The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fecals every 3 *OR* 4 months??? UPDATE: waited 4 months, see results post #16...

Which do you do? I had always thought it was recommended to do every 3 months. However, when I asked HL about sending my next kit they said mine wasn't due for another 3 weeks. This was because he had a positive, was de-wormed and rechecked clean 3 weeks later. So...they pushed his recheck date back those 3 weeks (which would make it just shy of 4 months). Weird, or does it matter? FWIW, I de-wormed with Equimax most recently and I'm just at the beginning stage of all this so doing fecals until I can get a "read" on whether each one is going to be a low, moderate or high shedder. Just curious what other folks are doing.
    Last edited by Dune; Nov. 6, 2010 at 03:19 AM.

Base it on the results of the last FEC and whether you used a chemical dewormer.

4 months after a high enough count, then a deworming, is reasonable. Ivermectin is good for 8 weeks (barring the new issue of a 4 week ERP ) so a check 2 months after that is valid.

Anyone know a good (read: Cheap) place to get a fecal done?

My vet is charging me 30 dollars for this one... would love to find a better deal.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Smart pak sells a fecal test kit for $18.95.
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

I don't have a centrifuge though. Want to send it to a lab and have them spin it down...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I'll admit, I've never really been into doing fecal tests and relied on my vet's deworming protocol.

Last weekend my friend dewormed her ottb mare w/ quest...and the mare colicked, gut ruptured and had to be put down. Vet is pretty darn certain it was due to a massive die off.

So, not sure a fecal would've helped in this case, but its certainly making me think that the $30 fecal a few times a year is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Anyone know a good (read: Cheap) place to get a fecal done?

My vet is charging me 30 dollars for this one... would love to find a better deal.
    http://www.horsemenslab.com/

If you buy 6 they're $11 each.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    I'll admit, I've never really been into doing fecal tests and relied on my vet's deworming protocol.
    Any chance you could share it?

Last weekend my friend dewormed her ottb mare w/ quest...and the mare colicked, gut ruptured and had to be put down. Vet is pretty darn certain it was due to a massive die off.
    Could be. What was the timing of the Quest and the colic? What had the mare been dewormed with, and when, in the previous 6 months or so?

So, not sure a fecal would've helped in this case, but its certainly making me think that the $30 fecal a few times a year is worth it.
    Depends. If the protocol involved a lot of Strongid or Pancur, a FEC would likely have shown a high egg count and told the owner/the vet that the program wasn't working. It's less likely the colic was due to the Quest than to something else, but without an autopsy... So sorry for her

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Base it on the results of the last FEC and whether you used a chemical dewormer.

4 months after a high enough count, then a deworming, is reasonable. Ivermectin is good for 8 weeks (barring the new issue of a 4 week ERP ) so a check 2 months after that is valid.

JB...FEC was 350 on this one and we dewormed with Equimax. Given the ERP *I* was thinking that we shouldn't wait the (almost) 4 months but should retest in 3. My question is: Is there anything wrong with that rationale? Should I wait the extra month?...and if so, why?

JB,

I meant to jot it down (hanging in my tack room), but i forgot to.

As far as the other mare, I don't really know the details of the mare's deworming history. I do know it was a matter of a day or so from the deworming to the colic.

Does anyone know how horsman's lab does their sample analysis?

Centrifuge? Zinc Float?

Just look at it under a microscope?

Call them and ask them, naters, they are the ones doing mine these days. I'm just hung up on the 3 versus 4 months question....

In the end, you just have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Having had a high count to cause the deworming, no harm in doing another 3 months after, which is as soon as you can do it anyway - 8 weeks/2 months for the Equimax to "run out", and then another 4 weeks/month to allow accumulation.

The downside is there may be a relatively low count that could become higher at month 4.

If you do one at 3 months, and it's low, and you wait another 2-3 months do to another one, and it becomes high enough at month 4, you see how that works

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    JB...FEC was 350 on this one and we dewormed with Equimax. Given the ERP *I* was thinking that we shouldn't wait the (almost) 4 months but should retest in 3. My question is: Is there anything wrong with that rationale? Should I wait the extra month?...and if so, why?
    I think its important that when you start using fecals on which to base your wormer schedule is that you develope a history over time......for example.......I started checking two weeks after worming and the just prior to worming which was every 3 months ......if they were all clean then I would go 4 months and check .....then 5 months and check ....but also doing weekly counts each time I went longer for more assurance and to catch possible shedding that I could miss if doing it only once.......I am now on a 6 month worming schedule.....once in the fall after coming off pasture and once in the spring before going out on pasture.....so far everyone is clean.

Dalemma

Ok, sounds like not a bad idea then to wait until the 4 months....and that I will do. Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    In the end, you just have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Having had a high count to cause the deworming, no harm in doing another 3 months after, which is as soon as you can do it anyway - 8 weeks/2 months for the Equimax to "run out", and then another 4 weeks/month to allow accumulation.

The downside is there may be a relatively low count that could become higher at month 4.

If you do one at 3 months, and it's low, and you wait another 2-3 months do to another one, and it becomes high enough at month 4, you see how that works
    Ok, compromised and did it just shy of 4 months by about a week. Strongyle count of 300. Since I did Equimax last time, I'm thinking Quest this time...agree??

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    I think its important that when you start using fecals on which to base your wormer schedule is that you develope a history over time......for example.......I started checking two weeks after worming and the just prior to worming which was every 3 months ......if they were all clean then I would go 4 months and check .....then 5 months and check ....but also doing weekly counts each time I went longer for more assurance and to catch possible shedding that I could miss if doing it only once.......I am now on a 6 month worming schedule.....once in the fall after coming off pasture and once in the spring before going out on pasture.....so far everyone is clean.

Dalemma

Wish this one was clean this time, but apparently not. See above.

Yep, go ahead and do Quest.

So I just had a FEC on my horse. He's on daily Strongid, and was dewormed last on August 1 (Can't recall with what right now). The results? "Some strongyles" I have no idea what that means, and the lady at the vet's office says they don't get any more specific than that. I'd love a recommendation on what to use now.

Also, thanks for the recommendations on the fecal options. I won't be using this vet further if that's all they can tell me.

My recommendation?

As soon as you've had a good freeze, which may have already happened, take him off the DW and give him Equimax or Quest Plus.

then, in 12 or 16 weeks,depending on which product you used, respectively, have another FEC done and go from there.

There is too much resistance being reported to DWs.

Also, it was near-useless to have used ivermectin on August 1. The purpose of twice yearly ivermectin with DW horses is to kill bots. As of 8/1, you still had probably 2+ months of above-freezing weather for bots to be laying eggs still.

And yeah, "some strongyles" is about useless too They DO get more specific than that, they are just too lazy to get the numbers. Or they did a half-assed count and just stopped counting after they saw "some"

Yup I would do Quest and than do a fecal count in two weeks to see if you have any resistance....your count should be zero.

Dalemma