The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Cow Is Gone

Well I sold my Dexter heifer Friday. It just was not going as I planned, with needing to do the same routine with her next year. I delivered her to some nice people who plan to milk her after she calves next spring. They will have to train her for that themselves!

Heifer was a nice animal, we got her trained so she was pretty cooperative. She came when called, lead and tied, loaded better than some horse I have seen!! She worked out as a GREAT horse training aid, they no longer got excited over anything she did. They did enjoy watching her run around, kind of like "All-Cow TV" anytime.

I can see that cow knowledge, Ho-Hum view of bovines coming in handy in the years ahead in any horse activity they attend. So having her was very worthwhile. We did stall all the boys beside her in the small barn, so each "got over" any cow issues of noise or movement, smells, so close to them. They could see her over the wall, had no issues, handled calmly within a short time stalling in there. We have the Leaping Lamb in that barn too, He stands up to look over the stall wall so horses see him come and go, lots of blatting. All good experiences for any horse.

Cows sure think differently than horses, had to train ourselves to work differently with her reactions. She was pretty much a 2-person cow for DD and me, acted silly with others trying to catch her. They LOVE routine even more than horses. Getting licked is like running sandpaper over your skin! She loved to lick shoes too, not sure why.

May take some time to quit looking for the extra brown head with the round ears, when doing headcounts in the fields.

Cows, like horses and people, are each one an individual being.
    They are nice to have around and it is better to have more than one, they like each other company, tend to act wilder alone, although they can bond to other species also for company.

You do miss them when they are gone, but you will get used to one less bump out there.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    She loved to lick shoes too...
    Renewing an old acquaintance?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Renewing an old acquaintance?
    Ha-Ha, never thought of that!