The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

EnItForLove Guest

Unhappy Strange Knee Soreness In My Jumper Mare. NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

My mare Valentine has had some sort of weird soreness/lameness in her knee's pretty much since i bought her about year ago. I rescued her from an auction so she doesnt come with any known history! Her guesstimated age is 13/14/15 ish.
    It gets worse and better at random, although i'd say its worse if she isnt worked consistantly. I got her knee's injected to try to treat the problem but she reacted badly and her knee's swelled up the size of softballs. Her hocks are completly fine.
    We had to recently put her hay in a haynet becuase she gets sore when she grazes too long. They stock up easily as well.
    She had jumped prior to me buying her, becuase she knew what she was doing when i bought her so im not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    Please suggest anything i should try! i dont want to pay to re inject her if its not doing anything
    thanks!

How about a lameness exam to localize the problem? Even though the knees were the culprit before, maybe it's something else this time?

Also - don't know where you're located, but what about some kind of tick-borne disease?

Ditto lameness exam - flexions will help localize the problem.

Sounds like arthritis to me though - especially the on again off again symptoms and the better with riding comment.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Obviously, the vet is the preferred way to go. Find out what is really wrong. Unfortunatly I would not be too optimistic about future plans for this at least mid teen horse with a history of knee soreness. Kind of sounds like an old injury that still is painful.

JMO but injecting anew horse with unknown background without any proper diagnostic work like x rays is a waste of money.

Is she any better on 1g of Bute daily? That might make her more comfortable. Won't hurt her to see if she gets any relief...Prevocox is also available and not as apt to upset the tummy when used over a longer term.

I just have a hunch this mare is more like 25 if they claimed mid teens unless they bred her or have her papers.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.