The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh no, sport misconception in KY Media

Uggh, the title of this article starts "Men's show jumping led by big four.." I guess they don't realize there is no such thing as Men and Women's Show Jumping ;-(.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/10/08/1...link=mirelated

I always make such a big deal out of telling parents riding is one of the very few sports (I think other than sailing??) where men and women compete on equal footing, and it so good for girls to get involved, and the US has produced so many great international women etc...

I wish one of the woman had made it into the top four. Oh well.

That typo made me laugh (and yes, I'm a female), but they did mention Laura at the end.

Yeah, it kind of made me laugh that they mentioned Laura Kraut at the end-it's like, did they think she was man, or just some crazy woman who entered a male sport??

The KY newspaper coverage of the games has been really bad IMO. They have been covering the games more as human interest material, not sport. When they try to cover it as sport, the ignorance of the writer/s is obvious. Even some of the photos have been ridiculous--there was at least one bizarre photo of a dressage horse at a very awkward and undramatic part of its stride, even I had better photos with my little point and shoot camera! The article kimball1 links for us is just another example of the poor reporting. I have no idea how this sort of thing works, but couldn't the newspaper find a representative from each discipline to quickly eyeball the articles for gross problems & help a tiny bit with the photo choices?