The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brand Experts?

I just received the following message from someone in Australia. I would like to try to help her get some answers, but I am truly not familiar with the described brands. Can anyone out there decipher them for us?

----------

I am trying to identify the brand of one of our warmblood mares and was hoping that you could give me a hint where to find more information.
    She is branded on the near side shoulder with

ARC 1
    HC 7

And on the off side shoulder with

I was told she was a French Warmblood (imported to Australia) by French Kiss , her name is Miss Kiss
    I have been searching the internet but could not find any further information. Obviously all European brands are on the hind and not the shoulder and I could not find the letters ARC as a brand at all. Can you help me with some more information or tell me where to look for it? Your help is very much appreciated and I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

I don't know whether this is helpful or not but, the mare is not registered Selle Francais (French Warmblood) under the name of Miss Kiss. There is not a mare by French Kiss registered in the Selle Francais (French) database. Those brands do not appear to be French.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

New Zealand TBs I think brand on the shoulder, but I don't know what sort of letters/numbers.
    Oh, here, sounds right:
    http://www.nzthoroughbred.co.nz/Serv.../Horse-ID.aspx

We have a 1980 Australian Hanoverian mare. She is branded on her left shoulder with the breeder's initials on top - RG and then the 'ranch' brand beneath TT with the tops of the t's connected. On her left hip/flank she has the standard H brand. On her right shoulder she has a 14 on top of a 0. The 14 defines her as the 14th foal and the 0 is for her birth year - 1980.

Standard Aussie branding as far as I know as I worked with a number of Aussie polo ponies and they were branded with breeder/ranch on the left and then foal #/year on the right.

Argentine polo ponies typically had a similar system on either side of their tails with Foal # & year...sometimes a 'ranch' brand also.

Annie's passport was a nightmare for some poor vet to draw in all her whorls, brands and other markings. But there was never any confusion as to which horse she was!

Hope that helps somewhat.

It does sound as if these are Aussie brands. Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I will forward on to the girl in Australia.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos