The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm officially an Oregonian now...

...as of about an hour ago!

Unloading my horses at their new (lovely!) barn, I realized I have NO connection to the eventing community out here, and that's just wierd to me... I've moved from Area 1, and I know it's not as busy out here as there, but someone reassure me that there are great people and events and schooling opportunities (competitions and xc courses) out here, too!

The barn I'm at is a backyard-type place; great people but not anyone who knows anything about eventing. That never bothered me before (I've only ever been in one barn that was eventing focused, and that was just by chance and because the BM and I were good recruiters; in fact, I think we are owed some sort of prize for "Most Converts From Other Disciplines"), but I always had eventing connections (still do, but they are now 3300 miles away...).

So, any Pacific Northwesterners out there?
    Proud member of the EDRF

Welcome to the PNW! There is a great eventing community, but sadly we have to travel more to get together... but if your near I-5 you have a 400 mile head start to southern cali over me

Check out area 7 in the omnibus (if you haven't already did that before moving ) and area 6 if your looking for more FEI stuff plus in my opinion the best xc footing in the country.

Welcome!

You will find many eventers along the I5 corridor. If you are near Portland head on over to Gallops Saddlery. They are eventers.

Welcome to Oregon! Unfortunately Inavale is the only recognized event in Oregon, but they do a great job and there's several up in Washington (Aspen, NWEC, Caber, etc) and down in California like Woodside.

Inavale is great for schooling and tends to have lots of derbies, CTs, and stuff during the spring. There's a farm out in Marcola called Make Your Mark that's slowly but steadily building up their XC course and they often have event derbies, clinics, and schooling sessions.

I know the Washington scene is pretty active, so if you're up in northern Oregon you're in luck.

If you happen to be anywhere near Eugene, let me know! I'd be happy to show you some good local trails and let you know what the trainer scene is locally, but I probably won't be too much use elsewhere

Default NH to PNW

Welcome! I moved here from NH about 2.5 years ago (sadly, without a horse) but I love it here! If your near PDX, do check out Gallops Saddlery, as Tuppysmom said, they are super friendly and very helpful.

Where in NH did you move from and where in OR did you move to? Don't let the rain get you down when it does come...at least it's not inches and inches (or feet and feet) of snow and freezing temps like back east!

Welcome!

Yes, please do let us know where you're at in OR, if you're comfortable with it. I'm just outside Salem, and we show fairly regularly - there are some really great people around here, and as usual a lot of the good ones you'll find through word of mouth. Lots of dressage and h/j shows to keep you busy in the off season, as well as clinics and such. The only downside to this place is that due to the weather, most XC courses are just about to close (stupid rain!) and won't reopen for schooling until sometime in Spring - depending on the rain, usually May at the earliest.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Welcome to the PNW...! I'm a few hours north of you in Vancouver, Canada, but made the big move west a few years ago!

Best advice I was given when I moved here: Buy a REALLY good rain coat and dress in lots of layers...fleece and merino wool are your friends...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Welcome! I'm not an eventer, but my SIL who posts rarely on here as "Lurker" is! The I5 Corridor is full of great event spots, all within 3 hours or so of PDX, and lots of lovely eventers. There is a strong group of adult ladies (and a few gentlemen) who ride together. The after-show-daily-parties are a riot. I hope you like wine

Get yourself a copy of "Flyingchanges" magazine at Gallops and get involved with the Adult Riders group.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We're just outside of Portland, in Hillsboro - so definitely close (enough) to I-5. I meant to say that last night, but, well, I'd been on the road for 57 hours straight at that point, so my brain was a little broken! We came from northern NH, so I'm used to having to drive a couple of hours - but there, a couple of hours got you to a TON of stuff. My mare, who hasn't yet done a full event (I worked 24 hours a day six days a week May or June - August every year, so never had time to get her properly conditioned and out during the NE season), has never even had to stable at a show. (My retiree has plenty of times, so hopefully he's been telling her about it... )

I'm not worried so much about the fall, because I need to get settled and gainfully employed (yes, I was crazy enough to move out here without a job - long story!), but I'd love to just start getting in with the eventing people and be able to have some goals for the spring/summer. I want to get my girl out really eventing, and for that we'll need xc schooling and preferably some logs-on-the-ground type unrecs a and preferably an instructor (I can get her to Novice on my own, but of course we'll get there BETTER with good lessons).

Where is Gallops? It sounds familiar, but I can't place it. My family lives out here, so I'm familiar with the geography, but they only moved here about twelve years ago, when I was in college, so I've never actually lived here for more than a couple of months before, and never had the horses out here.

Thanks, guys - you are making me feel less "what have I DONE?" already! ;-)
    Proud member of the EDRF

I actually lived in Hillsboro until last August. We could have been neighbors!. Now I live in Ohio though, so not too close anymore. As the others have said, there is eventing around but you have to travel! All the Area VII events are very nice so you'll have fun.

I sent you a PM. I too moved here with no job and lived in Hillsboro the first year.

PS: hi NRG, how's Moxie?

Gallops is right across I5 from Bridgeport Village.

If you haven't yet found an instructor, off the top of my head I'd check out Julie Hook in Aurora or Cricket Dixon in Lake Oswego. Both are maybe 45 minutes southeast of you (depending on where you're at in Hillsboro!), and are great ladies. Cricket does post on here once in a while, maybe she'll pop her head in and say hi.

Aw heck, kementari, I'd really hoped we could meet, and I had no idea you were moving!

Have fun in Oregon; it's beautiful but wet. I was at Reed College in Portland in the 1980s; it was during my no-riding days but I had a feeling there was a lot going on, horse-wise.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Lynn Simard in Sherwood has a facility with a great water complex and tons of eventing toys. You can find her contact info at www.devonwoodec.com

Lee Jorgenson is at Shadysprings, although she doesn't do much eventing anymore.

and Kevin Freeman has a place tucked into the garden home neighborhood.

John Camlin, Caber Farms has a bunch of good events/ horse trials.

Thanks, guys!

It looks like there are plenty of rec events within a couple of hours of us, which is great. Do the Northwestern states still do that thing where you can get an interstate health cert that's good for six months (instead of 30 days) for these states?

Also, is there a good place to look for unrec events? It didn't look like they really listed them on the Area VII website.

For trainers, I'll be looking for someone relatively close (just because if I have to spend $50 in gas every time that makes for a lot fewer lessons!) who doesn't flinch at non-traditional breeds (my mare is an Arab, and though eventers in general don't care, I have definitely gotten more than one, "When are you going to sell her and buy a REAL event horse?" comment - I try to stay away from those folks!) and who will - safely! - push me. I'm the opposite of those folks out running round xc three levels higher than they belong, and need someone who gets me out of my comfort zone. And, as I hope goes without saying, I want a trainer who emphasizes a strong, classic foundation without tricks or shortcuts: I'm a fan of good, honest hard work.

Of course, first I need a job...

And quietann, if you ever take a vacation to the PNW, look me up!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Hi -- popping in from the dressage forum -- welcome to Oregon! I just moved here (Eugene area) a couple of years ago and am originally from the east coast (VA). Folks out here are very friendly and I think it's a fantastic place to have horses.

I just bought my first horse, also an Arab, and although I am primarily into dressage I have some interest in LOW level cross-country (mostly the galloping across the fields part, not so much the jumping over objects that don't break when you hit them part) so maybe we'll run into each other someday. Just look for the flagging tail out on the course.

I would probably be an eventer (I like variety) except that I rode h/j long enough to know that I really hate jumping in arenas.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Lake Oswego Hunt Club (where Cricket is located) runs a couple Derby-type events, Sherwood Forest runs a couple unrec. HT's, and I think there are also a few during the summer at Lincoln Creek, Donida, and sometimes Inavale. Make Your Mark down in Eugene (previously mentioned by catmchorse, I think) has also put on a couple different CT/Derby days. Most are listed in Flying Changes, under the events.

I would strongly recommend Julie Hook for you, or Cricket - maybe schedule a lesson with a couple different instructors to see who works best for you. They both produce good, solid riders and work with the horse and rider in front of them that day.

ETA: Kementari, what field are you looking for a job in?

You'll want to board somewhere that has an indoor arena. It rains over there.

I'm in Central Oregon. I live on a cattle ranch and ride in the forest, where there are endless logs to jump, and generally good footing to all of them, from stepover size to four-star size. I evented in Oregon in the mid to late 80's, just to training level. My trainer is now retired, but if you can ever get to Central Oregon I'd have to recommend Audrey Goldsmith (Sequel Farm) in Sisters, who probably won't bat an eye at an Arab. She does eventing, mountain trail, hunter/jumper, dressage, mules...and she's very good, very classically trained/no shortcuts, etc. It IS a ways but if you get tired of the rain, come on over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Thanks, guys!

It looks like there are plenty of rec events within a couple of hours of us, which is great. Do the Northwestern states still do that thing where you can get an interstate health cert that's good for six months (instead of 30 days) for these states?

Also, is there a good place to look for unrec events? It didn't look like they really listed them on the Area VII website.

For trainers, I'll be looking for someone relatively close (just because if I have to spend $50 in gas every time that makes for a lot fewer lessons!) who doesn't flinch at non-traditional breeds (my mare is an Arab, and though eventers in general don't care, I have definitely gotten more than one, "When are you going to sell her and buy a REAL event horse?" comment - I try to stay away from those folks!) and who will - safely! - push me. I'm the opposite of those folks out running round xc three levels higher than they belong, and need someone who gets me out of my comfort zone. And, as I hope goes without saying, I want a trainer who emphasizes a strong, classic foundation without tricks or shortcuts: I'm a fan of good, honest hard work.

Of course, first I need a job...

And quietann, if you ever take a vacation to the PNW, look me up!
    Oregon and Washington state don't require any paperwork to travel between the two states. No Coggins, no health cert.

We only pull Coggins and get health certificates to go to BC and California. We don't travel east of WA or OR so I am unsure of the requirements to do so.

I've got the indoor (well, covered) arena thing taken care of! It's not huge, but I always figure that just means we'll be even BETTER in stadium once we have room to make nice big turns, having practiced with tight ones. Plus, well, the barn I was at in NH didn't even HAVE an arena, so this is a definite step up.

I'll definitely check out Julie and Cricket. I always like to do watch a few lessons and then take a couple before I make up my mind. I've been lucky to have had some great instructors so far, and actually kind of enjoy the instructor-shopping process, as I always learn new things (not that I randomly change instructors for fun; just that I've moved around a lot and so had to change!).

No Cogginses or health certs? My vet bills like that idea! I lived on the WA/ID border for a little while (and NH/MA/ME), so got used to the whole paperwork thing, let's just say.

Melanie, I sense it is only a short time before you are converted to the Dark Side. As I mentioned above, I have quite a lot of experience in this area (I converted one just last year, and he's already shopping for his next event horse!). And I don't know about out here, but certainly out east many events don't hold their stadium phase in an arena...

Oh, and my field is experiential education (most recently summer camping, though I like pretty much every facet of the field, really). I'd also be quite happy working with horses as a BM and/or baby starter/trainer (I love working with babies and greenies). Really I'm happy doing anything where I feel like I'm actually making a difference to someone (or somehorse )!
    Proud member of the EDRF