The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy VA horse Needs Help ASAP

I know nothing about this horse or person, except what I pasted below from Virginia Equestrian. Breaks my heart! Can someone help?

Help me. Free to loving home.
    Date Added: 10/6/2010
    Posted By: Paula Burns

STAFFORD, VA 22556
    Email Address: dbc19962@comcast.net

My name is Leah. 3 weeks ago life was good for me....I was looking for a new Owner. I am a Holsteiner Thoroughbred. My current Owner lost our home and job and had to move away. She has been trying to sell me to a good family but, I got seriously hurt. I don't know how bad my leg is but I really want to live. The Vet said I needed to be in a stall for a while and have shots of antibiotics daily. I am in pain but, I will get better if I have someone to love me. I may never be able to jump or canter but I promise to love you. Owner's cell number 919-709-8044 SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. This is no joke, she has quality of life left. She is in Madison Co.

Default Bump

Ahhhhh ! this really touches my heart... I had to hold back tears, seriously..
    what do the injuries consist of and what dose the Vet say about recovery .
    tell us more ......
    how old is this horse ,
    what gender ?
    more info please

Good Luck
    One Man Dreams to Have What Another Man Throws Away
    Web Site http://home.comcast.net/~trickysplace/farm/farm.htm
    E-mail lazy_e_stables@comcast.net

Default Thanks, but I don't have the answers

to your good questions. I was hoping a COTHer in/around that area might know something more or be able to lend a hand. This hit me the same way. I know the rescues are all jammed, but maybe one has room for one more. I could contribute something financially if a suitable home can be arranged.

A friend emailed & shared the info.

This is a 3 y.o. Holsteiner/TB filly, green broke & apparently had a pasture injury. The barn owner is moving, the horse owner has fallen on hard times & a third person is acting as go-between & trying to keep this mare fed & cared for.

There are pictures & a short video of the mare from earlier in the year when she was being started under saddle & also pictures of the wound, which will need a fair amount of care for the next month or so - a procedure to clean the joint, daily meds & bandaging, I would guess.

The problem is the mare needs an owner now who can commit to the vet to pay for the medical procedures, to give her a chance of coming sound, plus commit to the daily care that will be required, near term. (I've seen 2 mares with similar injuries, both of whom were riding-sound after, but there are never any guarantees.)

I don't know anything else - her breeding, whether she has papers, etc., but wanted to at least get her age/sex into the thread, in case it helps with placement.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I went to see this filly this past Feb. She was at the time very quiet and seemed to be a nice mover, but barely started under tack and in not great condition (not in danger, but unkempt). I sent some people back this spring and she had been very badly trained in the meantime, to the point where she would be a serious project. She is however very well-bred for the hunter ring, by the Holsteiner stallion Magical (sire of my horse Touch of Magic), and out of the TB mare Chest of Jewels, by Julimar. She was obviously bred by someone with a clue, because she has an IHF nomination under the name Magic Jewel. Breeder is listed as Christina M. Pharr of NY. It's such a shame that a horse that came into the world like that ended up in the backyard situation that I saw her in, and then to end up like this.
    This latest ad was absolutely heartbreaking, but I don't know anyone willing or able to take on the responsibility for a horse of questionable use. I hope the added information might be of use to anyone who thinks they can help.

Has the owner tried to contact the breeder by any chance? Does anyone know the breeder - could they point her to this thread?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I tracked down the breeder. She was nice enough to contact me back. She was not aware of the situation and was concerned, but is not in a position to take the horse back. She asked to be updated if a solution was found.

Someone should let the stallion owner know. Maybe they could help find someone.

Stallion owner unfortunately passed away this year.

I contacted Hope's Equine rescue in VA who contaced this owner. SHe is willing to take the mare. Owner seems to have someone who will pay the bills and is working on that right now, but HER is willing to stay on the case and step in and take her if that falls through.

You can find Hope's Equine Rescue on FB.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

That's a great update . Good job.

Default thank you Hope Equine Rescue

And Iron Horse Farm. I am not a Facebooker, at least yet, (too old) so please convey my gratitude for stepping in here. There is a great group of folks on the board.

So, this mare is safe? If there is question, I can call the owner. If she needs to be re-homed, I will happily take her. Might need help w/ transport to N.Fl. if she needs to be moved asap. I am a vet tech and have quite a bit of experience w/ some pretty horrific wounds, as well as rehabs. I'm just not sure how quickly I could personally make the haul to Va to get her myself.

Default My understanding is that she has a home

Hi, I guess I should stop lurking so much here and actually post. I'm Maya Proulx, Executive Director of Hope's Legacy Equine Rescue in Afton, Virginia.

I contacted the woman who is currently taking care of the mare and she responded that they have someone very interested in giving her a new home.

p.s. we actually have a website now, www.hopeslegacy.com It is pretty rough at this point but getting better as I figure out how to build it.