The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I Get Trail-Et Keys?

I am down to just one key that fits my Trail-et locks and no one seems to be able to duplicate them. Trail-et is, of course, out of business and I'm hoping somebody here knows how I can get duplicates or who I might call to find out. I don't dare lose my one key .
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

If that were me, I'd put that key on a chain and wear it around my neck 24/7! Then, as is getting more common as I age, I would forget where that was, but eventually I'd look in a mirror!

Seriously, I don't know how different the locks on trailers are, but I replaced both locks on mine myself. If not so inclined to DIY, you could have a locksmith change them out for you.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Trail-Et is out of business? Aw, that breaks my heart! I love my Trail-Et trailer!!
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Look for a manufacturers name somewhere on the door. Something like Creation (I think out of business now) whose windows and doors were used by the majority of trailer manufacturers. Open the door and look around the edges. Once you find a name, Google it and call the manufacturer if you can locate them.

That may be some help, but door manufacturers didn't make their own hardward like locks, so better still would be if you can find the lock manufacturer.

If you can find either the door or lock manufacturer, call an RV place and ask if they can make a key.

If none of that works, take a picture of the lock and send it to these people. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...es-storage.htm

I had no trouble getting the hardware store to duplicate my Trail-et keys.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I lost the keys to my brand new trailet on the way home from the dealer, an 8 hour drive. Thankfully I remembered stoping for gas and hearing a clink. I tried a locksmith before I drove 3 hours back to the gas station. Locksmith couldn't even open it. I did manage to find one key in the road and called trailet with the key code and ordered 2 more. I believe they are rv locks, so try an rv dealer with the key code. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I had no trouble getting the hardware store to duplicate my Trail-et keys.
    Then you went to a great hardware store. I've tried the three small hardware stores in my area (Ace), Home Depot and Lowes.

Tom - I will definitely take a look and see what I see - thanks!

I've been following Over the Hill's advice about wearing it for awhile now and I'm scared my luck is going to run out. I had thought about changing the locks but was hoping there was someone out there that could make duplicates before I went the more expensive route.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Then you went to a great hardware store. I've tried the three small hardware stores in my area (Ace), Home Depot and Lowes.

Tom - I will definitely take a look and see what I see - thanks!

I've been following Over the Hill's advice about wearing it for awhile now and I'm scared my luck is going to run out. I had thought about changing the locks but was hoping there was someone out there that could make duplicates before I went the more expensive route.
    Sometimes you just need to wait for the right person on duty who can find the right blank. My duplicates have a square head.

When I put the new lock in on my front door, it took me three tries to find someone - at the same store that I bought the freaking lock from - who knew exactly which blank it was and took care of me.

I most likely duplicated that key at a Home Depot in southern California.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I would try a former trail-et dealer. The one by me is coast to coast trailers. 1-888-860-1360 You would need to give them the key code. At the very least write the key code down in case you do lose the one key.

Poltroon - you might have a point there. It's been about a month since I tried to get a duplicate so maybe I'll go back and try again with a different employee.

Tasia - our local Trail-Et dealer was a former neighbor of ours who is no longer in business at all. I'll see who else might be around though. Also thanks for the tip about writing down the key code - I'll do that.
    Susan N.

When I bought my Logan, the previous owner thought she had all the keys, but it turned out the only key she had was for the windows. I thought for sure I was going to have to replace the locks, but I had a locksmith actually come out to my trailer to make new keys.

It took the guy a really long time 3+ hours over two visits and he had to bring a colleague out to help, but he finally managed to present me with two sets of new keys.

See if you can find a locksmith who understands how to re-key RVs.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

If you Google Trailet you get these people-www.northwoodstrailers.com

They did call me back and said they had parts.

Now I'm going to see if I can get keys made too-my used trailer only came with one key.

I think my mom got one from Dibella's in PA. MIght be worth a try.

Thanks MaybeMorgan - I will definitely contact them!

Glad I decided to ask - now I've got lots of ideas to try - I had almost given up.
    Susan N.

Default I should have thought of this yesterday

Bludejavu, the blank for my duplicate Trail-et key is made by ilco, has a square head, and the number 1601 and TM1 on it. I can photograph it if that might help.

Bludejavu,

If you still can't get another one despite the above ideas, send me an email with a pic and if it looks right, I can try to find an old Trailet key I saw around here the other day. Trailer is long gone.

leaann.hansen (at) gmail dot com

Random-ish thought - but do you have a local locksmith who cuts keys? They might have a better selection of blanks than the hardware stores carry.

(And from personal experience, I don't have tons of faith in Lowe's for key cutting - got a key made there and it didn't work - used the same original, but took it to the locksmith's shop and it works like a dream - strangely enough, the copy works more smoothly than the original. I will say that Lowe's was very nice about refunding me the money for the non-working copy, though.)

I'm going to check out all of your ideas next week when I have more time. I'm getting ready to leave for our state fair with a combined horse show so my apologies that I haven't replied since yesterday. I'll let everyone know next week what works!
    Susan N.