The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I see dead horses!!

Its near Halloween, and now's the time to tell your ghost horse stories. Must be true!

Tell a stoy about seeing, hearing, experiencing ghosts of horses past - or riders or former owners of a horse farm. Keep it horse related, and this will be a good thread!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Damn, CROTCH ate my reply. I had a great story, took me forever to write it out. Will have to do it again, later tonight. Sorry.

This is always a favorite when telling ghost stories:

The Mysterious Hoofprints At Bath

There are several versions of the story, and photographs supposedly of the hoofprints available on the internet (so it must be true, right?). Use your favorite search engine!

If you like such tales, see if your library has a copy of The Devil's Tramping Ground.
    Last edited by Frank B; Oct. 8, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I don't have any ghost horse stories. What about ghost dogs?

Yeah, tell the ghost dog stories. I still don't have time to rewrite my story, but I will, I swear!

I saw a show on Animal Planet about a haunted horse barn not too long ago. The horses were getting moved to different stalls in the middle of the night, and were acting like they were being startled. The people thought someone was playing a joke on them, and then as it kept happening actually had the police come and stake the place out. No one went in or out of the barn and still the horses had been moved around by morning. They smelt smoke quite often too, to the extent the fire department came in one day. THEY smelled smoke too, but couldn't find a source. After the owners did some research they found the barn was not original, it had burnt down way back when and had been rebuilt. One of the previous property owners had died as well, and they think it is him still moving the horses around.

Wow. That's spooky.

I read "When Ghosts Speak" by Mary Ann Winkowski recently. The show "Ghost Whisperer" is based on her life. She says that there are ghost horses that hang around race tracks, and ghost jockeys, too. She would get them to pass over if she could. However, she said that there is one stallion at an unnamed racetrack that wouldn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by terasa View Post
    I saw a show on Animal Planet about a haunted horse barn not too long ago. The horses were getting moved to different stalls in the middle of the night, and were acting like they were being startled. The people thought someone was playing a joke on them, and then as it kept happening actually had the police come and stake the place out. No one went in or out of the barn and still the horses had been moved around by morning. They smelt smoke quite often too, to the extent the fire department came in one day. THEY smelled smoke too, but couldn't find a source. After the owners did some research they found the barn was not original, it had burnt down way back when and had been rebuilt. One of the previous property owners had died as well, and they think it is him still moving the horses around.

Officially creeped out. That made the hair at the back of my neck stand up.