The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What could have done this, Part II

There are about 15 holes in a kinda circular pattern in the middle of our backyard...from 1" to about 5" in width...the area is over a pine tree we cut down 30 years ago and the stump was ground down. We have a dog who will dig a hole up to her ears, but is not digging here. What is it? Rats? Chipmunks? She'd try to dig them out...we're in a suburban area of Atlanta...

Sounds odd.
    Moles?
    Snakes?

If the holes are shallow it could be from a skunk digging for grubs.
    If the holes are deep, about 1" wide with a little pile of mud at the entrance it's probably a crawdad hole.
    Maybe the skunk was digging for crawdads?

When we see it here, it's usually squirrels digging for truffles or other fungi growing on the plant roots. Or squirrels digging up food that they buried.

add also the many jays that hide like squirrels

I have little experience with skunk but they and raccoons will search for grubs
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Chipmunks maybe.

The most likely culprit in my area would be an armadillo. Second guess would be a squirrel.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Aliens.... Little ones.....maybe they were starting to build a "little Stonehenge" but you interrupted them?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
    If the holes are shallow it could be from a skunk digging for grubs.
    If the holes are deep, about 1" wide with a little pile of mud at the entrance it's probably a crawdad hole.
    Maybe the skunk was digging for crawdads?
    I agree--the skunk does this to our lawn all the time. If they're tunnel holes, they sound like thirteen-lined ground squirrels. They're epidemic here.

If it's deep and looks like a tunnel it could be a groundhog. They will dig multiple holes in an area so they have several exits.

If it is a groundhog, skunk or armadillo I'd think the holes would be larger? My dog usually kills any varmit in her backyard, but has worn a "lampshade" on her neck for the last three weeks 'cause of an injury...so maybe whatever it it just took over when she couldn't dig the out? Squirrels and damn rats seem to prefer our attic (ugh) and chipmunks stay in the front yard (away from the dog). Don't think it's snakes, either...they usually make their homes around here in woodpiles or underneath rocks or abandoned holes from other animals...not in the open yard.
    Aliens???????? That could be it! NASA retirees recently testified about UFO's...and to think...they may be living underground in my yard! HA! Perhaps I should contact People magazine...be labeled a "nut" but make some buck$?

Around here, racoons are well known for digging up lawns. I think they are also looking for grubs.

Skunks! Without a doubt......just take a peek about 3:00 am. They will be out there..

Quote Originally Posted by cherham View Post
    Skunks! Without a doubt......just take a peek about 3:00 am. They will be out there..

We're putting a camera out there tonight - apparently more action in the back than in the front yard...which is a good thing...front yard = burglars, etc.
    Little skunks? 1" holes? Hope my dog DOESN'T get mixed up with a skunk! Welcome to suburbia, Mr. Skunk!

Probably Voles, similiar to a mole, only they can see I believe. They make HUNDREDS of holes quickly, about the size of a quarter and perfectly neat, no dirt piled up around it. Almost like someone walked around with a stick and poked it in the ground.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1276&bih=629
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

If the holes are sort of 'conical' in shape -- like a snow cone holder -- armadillo. I had one digging up my arena and dug up every flower I planted last year. They are actually digging for grubs, etc. and will dig where the soil is loosest.

Quote Originally Posted by Budrow View Post
    I'm surprised that they don't mentions crawdads (crayfish). I have holes ALL over one area of my pasture from these little buggers. Some of the holes had the dirt mounds around the top while others didn't. Turns out ducks like to eat them. I found that out one day after a week of heavy rain when my ducks walked around the pasture ripping apart and chowing down on all the dead crawdads that had been washed out of their holes.