The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I am an adult someties-addict of The Saddle Club books (books, not the shows), especially everytime we get snowed in afor a week or two (like last week).

This is so far what I have figured out, can anyone tell my why this should make sense, of if they know WHY it makes sense? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

After reading #51 Horse Trouble (?maybe), Super Edition #? Dream Horse, and most of #86 Secret Horse, where the girls are 'training' Samson, I gathered the following:

Stevie, Lisa and Carole are 12 years old. Carole's mom died when she was 8, after moving to Willow Grove. Carole bought her horse Starlight ..when.. half a year after that-?
    But had been riding Cobalt, a fiery TB Showjumper Stallion, before she bought Starlight.
    Cobalt was also ridden (or owned?) by snooty Veronica DeAngelo, also aged 8 at the time. Who at some point also owned a 'gorgeous purebred Arabian' (huh? showjumper?) but now owns another fine fine Showjumper, a TB named Danny.

So.. at age 12, these three girls are training one of Pine Hollow's horses to saddle and bridle (failing miserably, but not stopped by the stable owner) and seem mostly responsible for all the tacking, mucking, sweeping, tack care, exercise riding, etc at this barn.
    Which is probably the same reason every one of them rides dressed in jeans and cowboy boots and T-shirts.
    But doesn't explain why Lisa has her own saddle.

By age 14 (I'm guessing if you can go by the timeline), they are not competing other than the occasional -very local- Pony Club rally, involving their own or possible one other Pony Club. Yet they are also schooling the same Pine Hollow horse over fences (unsupervised, and without the knowledge of the BO and trainer), with one of his first jumps being with novice rider Lisa, well over 4'.

So in book #87 Show Jumper, they head off to the "Macrae", the most prestigious A show this side of America, with novice Lisa in a Red coat and rubber boots riding the rather home schooled Samson (who has after all been working out with the girls for a whole month) and meet no end of snotty mean girls who are all out for blood. And where Lisa admits to regularly jumping ("This High", indicating with her hand how far off the ground).

Ah yes, Max also allows them free rein to ride (unsupervised of course) on of the most dangerous rearing horses he's ever seen, whom Lisa figures her parents want to buy her.. but falls in love with Samson, and no mention of buying him ever turns up.

Hmm.....

sittin on the dock of the bay...

I am an adult someties-addict of The Saddle Club books (books, not the shows), especially everytime we get snowed in afor a week or two (like last week).

This is so far what I have figured out, can anyone tell my why this should make sense, of if they know WHY it makes sense? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

After reading #51 Horse Trouble (?maybe), Super Edition #? Dream Horse, and most of #86 Secret Horse, where the girls are 'training' Samson, I gathered the following:

Stevie, Lisa and Carole are 12 years old. Carole's mom died when she was 8, after moving to Willow Grove. Carole bought her horse Starlight ..when.. half a year after that-?
    But had been riding Cobalt, a fiery TB Showjumper Stallion, before she bought Starlight.
    Cobalt was also ridden (or owned?) by snooty Veronica DeAngelo, also aged 8 at the time. Who at some point also owned a 'gorgeous purebred Arabian' (huh? showjumper?) but now owns another fine fine Showjumper, a TB named Danny.

So.. at age 12, these three girls are training one of Pine Hollow's horses to saddle and bridle (failing miserably, but not stopped by the stable owner) and seem mostly responsible for all the tacking, mucking, sweeping, tack care, exercise riding, etc at this barn.
    Which is probably the same reason every one of them rides dressed in jeans and cowboy boots and T-shirts.
    But doesn't explain why Lisa has her own saddle.

By age 14 (I'm guessing if you can go by the timeline), they are not competing other than the occasional -very local- Pony Club rally, involving their own or possible one other Pony Club. Yet they are also schooling the same Pine Hollow horse over fences (unsupervised, and without the knowledge of the BO and trainer), with one of his first jumps being with novice rider Lisa, well over 4'.

So in book #87 Show Jumper, they head off to the "Macrae", the most prestigious A show this side of America, with novice Lisa in a Red coat and rubber boots riding the rather home schooled Samson (who has after all been working out with the girls for a whole month) and meet no end of snotty mean girls who are all out for blood. And where Lisa admits to regularly jumping ("This High", indicating with her hand how far off the ground).

Ah yes, Max also allows them free rein to ride (unsupervised of course) on of the most dangerous rearing horses he's ever seen, whom Lisa figures her parents want to buy her.. but falls in love with Samson, and no mention of buying him ever turns up.

Hmm.....

HAHAHA http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

~Steph

*Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Haha! Onyx! I too read the Saddle club as i started it in junior high school and since the series is still going, i still occasionally pick up the next in the series and read on - I however, am way into the 100s of the original saddle club series and also read the spin off book for young adults called Pine Hollow which is when the girls are much older (17ish?). It's funny, because over the years of reading these books occasionally i would say to myself huh? (i do remember Lisa jumping the 4'0" fence on Samson) but i didn't analyze the other bad horsemanship out of it. I do believe you are correct when refering to the ages of these kids and the stuff they are doing but of course the series is read by kids who probably don't pick up on these series of 'accidents waiting to happen' which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it might make a pretty dull read if the girls don't get into some sort of mischief and kids wouldn't be interested if the saddle club wasn't age appropriate. Really, that's my only thought on why the book is presented the way it is (that and i'm pretty sure Bonnie Bryant isn't an advanced horsewoman).

I think that it was much longer than a half a year after her mother died that she received Starlight as a christmas present (and was named after the Starlight ride) - it's been a long time since i read that far back, so correct me if i'm wrong.

Veronica owned Cobalt who yes was a stallion (yes, an 8 year old had a stallion) and Carole used to ride him because Veronica didn't care about him. Cobalt sired Samson and soon after died (i forget how but it had to do with Veronica's neglect). Veronica's next horse was Garnet (?) who was an Arab - not sure about the showjumper part but do know he was expensive. I forget what happened to Garnet but eventually got Danny.

These kids are very involved in everything at the barn (the nice part about being a bike ride away from the barn i guess) - Lisa has her own saddle because her mom is very into the social order of thing and wants to fit in with the DeAngelo's of the world and therefore has nice expensive stuff. And Stevie just prefers to ride in jeans and cowboy boots - but never really takes up hunters or jumpers - she actually ends up being a Dressage queen believe it or not.

They do belong ot Pony club and collaberate with the PC at a town nearby (where Stevie meets her bf Phil). You did however forget to mention that Lisa (the most inexperienced rider of the group - but by this time has been riding probably about 2 years) gets to ride Prancer the OTTB mare (who is right of the track mind you - we even meet her at the track) and teach her pretty much everything - i don't think at like 12 or 14 or whatever, after only riding for two years i would have been able to do the full training on my OTTBs! Including teaching them to jump and everything!

anyway, that's enough of how geeky i am considering i'm 23 years old http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif But thanks for bringing light to the dangerous nature of the saddle club's antics!

- Carol's mom died when she was pretty young, I think...maybe 6? don't remember

- Cobalt died because Veronica didn't listen to Max and ran him down a hill to a x-c fence and he was going too fast and shattered his cannon bone. but hey, guess what Carol, it's not that bad, because Delilah (her favorite school mount at that point), surprise surprise, is going to have Cobalt's love-child!

Starlight came along in book #13 (or was it 12?)

i rented the movies the other day with a friend who was equally (or so i though) obsessed with the books when we were kids...it was a bit embarrassing when i remembered all the details and she didn't.

i haven't read #87 though...how is it Lisa showed in a red jacket and rubber boots when her mother bought her all that fancy show stuff for her first lesson ever?! maybe i'll just have to read it and find out...

signatures are lame.

Other observences:

Max "turns on his heel" aLOT.

Samson was "a hand or two" higher at the butt when the girls were training him, when he was sent to another trainer's barn (not Max himself, a noted and respected superhorseman) to finish him professionally. So..Three yrs old and a hand or TWO over..hmm..

I need to have a Saddle Club alter-ego and tell everyone here what I have been up to with my coming four yr old hone bred (by super fiery showjumping stallion Cobalt, out of Delilah, the plodding old pleasure horse).

Also.. I now remember the Saddle Club got to sell Garnet... remember when some seriously overweight beginner rider lady comes out-? So the girls decide this is inappropriate...yada yada...

I also remember one of the books talking about the girls performing a multitude of dressage tests at a show, one at each level (i.e., 1st through 4th). Lisa mentions something about Prancer's piaffe not being quite right. Uh huh... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

-KC (formerly known as PoloPony257)

"They can make me do it, but they can't make me do it with dignity." -Calvin and Hobbes

Member of the "Vertically Gifted" clique, "I don't wear a GPA and proud of it!" clique, Connecticut clique, Missed Out On Ponies (MOOP) clique, IHSA clique, Frugal Riders, and -=Flying Horsewomen=- clique!

Rainy's Page
    Photos!
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

hahahahahaha. Oh how I miss reading these books, they were the first "real" books I ever read. Funny though, I really thought too much into the things you guys have been talking about. Now that im thinking about it, how hilarious!!

-Emily-
    "Not all who wander are lost"-J.R.R Tolkein
    http://community.webshots.com/user/uvgot2whisper

I was a diehard fan of the book series when I was growing up... to this day I wonder how many barns beside Pine Hollow have wooden aisles! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

My SO's little sis is 7 and she and I always watch the show together. She is a D-1 in Pony Club, and together, we critique the hell out of the show! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

But geez, when I was little, I would whiz through each book and couldn't wait to get the next- I was oblivious to the inaccuracies!

Also, I believe in the book Stevie was trying out Belle, she and Phil did a pax-de-deux (I think I just butchered the spelling on that) Involving counter-canter, flying changes, and passage. Hmmmm lol.

When I read those books when I was 11 or so, I didn't pick up on the age. I did however notice one time Lisa mentions Max telling them to hold forearms parallel to the ground. I tried that at my next lesson and my instructor asked me where I'd picked that up! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif (That was a long time ago!)

I was also a "diehard" fan of them (i have them all up till when the pine hollow books were made =)). Is there anyone else that thinks that the tv show is terrible compared to the book?! since when did the get accents...? I only watched it once... the one where Garnet is horsenapped... I haven't been able to watch it again since it was just sooo awful!!! I can probablly answer most of your questions if you have more... I've read #1-90 at least 4 times each!!! and some of my favorites 7-8x!! Yeah... slightly obcessive but I couldn't stand waiting for new ones to come out!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

~*~Nattie~*~
    *Maryland Clique**Warmblood (Hanoverian) Clique*
    *Non-GPA Clique!**Ariat Clique!*

I originally started with the Thoroughbred series...

picked up a few saddleclub books, and they seemed kind of strange to me. A few of them were good that I read, but I still liked the Thoroughbred series more, at least when Joanna Campbell was still the author. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

The one where Ashleigh is 12 or so, and her parents have their own farm(Edgardale?), where all the horses get the flu and her favorite colt dies in her lap...

is one of my favorite books. I stopped reading them though.

The Saddle Club show is INTERESTING. I too wonder about the accents.

* Iolar *
    *Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach.*
    ..Member of Teen, BOSS, Paint horse, Junior, and most importantly, Cremello Cliques!..
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Yeah- I remember saddle club. Still have about 40- 50 books. Lets see what I can remember....

Carol saw Starlight when making rounds with the vet at a racehorse farm, but he wasn't racing- just a horse the owner said he would be selling for pleasure, I think. Carols dad buys Starlight, and Carol finds out after having an emergency ride through the snow back to Pine Hollow. (BK 13)
    Carol rode Cobalt for Veronica because V didn't take care of him. He was put down (BK 2) when she galloped him to a downhill fence, and his leg broke on the other side. (That one makes me cry, still! The person gets hurt or killed in fiction, doesn't do much to me, but if it's a horse, I cry.)
    Stevie got Belle through from Phil (or his friend?), who got her through a rescue. Later, Belles ownership is challenged by a girl who sees her at a PC rally. Finds out that Belle was stolen from her before Stevie got her. Stevie gets her back, since the girl said that she no longer has a relationship with her, but her new horse.
    The one I hate is "Nightmare!" I mean, why would they keep a EIA positive horse (Delilah- Samsons mommy) around? And if Carol had so much sense, then why did she try to ride her- a sick (the mare collaspes on the ride) contagious horse? Never made any sense to me.
    Prancer was off the track, but wasn't that due to a cannon bone break? And then they jump her only months after? Umm... don't think so.
    OK- this is sad. I think I need to get a life, now....

Thoroughbred was a good series until they made the fights between Ashleigh and Brad a constant, let's see who can beat who, thing. It was OK when they were kids, but as adults? I don't think so.... Good series nontheless. Have up through 30, I think. I also have "The Forgotten Filly", which got me started on Joanne Campbell's writing.

Standardbred lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing
    Proud member of the Riders of Rohan!
    Strider's web site! http://home.woh.rr.com/thepetroskys/StriderWebPage.htm
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

Sadly, I remember a lot of this.

Discontinuity: in some books, Starlight is a plain, boring, half TB whose only name is Starlight. Yet when Carole's dad bought him he was a reg. TB from a racehorse breeder and was named Pretty Boy Floyd.

Stevie's parents get her Belle for her birthday and she turns out to be stolen etc.

Cibalt died in the above-mentioned way, then V gets Garnet, later has her sold, and then somehow gets Danny.

Lisa jumped a 4' fence on Pepper, it was *her* first time jumping, it was to escape a bull in a pasture, and Pepper was basically an old semi-ploddy school horse.

Veronica was 12, not 8. Garnet was a mare.

Stevie actually meets Phil at camp and then sees him at rallies because he belongs to another pony club.

They watch Prancer race, she breaks down (fractures her coffin bone) and comes back to Pine Hollow when Max buys her for a broodmare/lesson horse (a 3 year old TB??). Lisa then apparently starts riding her, despite the fact that she is "spirited", 4 years old, and has a messed up leg. I guess she got to jump once it healed--doubt that's too common.

Yeah, I am a geek.

=Future Johns Hopkins University Student=
    =Member of the Only Child Clique=
    =Member of the Teen Clique=

*You mean there was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?*

Wasn't Belle's name like Question Mark or something like because of the markings on her face?

-Emily-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaintedWhisper:
    Wasn't Belle's name like Question Mark (with the other girl she was stolen from) or something like because of the markings on her face?

-Emily-
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Emily-

I've never read the series, I've seen a couple of the shows, found them kinda stupid (but hey, I'm 30-something, so that's okay)

I found all of your synopsis's of the books quite entertaining!!

Has anyone read the series (only 4 or 5 books I think) about a TB filly that a girl rescues, who ends up being the very stolen, highest sold TB ever at the Keeneland sale? I can't remember the name, darnit, but they are SOOO good.

To you, she's a horse. To me, she's a family member who is big, hairy, walks on all fours and is easily startled.
    ~Colleen

lol I remember some of this stuff too, I stopped reading the books a couple years ago (I believe it was up to #73). I think that Stevie's horse was originally named Punk (short for Punctuation). She was named that because it looked like she had an upside - down punctuation mark on her head or something.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for what might have been.

The accents are Australian (maybe New Zealand?) b/c the company that decided to film the tv series is from somewhere along those lines. I think it actually says in the credits before/after the show.

The show was made by an Australian/Canadian film partnership. Seems to be filmed in Aus. - The kids who play Stevie and Carole may be Canadian or American and most of the other actors are Australian. I am an Australian married to a Canadian so I get a kick out of hearing the mix.