The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drying out a used cooler

My current stable's policy is that nothing gets hung on doors. Ever. I can totally appreciate the desire for a streamlined, safe, neat barn.

However, I am now struggling to figure out how to dry out things that I previously would have left on the blanket bar on the stall door. There are hooks in the aisle for the occasional "need to hang" item, but I don't think they will be particularly pleased if I hang my damp coolers up on those after each ride. Taking them home after each ride like I do for wet saddle pads (for washing) isn't an option.

There is room in my tack box for them, but I'm worried they won't dry because there is no airflow, and the dampness of the coolers will have a negative effect on my (sealed/stained) wooden box and it's contents.

Will it dry alright in my box? Or am I SOL until the BOs change their policy and allow blanket bars?

It will not dry in your box. I would think the only alternative is to bring it home each night and hang it there...

Could you get a blanket bar put on the outside of your tack box? I wouldn't leave a damp cooler in there either...

Could you try laying it over the top of your tack box? I'm in the same situation as you. Not because we can't hang anything, but because my horse lives outside and there's no where to hang a cooler! I have a standing saddle rack so my plan is to try laying it over my saddle (which is protected by a fleece cover and then a towel because I found out kitty claws get through fleece. If I had room, I would put up a blanket bar, but our tack room isn't laid out such that there is room.

I wouldn't lay it over your tack trunk it will ruin the finish.

Put it in a plastic bag in your car trunk take home and Air Dry on a line or in your garage.

Can you ask the BO/BM what they would suggest you do instead? Surely you are not the only one at the barn with this problem... or does everyone else just bring their coolers home? That sounds like such a pain. I doubt it will dry in your tack box, and I too would be concerned about it affecting the box and all your stuff!

Where do they keep the blankets? Can you storeh with your horse's blanket?

Or ask the BO/BM if you can have one of these: http://www.horseworks.com/inc/sdetail/8007

It is made of this thick woven fabric so it gets airflow. I use it in the front of my horse's stall.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

i have a blanket bag much like the one the prior poster linked to (mine is from SS). it's made of cotton blend. i would NOT put a damp anything in there in hopes of it drying out properly. in order to keep the cooler in there you'd have to fold it. clearly a folded cooler is not going to dry fast and sitting in there damp will likely cause stinky stuff to grow.

i second suggestion that you ask the BO to recommend a best way for you to deal with this.

my prior BO bought hooks for each stall which were mounted high up so that we could hang wet blankets and coolers on them. they were particularly helpful when you brought horses in from inclement weather and their sheets were super wet. by hanging them on those hooks they drip dried nicely. it also gave a nice uniform look to the barn aisle with everyone's blanket hanging in the same exact place on the front of the stall.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I wouldn't lay it over your tack trunk it will ruin the finish.

Put it in a plastic bag in your car trunk take home and Air Dry on a line or in your garage.
    My garage is my fairly small apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday's Child View Post
    Can you ask the BO/BM what they would suggest you do instead? Surely you are not the only one at the barn with this problem... or does everyone else just bring their coolers home? That sounds like such a pain. I doubt it will dry in your tack box, and I too would be concerned about it affecting the box and all your stuff!
    Erm... I'm the only serious english rider (as far as I can tell), and I'm definitely the only person who rides english in a way that can be further delinated to a sub catetory (hunters). The owners are fairly serious (as far as I can tell) reiners. I don't mean to sound critical, but this is a private barn that kinda grew into a boarding barn, and I get the impression that sometimes my suggestions, inquiries and requests are annoying to them. And trust me, I am *not* high-maintence at all. They are questions like "do you know when you'll have time to drag the ring?" or "would you consider putting up [insert description of my idea] to keep the bird poop out of my horses water buckets? Or, do you have another plan you've already considered?".

It's just a little bit different style of horse keeping. Half the horses are out 24/7 (with run in sheds). Most people at this barn haven't even put sheets on the horses yet (and it's been 40s overnight and 50s pouring all day here for almost a week)... and one who did put what I swear feels like a heavy. It's certainly insulated and not a sheet. Much different than the last barn I was at where we all had at least 3 different weight blankets for turn out and to swap out when wet or damaged. I don't even know if anyone else at this barn owns a cooler...

But, a college team recently started riding there, so maybe I can kinda push my personal agenda by suggesting they consider how they will handle blankets, cooling out, etc for the horses used for those lessons. The trainer, for all the differences I have with her, would help me push this.

[QUOTE=BetterOffRed;5140756]Where do they keep the blankets? Can you storeh with your horse's blanket? [QUOTE]

Currently my extra blankets are in garbage bags with moth balls crammed into my second box. There is no extra storage at this barn, and I really don't want to bring stuff home to my apartment (even if it is clean) because then I *NEVER* have it at the barn when I need it. Just my karma lot in life, I guess.

I'm sort of considering moving again, anyway. There are a *lot* of things I like about this barn, but some things just make me want to scream. Y'all can look for the "which barn should I pick" thread after I go barn stalking this week.

The owners are fairly serious (as far as I can tell) reiners.
    If they are serious reiners, their horses will be in blankets, sleezies with lights turned on to keep their horses from growing a coat! At least that's what I've seen with some of the serious western riders around my area! They freak if their horses grow coats!

I don't mean to sound critical, but this is a private barn that kinda grew into a boarding barn, and I get the impression that sometimes my suggestions, inquiries and requests are annoying to them. And trust me, I am *not* high-maintence at all. They are questions like "do you know when you'll have time to drag the ring?" or "would you consider putting up [insert description of my idea] to keep the bird poop out of my horses water buckets? Or, do you have another plan you've already considered?".
    OMG! I feel for you, I really do. I board at a small private place too. I love it for the most part, but our old school cowboy barn manager gives me the evil eye and thinks I am 'high maintenance' because when I tell him when the outdoor arena is too deep, arena needs to be dragged and watered. Meanwhile, I do my own worming, my own shots, call my own vet and my own farrier.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

http://www.horseworks.com/inc/sdetail/239

What about something like that? You can stick the damp cooler in and leave the bag next to your tack trunk. The bag has the mesh so it can breathe, but it looks 10x better then a blanket curled up on the ground.
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

If they are serious reiners they will be blanketing and most likely have coolers, they also would be very very particular about the footing in the riding ring.

I have a small living space and tend to hang things to dry over the curtain pole in the shower.

Your best bet might be to have 2 coolers so you can switch out.

After I put my sadde away and cover it, I usually just drape my cooler out over my saddle and let it fall. We can hang our blankets on the stalls, but I don't like to put my cooler out there as they get nasty really fast.
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Do you have a spot in a communal tack room, or does your trunk have to live in the aisle? if you have a tack room where you get a place to put your trunk underneath your wall-mounted saddle rack, is there a way you can mount a swing-arm blanket bar on the wall above your saddle rack? then the blanket could hang on the bar, out into the room no farther than your saddle rack reaches, and drape over the rest of your stuff but not intrude on anyone else's space.

Well, they are particular about the footing... when *they're* riding. So far, if they go a few days without riding the ring goes a few days without dragging. And one end of the ring is kinda banked oddly right in front of the big door they drive the tractor in and out of. Makes staying balanced in the corner an adventure on the downward side.

And maybe I'm wrong about the "serious" part. I've never seen a western horse go, really, until this barn so... yeah. Maybe they're more casual than I realize?

Putting a blanket bar on my tack box is possibly the most effective idea so far...

The tack room is set up so that all of the possible wall space is taken by saddle racks (stacked one above the other) and bridle hooks opposite that.

I'll also just start by asking the BO what she recommends. At least then I know what kind of bind I might be in.