The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me make my 17.1H QH into a dressage horse!!!

Need ideas on training/schooling to get my 17.1H QH ready to promote as a dressage horse. He is very good with lateral movements, we excelled in equitation patterns in the AQHA shows, he has driven a cart, he had professional jumping training for 6 months about 5 years ago, but never showed OF, and was a Congress winner as a 3 year old in the Hunter Under Saddle. He is 12 now and needs a new job, he is burned out with the flat classes at the AQHA shows, and I don't have the nerve to jump any longer.
    \"A rider is only as good as the horse that is underneath them\"

Find a good dressage trainer??? Just a thought...

After you find the dressage trainer, do the following:

Rename your horse to some german phlegmy sounding name

Bang his tail and pull his mane

feed him only holistic, all natural, organic, imported from the rain forest carrots, apples, cookies

Purchase black european tack and a browband with a classy amount of swarovski crystals

Ride with a super long whip, whether your horse needs it or not

Always ride in set of 4 white polo wraps

Purchase a dressage saddle and enough saddle pads that you don't have to ride in dirty pads. White pads with small logo preferred.

Purchase same number of full seat Pikeur (Peek-yuur) breeches, preferably same number that you purchase saddle pads. Again, you don't want to repeat an outfit at the barn. Contrasting seat color optional.

Purchase black tall boots- German or Dutch brand preferred

I think that about covers it!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post

feed him only holistic, all natural, organic, imported from the rain forest carrots, apples, cookies

Purchase black european tack and a browband with a classy amount of swarovski crystals

Purchase a dressage saddle and enough saddle pads that you don't have to ride in dirty pads. White pads with small logo preferred.

Purchase same number of full seat Pikeur (Peek-yuur) breeches, preferably same number that you purchase saddle pads. Again, you don't want to repeat an outfit at the barn. Contrasting seat color optional.

You forgot to tell her to come up with a new "breed". I have a morgan/haflinger but when I encounter snotty folks I lie and say he is a German riding pony...imported and then ruined by a BNT! Thankfully I have only had to deliver this story one time... did so with a straight face!

Find a good trainer who is not a breed snob. I had a Appaloosa who was 11th at world and did multiple classes in the breed world, show and clinic at TL 3&4. She could have easily gone first level. I was told she would cap out at 2nd. Nice, safe, fun horse. Go enjoy learning something new with your partner.
    Pamela Ellis

I need a picture, I've never seen a QH that big, LOL!
    Funny, funny story about the morgan/halflinger, ruined by a BNT, hillarious!!!

If you really want to do real dressage, the hardest thing will be to teach him about contact. AQHA HUS is anticontact. He most likely is also used to going on his front end. You're going to need to teach him to rock back on his hind end. These are the basis of dressage and the HARDEST things to achieve with consistency in any horse not used to it.

Since he knows all of the lateral stuff and I'm sure is broke to death, you may just want to have fun and play around with the tests. You probably would score pretty well at Training and First Level if he's a good boy and you ride an accurate, consistent test. After that, you're going to need the push from behind.

It may be difficult to convince an older, 17.1 hh horse that contact and hard work are good things. This may be especially difficult for a QH who probably has a strong mind of his own.

Good luck.

You could always switch to Competitive Trail Riding.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post

Ha Ha! Here's a pic of my 17H QH who I currently ride dressage. This was right after a bath:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10812919...72797130282418
    "The Horse: Friendship without envy, beauty without vanity, nobility without conceit, a willing partner, yet no slave."

Quote Originally Posted by QHDQ View Post
    If you really want to do real dressage, the hardest thing will be to teach him about contact. AQHA HUS is anticontact. He most likely is also used to going on his front end. You're going to need to teach him to rock back on his hind end. These are the basis of dressage and the HARDEST things to achieve with consistency in any horse not used to it.
    This is what I've been struggling to achieve with my 10-year-old QH gelding. He was definitely on the forehand and evasive about contact. I purchased him in November. We worked on my seat and hands for the first seven months, so it was easy for him. Then we turned our focus to him (after a two month layup). His new response has been "are you kidding me? you want me to do WHAT?"

I'm currently struggling with soreness that comes with getting him to use his hind end and back more properly. (I have a thread about it under the Horse Care section.) I'm having to take this conditioning much slower than I expected, and it's not easy. He's long-backed and a little reluctant to use his body properly. It's all a process, though, and I can't say enough good things about the awesome mind that his QH breeding brings to the process!

And QHfan2, your boy is beautiful. He looks a lot like my guy. I just can't get enough of the QHs!!

HA! Now THAT'S funny!!!!

This is my 17.2 hand AQHA gelding! Sorry this is jumping video but yes he is 17.2 and not very QH in type! He has won some dressage sutiability with me before, I have been considering doing some dressage show with him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQKzxZcLOdQ

Quote Originally Posted by HOOF IT View Post
    Need ideas on training/schooling to get my 17.1H QH ready to promote as a dressage horse. He is very good with lateral movements, we excelled in equitation patterns in the AQHA shows, he has driven a cart, he had professional jumping training for 6 months about 5 years ago, but never showed OF, and was a Congress winner as a 3 year old in the Hunter Under Saddle. He is 12 now and needs a new job, he is burned out with the flat classes at the AQHA shows, and I don't have the nerve to jump any longer.
    Hoof It, PM me if you want contact info on a couple trainers who aren't breed specific, but who can help you get where you are going (they are both about 2 hours from you).

One has experience in both dressage & AQHA HUS, meaning, he can translate one to the other & help you figure out the 1st steps on converting from one discipline to the other. The 2nd has taken an AQHA gelding to Prix St Georges, but I don't know if she has converted a HUS horse to dressage, and that's a pretty important first step. Both work with many breeds. Both can work with you, give you exercises - the stepping stones to help you & your guy improve between lessons. Both will be happy for you to trailer in.

Part of what you need to learn is how to translate from the training your guy currently has, to the training he needs to have. One of the trainers is expecting to be at Frying Pan Park in the next month or so - if you want to see him, before deciding to contact him.

Good luck & have fun, whatever path you choose to get there!
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Default BetterOffRed.......Love it!!!

What a great response, I loved it!!!!!!! So true!!

My horse does however accept contact, does move off of his hauches and is not on his forehand. The only thing we do is have our head lower than what I need for dressage. But......my horse naturally wants to carry his head higher and has always been somewhat uncomfortable carrying it so low, thus my idea to change him to dressage.

This is not what you want to see, but here he is coming off of winter, yes in a western saddle and headstall, with head low, and I don't have a helmet on, so please try to ignore these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXNI09G2iw

Dressage is not all about just getting his head in the right position.

I think the posters offering to give you dressage trainers in your area to help you was the best advice you could get. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Welcome to the obsession that is dressage!

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    Look in my webshots album in signature line. Bay mare alli in dressage gear. 17 hand appendix QH. grey horse, pippin 17.1.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Default Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    Look in my webshots album in signature line. Bay mare alli in dressage gear. 17 hand appendix QH. grey horse, pippin 17.1.
    Your QHs are very nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QHDQ View Post
    Agreed!

I actually have the opposite issue. I have a 13 y/o QH/Paint that I've been doing dressage with for the past few years. My mare really likes her job as a dressage horse even though she isn't naturally built for it. I wanted to try an APHA show this year, but my horse has a naturally higher head-set and simply doesn't move as slow as the other horses at the show. I'm sticking with dressage!

I noticed that the OP is in Loudoun County. There are LOTS of good dressage trainers in NoVA. The trainers I've worked with were very supportive of my QH/Paint doing dressage. I also take lessons with Connie Christopher at Criswood Farm. I started working with her earlier this year to prepare for the APHA show circuit. Even though I'm no longer pursuing that, I'm continuing my lessons with Connie. She may be a AQHA trainer, but she has really helped us in our dressage too.

Have you been looking in my closet/tack room ?

To the op there are a lot of quarter horses large and small that do well in dressage. I know of one the last time that I talked to the owner it was at Grand Prix training with the Barteaus. My former trainer and my current trainers are not bias about training Quarter Horsers. Even some warmbloods are not built exactly for dressage. If it's what you want to do go for it.
    Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
    -Auntie Mame

Default Do I really need to make an investment in new tack?

Can I just give this "training level" test a few tries with my hunter tack and attire? I am not ready or able to invest in all of that proper stuff for dressage.
    Where do I get a copy of these tests are they standard tests or do they change at every show just like the EQ patterns do at the AQHA shows?

Some great advice here...

Just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU for listening to your horse and realizing he's not happy in his same job anymore. He's a lovely guy and a nice mover- go out and have some fun