The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone ever had to replace an Adam trailer window?

My trailer window was broken by a rock, on the front of a Bronco II on the tack room. Has anyone ever had to replace that? I spoke to Adam and they are under the impression I will have to order a new window instead of just replacing the glass. Any ideas?

Thanks

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Ask your local glass company. If it's a Creation window, which is the most likely manufacturer, the glass company should be able to replace just the glass.

When my Adam window busted out- I had to order a whole new window. Take TomK's advice and call local glass company. It's worth a shot. I know Adam now makes their own windows- but if the trailer is older the glass company may match that manufacturer...

Any glass company can cut glass to fit including rounded corners. The only question is how is it held in.

If it's like this http://www.adamtrailers.com/_mgxroot/page_10764.html
    that's simply like the windshield in a step van. Any good glass shop can do it. They just cut that rubber surround, which holds the glass in, cut the glass to shape, and use new rubber to put the new one in. I've had it done in a step van, and they did it while I waited.

Thanks! Tom that looks right. It does wind out, the whole piece. The screen inside is fine, it just must have gotten hit with a rock and shattered. I have a glass place up the street so I will try there. I called Adam and got the "you have to order a whole new window" answer. I guess I will try to glass replacement first - if it doesn't work then I can still replace the whole thing.

Tom - do you think it would be possible to replace it with something else like plexiglass that wouldn't break so easily?

Not Plexiglas, but Lexan may be harder to break. Ask the glass company about comparable impact resistance. The glass places around here carry Lexan as well as glass. I would probably just put safety glass back in it like windshields are made from.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Not Plexiglas, but Lexan may be harder to break. Ask the glass company about comparable impact resistance. The glass places around here carry Lexan as well as glass. I would probably just put safety glass back in it like windshields are made from.
    If I have to glass, then whatever was in there is good. It broke but into little chunks with no shards. Worth a shot though. Thanks for the help!