm for a standard-weight sheet.

At about 50 degrees, she'll move into her standard Northwinds sheet. If it's dry, she's naked.

I think at these temps, my horse is warm enough if she's dry. She's an unclipped Appendix.

Yeesh. Nope, no blankie yet on my little Princess. I'd love to get a rain sheet, and probably will order one next week, but a blanket? Nu uh. She has access to a dry stall, and that's good for me. Not until it's below 50 consistently and WET. Dry and 40, with no wind, and it's naked time for the yak, I mean pony, once again.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Mine just got a trace clip last week, and he's been in his rain sheet probably half the time since then. He's probably getting body clipped in about a month, and then will be blanketed accordingly, but for now is mostly in a rain sheet. He hasn't been too hot underneath it as far as I can tell.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Last edited by ride2town; Oct. 21, 2010 at 04:59 PM.

OP, is your horse in a show barn? or does your BO wash blankets for extra $?

otherwise, I don't know ANY BO who wants to start with the Blanket Wardrobe hassle a day too early. It's a supreme time and energy suck!!!!

Mine hasn't been clipped yet. They are only getting sheets at night, they live in the barn and have been going out in the rain for their turn out naked.

Blanketing won't happen much until they are either clipped or it is really raining for turn out time.

Mine is wearing a lightweight turnout as of yesterday, but he's out 24/7 and (GASP) just has trees for shelter. Feel free to turn me into the SPCA or my local ACO for neglect.

He was displeased that it was blankie time again, when I walked out with it yesterday. However, he's finally up to a decent weight now (starved to skin and bones when I got him) and I'd like to help him stay that way.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson