The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

oh boy.... Just by reading through all these posts I have now found all my Saddle Club and Thoroughbred books and I think I MIGHT have to start reading them again! I actually just reread the first TB book and realized how much I loved it!! I dont have too many of them though!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

***God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses***

~~member of the Chicken Jumper Clique (AND PROUD OF IT!!) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif, IHSA clique & only child clique~~
    ***God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses***
    ~~member of the Chicken Jumper Clique (AND PROUD OF IT!!) , IHSA clique~~

Where it\'s too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter

Belle was originally called "Heinz" because she was a "Heinz 57" horse that Phil's parents/Phil had or were watching or something like that.

When Stevie got her she called her "No Name" for the longest time because she couldn't think of that perfect name for her.

How sad is this...I don't even have any of the books anymore and I STILL remember that...Must start reading more adult fiction http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

**I laugh in the face of danger! -- Then I hide until it goes away.**
    Proud Member of the 'OPH' Clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/evntrgrrl
    bombs away is your punishment/pulverize the eiffel towers/who criticize your government

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz 57:
    I originally started with the Thoroughbred series...

picked up a few saddleclub books, and they seemed kind of strange to me. A few of them were good that I read, but I still liked the Thoroughbred series more, at least when Joanna Campbell was still the author. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

The one where Ashleigh is 12 or so, and her parents have their own farm(Edgardale?), where all the horses get the flu and her favorite colt dies in her lap...

is one of my favorite books. I stopped reading them though.

The Saddle Club show is INTERESTING. I too wonder about the accents.

* Iolar *
    *Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach.*
    ..Member of Teen, BOSS, Paint horse, Junior, and most importantly, Cremello Cliques!..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH WOW! I loffed the Thoroughbred series when i was like 10ish. I think I read every book up until when it started becoming all about Christina and Parker being all Eventer-y (Boo that, the series was about racing!!!). Then somehow, overnight, Christina (Ashleigh's daughter for those who don't know the series post-Ashleigh & Brad) becomes this amazingly wonderful jockey, ready to compete in the Triple Crown http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif.

i miss being naive http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

~* Proud Member of the Blonde Riders / Mighty Thoroughbred / BabyGreen Support Group Cliques *~
    ~* Proud Member of the Blonde Riders / Mighty Thoroughbred / BabyGreen Support Group Cliques *~

I to0 was a huge fan I have 1-89 and the Super Editions. I loved them no matter how silly or tisted the plot lines. The show is waaaay too silly for my liking. What happened to Virginia?

~Christina~
    "I find that smuggling is the life for me, and would be delighted to kill your friend the maggot!" -Count Of Monte Cristo

Reading the Saddle club and TB books at age 10-11 is what got me into wanting to ride english and jump! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

10 years later and Im still doing it!

Proud Member Of The Hot TB Mare, The Florida, & the Disgruntled College Student Clique
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

No no, Belle was called Punk (for Punctuation) by the girl that she was stolen from. Not sure where Heinz came from...I don't remember that being in the book. Maybe it was another horse?

(How sad, we are arguing over the former name of a horse in a children's book series...)

=Future Johns Hopkins University Student=
    =Member of the Only Child Clique=
    =Member of the Teen Clique=

*You mean there was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?*

You guys are cracking me up! I only read a few of the Saddle Club books and the first ones of the Thoroughbred series... but for those of you who read T-Bred have you read "The Evening Star," I think it's called, about the eventing girl who loses her confidence? That and the "Forgotten Filly" are still on my bookshelf at my dad's house. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

We were southbound 35, we were headed down the road,
    hit the border by the morning, let Texas fill my soul

The Forgotten Filly... now that was the book! How many of you fantasized about your own grey mare named Dance Away after that? he he.

That led to the Thoroughbred series, which were my favorites, I read them over and over... all I wanted in life was a TB, preferably named Pride!

I liked the Saddle Club too. An important part of my childhood is wrapped up in those books, and in Breyer horses!

Luckily my first instructor was an eventer in CA. At the age of 8 I was on TBs, real "wild" ones of course. I used to pretend I was riding racehorses(they were actually OTTB). When I got older and better at riding, she started putting me on the "real" TB, the ones she actually evented, who liked to gallop, and jump, and yee-haw on cold days or whatever. I wasn't pretending anything about racehorses then! I certainly wasn't pretending to get bucked off of run away with.

To be a kid again.... the sad thing is I'm reminiscing, and I'm only 19!!!!

*yeah I'm sure they're grey. just scrape the mud off!*
    *yeah I\'m sure they\'re grey. just scrape the mud off!*

Heinz was Belles name when she was with Phil, before Stevie got her.

Same thing about how I got into jumping... I read the books, and wanted ot have that much fun, too!

I understand that the TB series was originally about racing, but what's wrong with eventing? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif Actually, I agree with you about that. It was much better when it was just about racing, then maybe they could have started a new series about the eventing... Oh yeah! That would be nice! I sopped getting them when they started getting into the showring stuff. Loved the racing much more.

Standardbred lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing
    Proud member of the Riders of Rohan!
    Strider's web site! http://home.woh.rr.com/thepetroskys/StriderWebPage.htm
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

When did Phil have Belle?? I remember Stevie getting her from her parents who got her from Phil's pony club DC, who bought her from a dealer?

=Future Johns Hopkins University Student=
    =Member of the Only Child Clique=
    =Member of the Teen Clique=

*You mean there was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?*

Despite the fact that Carol, Stevie and Lisa always seemed to lack quite a lot of horse knowledge and common sense, they were ALWAYS running into people who were worse than they were. Remember the girl from France who lied about her pony (something about him throwing up in the past), or the friend Carol goes to visit in Vermont (I think they end up getting lost in the woods), and of course, Veronica.

Did the girls ever get older? I don't think I read past #50 or so, and it seems like they were still 12-13. Or are they like the Simpson kids are perpetually stuck at one age?

~*Kate*~
    Tufts Equestrian Team "We'll Ride Anything"
    ~*Kate*~
    Tufts Equestrian Team \"We\'ll Ride Anything\"

I don't remember who owned Belle when she was at Phil's, but that is where Stevie first meets her... Got to find that book tonight, and will have more detail then... Anyway, it's only in the beginning of the book.

Standardbred lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing
    Proud member of the Riders of Rohan!
    Strider's web site! http://home.woh.rr.com/thepetroskys/StriderWebPage.htm
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

"Dance Away" from The Forgotten Filly was black, not gray. There was a gray horse in the book, though...the best jumper on the farm, whose name I have forgotten. I wanted him http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Evening Star was my favorite of those books. There was also "The Palomino" "If Wishes Were Horses" and "The Most Beautiful Horse In The World". And, yes, I still pull them out and read them occaisionally.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." ~Mal, Firefly

Ok, Phil had Belle before Stevie got her. She was either with Phil's Dad or Trainer or soemthing along those lines. Someone said they got her from a rescue, which i think is right.

-Emily-
    "Not all who wander are lost"-J.R.R Tolkein
    http://community.webshots.com/user/uvgot2whisper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HFbellefille:
    Did the girls ever get older? I don't think I read past #50 or so, and it seems like they were still 12-13. Or are they like the Simpson kids are perpetually stuck at one age?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think they ever age. I know Carol had one birthday, and about 3 christmasses, but I think she's still 13. It's been a while since I've read the books. I think they're still around somewhere.

I too was more a Throughbred kind of kid, and a huge Ashleigh fan...samantha was ok, but by the time they got to christina, i was either too old or it was less interesting.

I've always noticed the inaccuracies in all the horse series', esp. when it came to lineage in the T'bred books, and the lack of logic in the Saddle club stuff.

Does anyone remember a book called The most wonderful horse in the world? Or something along those lines? It was about a girl (Cara?) and the horse she got the ride on when a wealthy girl went away to college. The horse was a palomino named Lucas. I loved that book, it made me cry repeatedly!
    Also, there was a series that I ever only read 3 of, because I couldn't find anymore, it was about 4 girls that meet at camp, including one who was recovering from a horse-car collision. anyone remember that one?

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
    Groucho Marx.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does anyone remember a book called The most wonderful horse in the world? Or something along those lines? It was about a girl (Cara?) and the horse she got the ride on when a wealthy girl went away to college. The horse was a palomino named Lucas. I loved that book, it made me cry repeatedly!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have that book and have read it a couple of times. I agree, it's a great book and is much better than the usual ones you find out there.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for what might have been.

I am always traveling now! I love it! But home is CT

Belle-

She is at Phil's barn and has a bad allegry, which Stevie becomes VERY interested in trying to figure out. She does figure it out, and her parent's are so impresed by her research that they buy her the mare.

Starlight-

Lisa's parents want to buy her a horse early in the series. One of the horse she looks at is Starlight(owned by the same guy who owns Prancer, who is then named Pretty Boy Floyd. She sees his talent but knows he is too green for her. She decides she is not ready for a horse of her own at all and makes her parents change their mind. But when Carol's dad decided he wants to buy her a horse and tells Stevie and Lisa about it, Lisa remembers Pretty Boy Floyd and tells Carol's dad.
    Carol is working for a vet at the time and ends up at that farm on Christmas Eve. It seems she will miss the Starlight Ride, but then at the last minute must ride over to Pine Hollow to check into a problem with Veroncia's horse(which isn't a problem at all but a prank of Stevie's and Lisa's). She rides over on Pretty Boy Floyd and ends up taking him on the Starlight Ride, and then finds out he is hers. And that is why he is named Starlight, after the Starlight Ride http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

And how is THAT for a memory?? It must be 5 years since I've read those books! LOL

I got a webshots album! Yay! Go see : http://community.webshots.com/user/piggiejump
    I got a webshots album! Yay! Go see : http://community.webshots.com/user/piggiejump

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OhioColleen:

Has anyone read the series (only 4 or 5 books I think) about a TB filly that a girl rescues, who ends up being the very stolen, highest sold TB ever at the Keeneland sale? I can't remember the name, darnit, but they are SOOO good.

To you, she's a horse. To me, she's a family member who is big, hairy, walks on all fours and is easily startled.
    ~Colleen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES! I read that series! The first one was called "The Sweet Running Filly." I believe the next one was "A Horse Called Bonnie," then "Sunbonnet, Horse of the Year," then the Haunted Farm? and I think there was one more at least. I loved that series, with the old grooms (Leon, Stash) and such. I thought the mare, Bonnie, having twins then going back to racing was a bit much, but the rest of it was ok.

I read Saddle Club up to about 60, then lost interest. I did note a lot of discrepancies, but they were decent entertainment I suppose.

I loved the Thoroughbred series until Joanna Campbell quit writing them (I believe it was 13?). Then things got all out of whack with that Christina character. No thanks. But the early ones were really good, I thought (at least as a 10-12 year old). Did anyone else read her other book, "Battlecry," that fit in with the whole Fleet Goddess thing? It was pretty good too.

I also read "The Most Beautiful Horse In the World," enjoyed it. Also, "Beauty" by Bill Wallace--the ending of that one made me bawl. I bought it when I was 6 at the school "Book Fair" (b/c it had a horse on the cover!) and I read it so many times the pages were dogeared and the cover fell off. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

Of course I read every Black Stallion book I could find, too. I loved Walter Farley's "Man O'War."

And whose library would be complete without Marguerite Henry? My copy of Misty was also read to death. And I loved the other stories, Born to Trot, Brighty, King of the Wind (LOVED that one!), Misty's Twilight, Justin Morgan, Black Gold.

Wow, I did a lot of reading as a kid!

~AJ~
    If you're big-star bound let me warn ya it's a long hard ride.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

wow. I am 27 and i read those books when i was 12, if I remember correctly.
    There are now over 87 books?

Speaking of horse-related novel series for teenage girls, does anyone around my age remember the "Blue Ribbon" series? I read that one after I grew out of the S.C. The six-book (I think?) series revolved around 3 16-year old girls who were novice eventers. I think the horse-related details and plots were far more accurate than the Saddle Club, good stories marred only by a trite romantic subplot. I think they are probably out of print now.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"