The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Sylvester (the movie)

Fresh home from the Horse Park, I conspired to rent Sylvester for my daughter (which she loved, being 10). I find it amazing to see both how different and how similar the Horse Park is ... you can recognize trees, one of the long fence lines... the barns are the same. You can watch "Sylvester" jump through the Head of the Lake in an old arrangement (before giant Geese roamed Kentucky). The jumps and the style of course building has changed markedly, and it's weird to see everyone riding without vests.

And the arena has grown up a bit...
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have never seen Sylvester - didn't even know about it. Want to see it now to see the old course especially.

In other commentary, I did see Secretariat last night. I cry even when you're not supposed to. Must be age.

I always liked that movie. Was trying to remember who the stand-in horses were. I think that Marcus Aurelius was supposed to have been in it, but didn't identify him. Wasn't the Gray Goose the stand-in for the eventing shots? A lot of the now old-timers rode in that movie.

I love Sylvester!!! Yes, I believe that is the Gray Goose. I'm pretty sure they also show Tad Coffin with Ballycor (think that's her name) and Bruce Davidson and JJ Babu...haven't seen it in so long! Now I might go put it in the VHS lol

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    I love Sylvester!!! Yes, I believe that is the Gray Goose. I'm pretty sure they also show Tad Coffin with Ballycor (think that's her name) and Bruce Davidson and JJ Babu...haven't seen it in so long! Now I might go put it in the VHS lol
    They used at least three grey stand ins for Sylvester including the Grey Goose.

Kim Meier is in there too - riding her own horse with footage from 1984

love that movie

You will see Kim Walnes on her horse Gray Goose (they placed 3rd individually at the 1982 World Championships) as stand-ins on XC. Pretty interesting when you remember that Mrs. Walnes was in her 30's with 2 or 3 kids at the time.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

As cheeseball as it is, I shamefully admit that Sylvester is probably my all-time favorite movie...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Loved that cheesy movie.

If I remember correctly, the main horse that plays Sylvester in the scenes in Marfa, TX, was from Foxfield Riding Club and was one of the horses used in some of their bridleless, bareback drill team work.

While she's doing her dressage at Rolex, my daughter said indignantly, "Mommy, why don't they show the rider and not just the horse's legs?" and my DH and I busted up laughing.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    I always liked that movie. Was trying to remember who the stand-in horses were. I think that Marcus Aurelius was supposed to have been in it, but didn't identify him. Wasn't the Gray Goose the stand-in for the eventing shots? A lot of the now old-timers rode in that movie.
    I have to admit that I don't remember clips from other events that they may have used. They did use a bunch of footage from Ledyard, etc. that had Bruce, Mike Plumb, Wofford, Tad & Bally Cor, etc. in "International Velvet".
    But my Regional Pony Club team were extras in that film when we were training for Nationals and none of those people were around. Not sure about Kim Meier, I do admit...
    Now, my memory sucks, so I'll admit I may be wrong. And I haven't watched that movie in forever. I prefer International Velvet.
    My former instructor's horse was used as the horse that starts before Sylvester.
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Wow, never saw it. Sounds like we might have to find a copy.

In the movie, they do stadium jumping on a grass field. Is that in the same rough location as the current stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    In the movie, they do stadium jumping on a grass field. Is that in the same rough location as the current stadium?

Yes, stadium for Rolex used to be held on grass in the same location as what is now the main ring.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    They used at least three grey stand ins for Sylvester including the Grey Goose.
    Yes, they used many stand-ins but they had footage from Rolex of The Gray Goose and other riders that weren't stand-ins for the 'Sylvester' horse.

I love that movie too and bought a used DVD copy just to have. Although rated PG, some of the scenes are pretty rough, so be careful showing it to youngsters.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

One of my favorites also! I've tortured many friends (horsey, or not) with this movie.

THP....what scenes are you referring to?!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default My fav

This is on my tack locker:

“Now – some of you may have come here with the impression that Dressage is frightfully boring, compared with the greater glory of the cross-country event.
    That’s because you all lack sophistication!
    The cross-country event is considered by some, to be an opportunity to display carefree abandon.
    This is a mistake for which I would cheerfully reintroduce Capital punishment!
    It is a test of BRAINS!!”
    Capt Johnson (played by Anthony Hopkins) from International Velvet.

Loved both Velvets and Sylvester AND the Horse in the Grey flannel Suit AND The Horse with the Flying Tail.
    Not to mention the Black Stallion
    Trivia: In the Black Stallion there is a scene where Alec goes into the tack room and looks around. There is a photo of "Henry" on a horse. It is a photo of him on the "Pie" in National Velvet. Loved it!

But even my teenaged self knew that the horse "dancing in the moonlight" was not the same horse that tossed Melissa Gilbert (LAURA!) into the water tank. Still it was great movie!
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    http://atoxcequestrian.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/127749947563045/

I just made the mistake of checking, and International Velvet is available on Netflix On Demand, for those out there like me who are looking to procrastinate schoolwork...

Sylvester is available to order too, just not immediately.