The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird....what could this be?

I have a TB mare that has been on stall rest for a month now due to a tie-back surgery for a roar. She has recovered quite nicely from that, and has been an absolute dream to deal with. She has been super quiet, I don't even need a chain for hand grazing, just perfect. She doesn't seem stressed/anxious/mad or anything about being stuck in the stall.

The past week or so when I have been grooming her, she's fine when I curry her whole right side (enjoys it, actually), and then pins her ears and bites at the air when I curry the left side. Mostly when I get to the heart girth/ribcage area. She never did this before she had the surgery, and has been fine for about 3 weeks....loves being curried all over. I haven't changed the curry I use, nothing has changed in her diet etc... She can't be sore, since she hasn't been ridden. What do you think this could be? Ulcers popped into my head?
    Last edited by eventer95; Oct. 6, 2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: typo

I agree stress induced ulcer pops to mind

Is she on Bute?

Could she have rolled and cast and somehow banged herself?

I would take to vet and see if a course of Anti-ulcer would be OK
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

She was on bute for the first week, as well as antibiotics. She was on a 1/4 tube of gastro at the time, and probiotics.

Good thinking about rolling, sometimes the barn I board at doesn't put enough shavings in the stalls, and the mats can get a little rolled in some parts...

My first guess would be ulcers too. Could also be a little Magnesium deficient which has similar signs of ulcers. Stress really depletes magnesium levels and the horse can be *touchy* when being groomed.