The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help-- my horse is an itchy mess!

I have an older TB that I took in last summer. He was fine last summer at my place but this summer has had itchy issues. Hives, scabby spots, etc. Had vet out in June and she gave him Dex. Horse was better, than got worse again about a week after the course of dex was finished. Put him back on (and off) the dex several more times over the summer. It would clear up then come back about a week or two after the course of dex was done each time. Vet thought it was fly/bug related allergy stuff.

I thought it was getting better but this AM discovered scabby, itchy horse again. Have called vet so I can go pick up yet another course of Dex. Flies are pretty much gone now as it has been cold the last few nights. My vet is coming to do fall shots in a week and a half, so if it is still going on then, will have him have a look (other vet that put him on the dex is not my usual vet, mine was out of town).

Have tried the double dosing for potential threadworms, that didn't make a difference. Have put horse on daily flax, it hasn't made a difference other than his coat is nice and shiny and dappled (where there aren't scabs/hives!). He has been on the same pasture since he came here last year, same feed, supplements, everything. Hay changes from year to year but not majorly and I've fed four or five different kinds over the summer so I don't think that's it. It was really dry here this summer and the pastures got fried/weedy so maybe it's some sort of weed he's eating in the pasture? That's about all I can come up with.

I've tried benadryl, it doesn't really help, have tried various topicals on the spots such as desitin, ichthammol, corona, listerine/baby oil combo... nothing seems to help. It is mainly on his withers, behind his "armpits" on the front legs, and on one hock/cannon. His hock has actually been a little swollen when the "crud" flares up. He was on SMZ's with the first course of dex but none since then. I had been bathing him every 2nd or 3rd day with malaket shampoo (since malaseb is no longer available), but it's too cold now to bathe.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be or what I can do to help Mr. Itchy? I really don't want to have to keep him on dex forever.

Default I have a great shampoo

It's for dogs and horses...forget the name, feel free to come borrow it.

Topically I use a mix of:

gynelotramin cream..the seven day kind
    a tube of triple antibiotic ointment
    one to two capsules of vitamin e
    a tablespoon of Zim;s crack cream and a table spoon of Tea Tree ADE ointment.

Mix well and apply to icky spots.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

Microtek Anti Itch shampoo.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

What feed and what supplements? What about bedding if he comes in at all?

Could be a combination of something in them and the allergens in the pasture even if he didn't have reactions the first year.

It's been a lousy summer for skin issues. My vet said they can hardly keep up with the skin allergy calls.

It helped my horse to take him off grain, grain products and anything with soy in it.

The "allergy herbal blend" I have put him on for the last three summers has kept him away from the vet's needle.

I also shampoo with medicated shampoo - MalAcetic.

He's on TC Sr. and supplements are Aniflex (joint), Remission (mg) and Tractguard (probiotic). Bedding is the same bagged pine sawdust/shavings and pellets so nothing new there.

I wish I could take him off of grain, but he's a hard keeper old (like 28) TB and I don't think I could keep weight on him otherwise.

MM-- I wish it would warm back up so I could bathe... I have some good medicated shampoo but it's too dang cold! I did sneak in a bath on Sat. afternoon. Thanks for the offer, though!

I guess I'll just do another course of dex and wait and see what my regular vet says... maybe the change in temps will make whatever "trigger" it is go away!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

do you have the $$ to allergy test him? I just started my Canandian itchball on the allergy shots, and am praying he is in the percentile of horses it helps.

He has been on 20mg of dex every third day for most of the summer!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Sounds like sweet itch.

Sounds like a skin allergy (isn't sweet itch a skin allergy? not sure!). My mare had some hives/funkyness going on in similar areas that you describe. A fly sheet, and flax seed added to the diet, helped tremendously.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

look here www.sweet-itch.co.uk

and try this
    click down side bar for horses
    www.camrosa.co.uk

get a fly rug and fly mask and have them on your horse 24/7 in summer months

I had one that got really itchy and it was the shavings. Your horse could have developed allergies to the shavings you use, I'd try a different bedding just to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    I have an older TB that I took in last summer. He was fine last summer at my place but this summer has had itchy issues. Hives, scabby spots, etc. Had vet out in June and she gave him Dex. Horse was better, than got worse again about a week after the course of dex was finished. Put him back on (and off) the dex several more times over the summer. It would clear up then come back about a week or two after the course of dex was done each time. Vet thought it was fly/bug related allergy stuff.

I thought it was getting better but this AM discovered scabby, itchy horse again. Have called vet so I can go pick up yet another course of Dex. Flies are pretty much gone now as it has been cold the last few nights. My vet is coming to do fall shots in a week and a half, so if it is still going on then, will have him have a look (other vet that put him on the dex is not my usual vet, mine was out of town).

Have tried the double dosing for potential threadworms, that didn't make a difference. Have put horse on daily flax, it hasn't made a difference other than his coat is nice and shiny and dappled (where there aren't scabs/hives!). He has been on the same pasture since he came here last year, same feed, supplements, everything. Hay changes from year to year but not majorly and I've fed four or five different kinds over the summer so I don't think that's it. It was really dry here this summer and the pastures got fried/weedy so maybe it's some sort of weed he's eating in the pasture? That's about all I can come up with.

I've tried benadryl, it doesn't really help, have tried various topicals on the spots such as desitin, ichthammol, corona, listerine/baby oil combo... nothing seems to help. It is mainly on his withers, behind his "armpits" on the front legs, and on one hock/cannon. His hock has actually been a little swollen when the "crud" flares up. He was on SMZ's with the first course of dex but none since then. I had been bathing him every 2nd or 3rd day with malaket shampoo (since malaseb is no longer available), but it's too cold now to bathe.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be or what I can do to help Mr. Itchy? I really don't want to have to keep him on dex forever.
    My first thoughts exactly were to treat for neck thread worms w/ the double dose of Equimaxx,followed up again w/ a repeat dose in 2wks,then i was going to say to add flax Bathing w/ a medicated shampoo perhaps...also maybe an oral daily antihistmaine such as hydroxyzine or something like anihist granules may help...i also have an injectable antihistmaine prescribed by my vet called Recover...basically like inj. benadryl which i tend to use first b4 going the steroid route.

You may just have to have your horse allegry tested either by the intradermal test or blood test to find out exactly what the culprit is

Platinum Performance makes a great skin and allegry supplement that i tried on my extremely itchy boy that seemed to help...and alot of people say flax helps...i don't know if all flax is the same but ive heard good things about Omega Horse Shine...and Horse Tech's bio flax 20

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    He's on TC Sr. and supplements are Aniflex (joint), Remission (mg) and Tractguard (probiotic). Bedding is the same bagged pine sawdust/shavings and pellets so nothing new there.

I wish I could take him off of grain, but he's a hard keeper old (like 28) TB and I don't think I could keep weight on him otherwise.

MM-- I wish it would warm back up so I could bathe... I have some good medicated shampoo but it's too dang cold! I did sneak in a bath on Sat. afternoon. Thanks for the offer, though!

I guess I'll just do another course of dex and wait and see what my regular vet says... maybe the change in temps will make whatever "trigger" it is go away!
    Just as a side note that i had to add...my former hard keepers have never looked better SINCE i took him OFF grain completely..in fact none of my horses get grain...they get a combo of plain soaked beetpulp,Progressive Nutrition's Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer(ration balancer) and Envision Classic(extruded fat supplement)...and my 17H former long/lankey skinny Tb is fatter than my big old wb's...in fact people don't believe me when i tell them he is all TB ...i used to feed Purina Ultium and have tried everything else in between....if i had to feed a "grain" so to speak i always had best luck w/ Ultium or Triple Crown Low Starch...but my horses have been off grain for nearly 5years now and people stop me and ask what i feed them b/c they look great!

I have a constantly itchy horse- no allergies, he just has persistent dry skin. I use MTG straight on the itchy spots (mostly his withers and tail head) and the itching stops right away. You don't have to rinse it off, smells bad and looks gross in the bottle but it works for me.

Try adding MSM - works great on our itchy TB.