The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default Equitation Critique Please!!

    Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXW-5RkS3U
    FYI Video does have music!!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,077

    Default

    Well first of course I must say cute horse.... and you look like a really capable rider... good pair..

    It's hard to critique but I will try, not too many bad things going on There were some really nice moments and some that I could get picky about.

    One is watch your lower back.. it tends to get rounded "out". Your hands and arms could be softer at times. And a few times you pushed to the fence instead of keeping the rhythm and allowing the jump to come to you.

    Try doing things a bit softer. I would like to see you work more on your base of balance (lower leg) so you can be more independent with your hands.. and your hands could then follow the horses mouth a bit.

    In the beginning of your video at the trot your heels weren't down and hands were moving around. You were posting too high and fast; but as soon as you started cantering, all was much better.

    But you are a nice rider and should do well in the Equitation.. however saying that, looks like your horse could do well in the Hunter ring too....
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Really nice ride... here are my thoughts in no particular order.

    Shoulders need to be back and down. You get a little round in your shoulders, which also affects your lower back.

    More importantly, your shoulders affect your hands. As your shoulders come forward, they bring your elbows out away from your sides, which turns your thumbs towards each other and creates slight puppy paws. Overall, its impossible to be soft and following with your hands in this position. If you fix your shoulders, you should be able to fix all this.

    Your ankles are stiff. Put your stirrups up a hole. Then, work on turning your toes in and riding off the inside of your calf. Over a few of the fences, you want to turn your toes out, which creates tension - and thus stability in your lower leg. Unfortunately, its bad stability because it prevents your ankle from being a shock absorber.

    Last, pay attention to detail on the flat. I saw one corner where you turned before you got the change, and another spot where you ran into a canter transition.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2007
    Location
    Triangle Area, NC
    Posts
    6,724

    Default

    agree 100% with the above two posters.
    i just wanted to add that the over all picture you convey is that you are trying too hard. either trying too hard to post (not working WITH the horse's motion) or trying to hard to be still (stiff back, stiff hands, stiff leg)
    i'd say quit thinking about how you LOOK and ride the horse, not your image.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Thanks guys!! I definitely need to work on all of that. My eq is a weak point. Especially my upper body. The trainer I was riding with happened to be IN LOVE with my leg. She went on and on and on about it, and she was an accomplished big eq rider as a junior(qualified for all the big EQ finals), so I trust her opinion. Personally, I still agree that it needs work though.

    About the lead change, he wasn't listening when i asked for the change, so I had to ask him again. Also, I haven't really worked with him doing lead changes on straight lines. Definitely something that needs to happen though.

    And he could be a good lower level hunter, but when the jumps go up he's more of a jumper, in temperament and form.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,077

    Default

    You know what's been helping me ride "softer" lately; is I smile.... pretty easy huh.....


    Oh yeah, I wanted to mention the toes too.. lol.... keep up the good work... it's fun!
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,590

    Default

    If you relax and try to "go with the motion" a bit more on the flat, I think you could improve your position and also feel better in the saddle. Your hands are still when you are cantering, but I think they should oscillate with the horse's motion a bit. don't worry too much about it though, because I think that's an easy thing to fix. I'm working through the same sort of thing with my trainer now that I've started riding again after a hiatus.

    One thing I did like is the fact that your body doesn't move around a lot over the jumps. I'm not sure how long you have been riding, but over lower jumps I've seen a lot of people catch the horse in the mouth, or do way too long of a release with their upper body all over the place.

    The kinds of things I saw in the video all look like minor tweaks that should be easy to address now that other people have pointed them out. your horse seems like it has a very nice easy going personality, so once you get these little things down you guys would probably look good together in the show ring.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    You know what's been helping me ride "softer" lately; is I smile.... pretty easy huh.....


    Oh yeah, I wanted to mention the toes too.. lol.... keep up the good work... it's fun!
    Hmmm...thats simple! Lol. I need to learn how to be in a good position and relax because I tend to get sloppy when i relax. I need to find a nice balance. lol



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    Hmmm...thats simple! Lol. I need to learn how to be in a good position and relax because I tend to get sloppy when i relax. I need to find a nice balance. lol
    DING DING.. that's totally it! Can you tell I must be having the same issue??
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    DING DING.. that's totally it! Can you tell I must be having the same issue??
    Definitely! Lol. It's a toughie!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    If you relax and try to "go with the motion" a bit more on the flat, I think you could improve your position and also feel better in the saddle. Your hands are still when you are cantering, but I think they should oscillate with the horse's motion a bit. don't worry too much about it though, because I think that's an easy thing to fix. I'm working through the same sort of thing with my trainer now that I've started riding again after a hiatus.

    One thing I did like is the fact that your body doesn't move around a lot over the jumps. I'm not sure how long you have been riding, but over lower jumps I've seen a lot of people catch the horse in the mouth, or do way too long of a release with their upper body all over the place.

    The kinds of things I saw in the video all look like minor tweaks that should be easy to address now that other people have pointed them out. your horse seems like it has a very nice easy going personality, so once you get these little things down you guys would probably look good together in the show ring.
    Thanks! I've been riding 8 1/2 years. He was actually a bit of a challenge to keep calm and steady. Especially since he'd never been to this place before, and he's only been off the farm 3 times. He's an awesome boy though.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    Thanks! I've been riding 8 1/2 years. He was actually a bit of a challenge to keep calm and steady. Especially since he'd never been to this place before, and he's only been off the farm 3 times. He's an awesome boy though.
    Well, even better for you then if you kept him that calm and steady under the circumstances.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 28, 2010
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Generally, you have pretty nice equitation!
    The only this I can really pick on, is your shoulders and back. Try pulling your shoulders back just a little and it will straighten out your back and make a prettier picture!
    Also, your arms tend to go straight out. Then again, you could have shorter arms but I can't really tell in the picture. Try bending your elbows a little and it will improve your equitation a lot!
    You seem to have a pretty good leg, and your horse is super cute!
    Good job with him/her!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    Hmmm...thats simple! Lol. I need to learn how to be in a good position and relax because I tend to get sloppy when i relax. I need to find a nice balance. lol
    Can I just say that I'm the same way? I think "relax" and immediately go into jello mode. Which maybe in hindsight isn't what you do... haha! But I have the same trouble, staying relaxed and flowing with the motion, AND not being sloppy at the same time. I need a new word for relaxed...

    As far as your video, can't add anything that hasn't been said! Your horse is a cutie, he looks like a fun ride! I love my boy, but he isn't always forward, so I'm always jealous of a ride like yours! Good job, you two look like a good team!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 12, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    nice overall, I have to agree with a few other posters on the following points:

    1. Trot, posting too fast and too high.
    2. Locked arms, need to soften and follow more
    3. Definitely looks like work - which maybe it is - but to improve, you want to make it look smooth and quiet and effortless.
    4. Rounded and weak back in places. Need to work on your core so your back is more stable and flat.

    You've got a great base, now just needs some finesse good luck!



Similar Threads

  1. Equitation critique
    By Stellar_moves in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Dec. 28, 2010, 07:48 PM
  2. IHSA Equitation Critique Please?
    By To the MAX in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2010, 10:51 PM
  3. Equitation Critique
    By Czar in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 12, 2010, 11:00 AM
  4. Equitation Critique
    By Hunter-Eq rider in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Sep. 29, 2009, 11:55 PM
  5. Video equitation critique please!
    By TuckawayVT in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May. 12, 2009, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness