The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Belmont Thurs: $2M+ maiden run

Thursday Oct 7th will mark the career debut for 'Storm ‘n Indian' owned by Darley.

The 2yr old (Hip # 00342 by Storm Cat out of Fleet Indian) garnered the highest price during the 2009 Keeneland September yearling sale at $2,050,000.

It will be the 7th race on the card ($51k maiden @ 7-furlongs) and while 10 are entered the coupled entry of 'Storm 'n Indian' and 'Fort Hughes' likely means the latter will get scratched.

Alan Garcia gets the mount and he's trained for Darley by Kiaran McLaughlin.

From the press release at the time Keeneland Sep 15, 2009:

John Ferguson, representing Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, out dueled John Magnier of Coolmore Stud to purchase Storm ‘N Indian for $2.05 million, topping the Tuesday session of Keeneland’s September Yearling Sale.

The colt, from the last full crop of leading sire Storm Cat, is the first foal of the champion mare Fleet Indian. He was consigned by Taylor Made Sales Agency, as agent for breeders Frank and Jane Lyon’s Summer Wind Farm. The Lyons purchased Fleet Indian, carrying this foal, privately from owner Paul Saylor after the mare failed to meet her reserve at Keeneland’s 2007 November Breeding Stock Sale.

“Fleet Indian was a champion and a star of a mare. He (the colt) is very athletic with a great pedigree,” Ferguson commented.

Duncan Taylor, President of Taylor Made, agreed with Ferguson’s assessment. “He’s a big, strong, sound colt; very correct and very athletic. Frank and Jane Lyon are good horse people who raise quality stock.”

I didn't see the final order yet, but it looks like Storm ‘N Indian finished a well beaten last. He didn't look happy on the track from the word go.

awww. and if pedigree query is correct the winning horse sold for "only" $12K at that same yearling sale.

(but for over $200K as a 2 yr old, apparently...)

Funny, I'm not getting any sales results for the winner in the bloodhorse auction search tool thingy... hmph.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

One more example that the horse has no idea what his/her monetary "value" is. I love when the cheap ones trump the big bucks (although I do feel badly for the horses who disappoint their monied connections). The TB market is crazy, askew at best.

The race replay: Belmont 10-7-10 Race 7

There hasn't been any published comment from the connections on the race or what went wrong.

Truthfully this has always been my favorite thing about horse racing and is the main reason I switched from hunters to racing almost 20 years ago. My budget is little but my horsemanship skills are pretty big. That works on the track to a point. Doesn't work at all in the hunter ring.