The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fec' Test Results

Okay, I just did my first fecal tests. My vet had never suggested it. I asked if she thought we should do them, just to see. If anyone knows much about them, can you PM me? I'd like to see what your thoughts are on the results and what the vet suggested.

Thanks!

Why don't you post the results here

Unhappy

Because I am quite frankly embaressed by them! I thought I was doing a pretty good job of caring for my boys.

Please don't be embarrassed

If this helps:
    I've had FECs done about twice a year for the last 4. Always clean or very low counts. At least 2x year deworming, Spring and Fall. Yearly Power Pack. I think the first of those 4 years I aggressively dewormed.

Spring this year - clean FEC again. Did double dose Strongid in May for tapes. Hot dry Summer. Sept the FEC was high. One was high at 500+, the other was high as 1100 WTH??

There was no reason for that to have happened, but it did, and I've talked to quite a few folks in this general area and they've had the same problem, and THEY have talked to some other folks with the same issue. So.... who the heck knows?

So, don't be embarrassed

Yes, please, post them here and don't be embarrassed. I got a new horse in that was on good, regular program and he was around 350, but the one that shocked me recently was a yearling that had been in MY care and de-wormed monthly was 900!!!

My horse's results have been very very low, but I'm a little worried I'm just choosing the wrong poop ball

....if there's nothing else to obsess about.... worry about your poop sampling skills. **sigh**
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Okay - be nice to me though - pretty please....

They were wormed with Quest on 9/14. Sample was taken on 9/30. Sample is from my 26 y.o. who has been on the farm for 10 years. Hasn't been on the trailer/off the farm for the last two years (at least).

Roundworms - 500
    Strongyles - 1600

Vet suggested to double dose on my next worming or consider a daily wormer for 45 days then retest.

I am just amazed/embaressed that his counts are so high!

Ok, something is very wrong here - there is no way, barring some gawdawful resistance issue, there should have been anything but a clean to VERY low count 2 weeks after using Quest

Are you SURE you dosed adequately enough?

You shouldn't be embarrassed though, not in the least! Amazed, confused, puzzled, aghast, yes! I don't understand

Roundworms are ascarids. I'm not terribly surprised at a count there, as they are resistant to a high enough degree to the -ectins. But it's troubling that an *adult* has that sort of ascarid load. It means his immune system is either very compromised, or he was never properly treated for them as a foal, or both. The only thing proven now to have enough effect on ascarids are double-dosing fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate. Is that what your vet meant about the double dose? I HOPE he didn't mean to DD Quest!

There is actually 1 really good benefit to the daily dewormer (pyrantel tartrate) in that it kills ascarids before they get to any maturation point of doing any damage. So, for this particular horse, this is one of the few times I'd even say a DW was a good idea

But the strongyles, OMG, are you 100000% sure you dosed correctly? Did you write down the batch/exp date of the Quest you used? If you dosed correctly, the FEC was done correctly, then I think someone higher up needs to know about this, as this is very, very bad.

Red face

Thanks JB. I knew it was a wild report - that's why if it wasn't mine, I'd have the same response you did!

This horse is HARD to worm on a good day. He's about 15.2ish and is thought to be IR/Cushings/EPM, etc. He most likely does have a funky immune system. I have him on Evitex and it helps a ton. Just added MSM about a month ago. He has a tendency to spit a little bit of wormer out even after holding his head up until you feel like your arms are going to collapse. I gave him a full tube (always have on purpose!). I did not write down the information about the Quest. Vet pulled the fecal ball out of this horse herself. I need to check which variety she wanted to DD, but it was NOT Quest (sorry about that!).

So, my list of questions:

Would you go ahead and have the other horses (only two) tested to check their loads?

Put all of the horses on the Daily Wormer or just this one?

Do a Power Pack on this and/or all of the horses?

When do I do the double dose?

How well do picky eaters accept the Daily Wormer? One of the others stopped eating when I tried to add the MSM to his feed!

Thanks for the time!

Sorry to butt in here but since its a similar subjet I feel no need to start a whole new thread. Anyway does anyone know how long a fecal sample stays good for? I got one from my horse on Tuesday and stuck it in the fridge. I am supposed to drop it off at my vet office but haven't had a chance yet. I am hoping to tomorrow. How long do they stay good for in the fridge?
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Ya know, my vet was just telling me a story last week about a horse that had constant diarrhea that her and the owner could not get to resolve. After a year of battling, the owner decided to put the horse down. The vet offered to do the necropsy for free because she wanted to know what the heck happened. Said she cut open the mare and thousands of ascarids fell out of her stomach. She had tapeworms everywhere too. The horse had been dewormed regularly. She had a big long term for it that for the life of me I can't remember, something with granuloma in it I believe. But basically she said the lining of the stomach (or intestines, I can't dang remember) was so thick that dewormer molecules were not being absorbed. Whatever the heck the condition was she said it's a type of immunodeficiency that leads to the thick lining. It was the craziest thing I'd ever heard. She also said she had a winner of a fecal a few weeks prior on an 18 month old that had never been dewormed and said it was 1800 eggs per gram. Said in 30 years, she'd never seen one higher.

I really think something is majorly wrong with the results you've got. I don't know, I'd be freaking out 2 weeks after Quest and that showing up. I'd get another one pulled honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by suniday View Post
    Thanks JB. I knew it was a wild report - that's why if it wasn't mine, I'd have the same response you did!

This horse is HARD to worm on a good day. He's about 15.2ish and is thought to be IR/Cushings/EPM, etc. He most likely does have a funky immune system. I have him on Evitex and it helps a ton. Just added MSM about a month ago. He has a tendency to spit a little bit of wormer out even after holding his head up until you feel like your arms are going to collapse. I gave him a full tube (always have on purpose!). I did not write down the information about the Quest. Vet pulled the fecal ball out of this horse herself. I need to check which variety she wanted to DD, but it was NOT Quest (sorry about that!).

So, my list of questions:

Would you go ahead and have the other horses (only two) tested to check their loads?

Put all of the horses on the Daily Wormer or just this one?

Do a Power Pack on this and/or all of the horses?

When do I do the double dose?

How well do picky eaters accept the Daily Wormer? One of the others stopped eating when I tried to add the MSM to his feed!

Thanks for the time!
    I would definitely do fecals on the others........it will help you get a better picture of what is going on..........cushings horses do have comprised immune systems so it could be one reason for the high count.

Dalemma

Is there any chance the samples might have got mixed up in the lab? Did your vet do it in house? Or was it shipped off?

I always worry about my samples getting mixed with someone else's. Or even the results being swapped. I always have my name and my horse's name written on the baggy several times, and I still worry about it!

How much does the horse weigh?

As far as the ascarids, isn't it 'fairly' common (no clue on any numbers) for older horses to be more susceptible? Not as badly as young ones, but still. I know I've read that before, don't believe I made it up (though it's possible).

Horses develop what is, afaik, a pretty much life-long immunity to ascarids by 24 months, assuming decent-good deworming as a foal, and nothing really wiggy about their genetic immune system.

Good thought on the samples getting mixed up - I think I too would want another one done asap. If that one comes back so high, then definitely get the others checked.

Ascarids can become dormant in the mature animals body during migration phase. With age (24 years old certainly qualifys) or stress the larval worms and progess through their life cycle and become an issue
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    Ascarids can become dormant in the mature animals body during migration phase. With age (24 years old certainly qualifys) or stress the larval worms and progess through their life cycle and become an issue
    That could be what I read about. It's been a long time, and I can't recall anything specific about it. Just remember the general idea that 'adult' horses will rarely have ascarids unless they're getting into 'geriatric' years. Not that I'd consider the age of this horse 'old', but all horses age differently.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this topic/issue.

I am going to get all my boys tested now because this one is so off the charts wonky. The horse that the test was performed on although elderly is in great weight, coat looks good and spirit is great.

The vet ran the sample herself. I don't know if it got mixed up as she did it after she left my farm.

DH and I were wondering about something else though. His dogs enjoy the manure pile quite a bit and they get tested for worms 2x per year. They always come up clean. Are there worms that cross species and would they show up on the dogs fecals?

So I have the same question as Mimi La Rue's. What do you store the fecal sample in and how do you store it? Since her's is in the fridge - that is the "how" but how long can it be in there?

Thanks again! COTH is awesome.

A fresh sample that goes into an airtight container, straight into the fridge, can theoretically be good for a week. I just wouldn't trust it that long.

I wormed my guy with a generic wormer (pyrantel pamoate) in mid July and then had him tested near the end of Sept. The results came back as 0. I've never done a fecal before (yeh, I know, bad! but it was never suggested to me before). Does this sound reasonable? I'm kinda suspicious...I would have expected at least something to show up.

I'd want another FEC done.

you may just have a nicely low-shedder horse, one with high immunity to worms.

But pyrantel pamoate has such a high resistance issue that it didn't kill much of anything. I don't know where you are, but if your Summer was hot and dry (and 75 is not considered hot ) then it's reasonable that there was not a lot of living larva to be ingested, so he could be pretty clean.

But since you've never done a FEC before, and given the above regarding pyrantel, I think it would be a good idea to do another one before you do any deworming.