The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Well, I have a Bouvier puppy and I am in LOVE! He seems respectful of horses (after 2 near misses) he travel wells and he comes when he is called. What more can I ask for?

Sorry if this is way off the eventer topic.

Well, I have a Bouvier puppy and I am in LOVE! He seems respectful of horses (after 2 near misses) he travel wells and he comes when he is called. What more can I ask for?

Sorry if this is way off the eventer topic.

Jack russells and fox terriers seem to be pretty popular down here. I like German pointers http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    Chief Irrelevant Poster and member of the Broken Leg Brigade.

I wouldn't event at all, but it feels SO GOOD when you complete in one piece...

I've been thinking about this topic on and off, too, as my beloved retrievers age. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif The next dog will ideally have all of these qualities:

*Not huge, but no ankle-biters
    *A super watchdog for the new farm, including good at keeping varmints away
    *Great with kids, including being protective and best friend material. A dog like "Lassie" who would run for help should kid get in trouble would be perfect...without all the collie HAIR. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    *Not a wandering idiot who's going to disappear
    *Good with chickens since I want to have a few of those on the new place
    *Not horrendously hairy so it can hang out in the house, but not a wussy thing that can't hack it overnight in the barn, either.
    *Good with horses but I don't care if it loves them, just so long as it's not nuts around them and has the good sense to stay away from the hard, pointed ends. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Any ideas for the ideal farm dog? It can come to events with me if it doesn't bark constantly. Oy, there is NOTHING more irritating than listening to the pitiful crying of a miserably unhappy dog left behind in the stabling area while its owner who "can't go anywhere without poochykins" is off walking the course or riding or whatever. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    Click here before you buy.

Anything rescued from the pound http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Of course, I may be a little partial, with my two rescues and all http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I would say Australian Shepherds, because they are so darn smart. You do have to be careful about which kind you get, the herding kind or the family kind. The one I have is wonderful around horses and wont run away. However, i have never taken him to an event. I think there are mini Aussies too!

Austrial Shepards are great. Very smart, loyal, great with horses, wonderful with kids, cats, anything with 2 or 4 legs. I love my aussie, he is the best dog I ever owned. Athletic, but not too high, great brain.

I also have a rescue border collie, very sweet, but he has tons of energy and a short attention span http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif My aussie is great with him, keeps him in line, calms him down.
    Now living in Area 3, Sweet Home Alabama

CORGI'S!!!

I've been around tons at shows... so many people love them. I know a little Corgi who goes around at events and gives everybody sad, hungry faces and then she comes back with a full belly and has to sleep with the horses overnight.

VERY friendly, and very smart when it comes to the horses.

I have a couple of rotties and a boarder collie. While one of my rotties is an wonderful show dog and has been around the show jumper circuit and the event circuit (she's now getting up in years--12 this 4th of July)--my boarder collie is more portable. He's also great out on hacks and very smart!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My farm dogs are all english mastiffs! They are great with the kids, don't chase the horses, can't fit through the fences, don't bark, stay put, loves the cats, scares away strangers by their sheer size, fit in foal halters, and I can tie then at the washrack to bathe them. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif I loff them! They are just like having ponies.
    ***enter witty comment here...pretend it\'s mine***
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    www.stoneybrookefarm.com

I'm partial to the dreaded Australian Cattle Dog. Smart, loyal, attentive, cheerful, no dog smell, indestructible. Most don't bark much, which is good as their bark is distinctive and ear-splitting.

Another advantage of the ACD is you can't lose one. They will never leave you. You can leave home for a week and they'll sit glued to your front steps.

You will also never need an alarm clock. They keep farm hours no matter where they live and get horribly worried about you if you don't want to get up at first light. If you don't like this trait, black-out fabric for your windows does the trick.

Pit bulls. Mine come on my road work with me, they are both therapy certified, so they are well behaved at HTs with any kids (or adults who happen to act like kids LOL) and honestly more people don't know what an American Staffordshire Terrier looks like until I tell them. They are a good energy for a working farm, little hair/shedding, and all around great dogs. Quiet and clean, but bark just enough that you know there is a dog there.

Deltawave, I used to show a smooth coat collie. Just like the rough coat hairy version, only a whole lot less hair!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

THe best dog I ever had around horses was my St. Bernard. He was the best! He just passed away this past November. I've been thinking about another dog, and will probably get one towards the end of spring (as an educator I get summers off and will have more time).
    SimplyIdle,
    Unfortunately, rescuing from the "pound" is easier said then done when you have young children. I'm finding it almost impossible to find a suitable dog, not because they're not out there, but because the local shelters, rescues etc are hesitant to adopt to families with young children. There's one near my parents' place that won't adopt out to families with children under the age of 7!!! And this is to me, a person with a M.Ed and certification in Canine Behavior and Training, years of experience in kennels, and I worked at the humane society as primary caretaker to the dogs when I first moved to NH! I'm not giving up, as I would love to give a dog a home that needs one, I'm just saying it's very discouraging! They'd rather adopt out to college students that will leave in a few months! (College town).
    Grab mane and kick on!

My Bernese Mountain Dog is GREAT with horses, cats, kids, people. I am addicted to the breed.

Australian cattle dog.

I’ve had a few dogs, but this has been the only breed that has successfully followed me on horseback on trails and cross country. "Blue", a common name for an ACD, came with me on trails for many years. She never harassed or bit my horse (or me!), she ran along, and did her job = made neighborhood dogs that tried to chase my horse back off, killed groundhogs, etc! We live in the middle of nowhere and she successfully protected me and our property, yet was the sweetest, most loving family member you could imagine and the perfect girl at horse shows, to the point that my then trainer was trying to lure her to come live with him. No success, these are one person dogs but will love the family.

She was a working girl. I could sick her on a nasty pony that at feeding time terrorised the geldings he was turned out with. She followed hand and voice signals and kept him at bay… he pawed and bucked and was furious, but she lay down and nailed him with her gaze, if he dared to approach the herd she’d cut him off. She even watched the sports channel with my boyfriend, and let his son pull her ears! We miss her.

Now I have Luke, an AKC Champion and hell on wheels, probably the smartest and most curious dog I’ve ever met (hey, I have lived with Dobermans ect!) and I have Scarlett, a sweet little puppy cattle dog (kind of) from the same local pound where Blue came from.

This breed comes with a warning label, however: Not for beginners. I had good luck with ones from the pound but you have to train these guys. Some are impounded because without human interaction and proper guidance they are outlaw cattle chases and the neighboring farmers call the animal control. They think like a dingo, bite like an alligator, and take a blow like a prize fighter (= this should appeal to eventers, or not?).

For some folks puppies work best, as if you catch them young you can train them to like cats and what not, more at www.cattledog.com if you are up for a rescue, check out http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/TN239.html , they will arrange for shipping to aproved homes.

If you want a dog that is ten times smarter than you, is the bushman’s best friend, will die for you with his/ her boots on, and is some hundred times tougher than you, think dingo. That’s the main ingredient that went into this breed, together with a myriad of sheep dogs from England and environs, dalmatian (to make them horse friendly), kelpie (another smart breed), bull dog (for bite) and others. A good history of breed is at http://www.kombinalong.com/study/index.htm

Hey, who got me started on this? ACDs rule!

PS. I had a Bernese Mountain dog when I was a kid. LOVE them, and will have one again, but they're not quite hardy enough to follow and protect you for hours and hours on trails/ cross country. A fantastic family dog, though!

www.westwiththewind.com

Greyhound! They are greyt dogs! In fact, I'm waiting to adopt my first.... should have her before show season starts. Can't wait to bring her along - yippee - http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    Illegitimis nil carborundum - "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

Around here, Heelers rule! It seems there are tons of them around Area IX. So I am right there with you concertogrosso.

Reed

Any dog that is well-behaved, friendly, and stays with its mom/dad or is on a leash at shows is good for me! I love dogs, but not rummaging through my stuff, peeing & pooping in front of my stall, or whining, barking and snapping at other dogs/people.

But Corgis rule...just ask mine!!!