The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Potentially dumb rooster question!!

I'm thinking about getting some hens and I would like a rooster or two as well, more because I like how they look then their actual function.
    I know that roosters can be caponized when very young, but then their rooster attributes don't generally develop ( long feathers, combs etc). Can I have a mature rooster caponized?
    That way I can have the look without the hassle (breeding, crowing)

See odd question!!!!
    But if anyone has an answer, or even an idea, that would be great!!
    Thanx in advance!!
    LBR

damn, I was hoping you needed some advise that started with 'Preheat the oven to 400 degrees'

Not sure how birds work, but in most adult males of other species not all the male traits go away after being caponized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I hesitate to wonder WHO would be willing to "neuter" a mature rooster...I'd love to hear that conversation with a vet.

Why would you want to "caponize" one? Just keep him a rooster, if you enjoy the attributes. I'm not sure the aggression would be minimized if you snip him as an adult anyway.

I hate them..they terrorize the ladies of the flock, are aggressive toward humans and are so obnoxiously noisy. But, I know many folks love the crowing, so enjoy!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post

I hate them..they terrorize the ladies of the flock, are aggressive toward humans and are so obnoxiously noisy. But, I know many folks love the crowing, so enjoy!
    And there's the crux of the problem. I hate 'em too, after having some very nasty encounters many, many moons ago. But I do loff to hear them crow. I really miss my neighbors rooster since it got killed in the road.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

My roosters free range, and while they are horny little so and sos I have never had one be aggressive to people, maybe because they have room to move. I like my roosters and have to say, I love the crowing too..I guess I am in the minority there. I am not sure about caponizing an older one though. I do have an antique set of caponizers though if you need to borrow them

I currently have three roosters. None of them are human agressive....although I've had ones before that were. I have had several different breeds of roosters and have found that the bantam breeds tend to be more agreessive than the larger breeds. Rhode Island Reds seem to be the friendlest although right now I have a barred rock crossed with one of the giant breeds that is just a big pet...he will eat out of our hand and enjoys scritches. I think it depends more on the individual rooster and how he was raised too. If he was handled a lot as a baby he will be more like a pet, I think and less likely to attack. They are all rough on the hens though. Wouldn't want to be a hen for nuthin.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I LOVE my roosters, but I do not have hens, so they are sweet. Elvis is a love, and Wiley is nuts and funny as he!!. If I had hens. I'd only have one rooster - they WILL fight, even if neutered (I would think). If you raise them by hand they should not be nasty. My older rooster wasvery kind to his ladies when I had them. When they all passed, I got 2 young roosters (Elvis, a Black Cochin, and Wiley, a Wynadott) and they keep my yard tick free (that is their function). Love them!

Hanging out with the dogs: http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=IMG_9518.jpg

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...arm/?start=all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIt9B6JhpE
    video of my husband hand feeding our monster rooster....amongst other critters.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

WOW! Many more responses than I expected!!

The human aggressive thing doesn't bother me that much, if I got sick of him he could become Coq Au Vin!!! It's more that I've read how nasty they can be to the hens. I guess I could have them in separate areas? Or just give up on the whole idea of roosters at all.
    I have heard that as the rooster matures the testes become very soft and harder to remove, so it's probably not that feasible.

Antique caponizing kit??? That just SOUNDS painful!

I have to admit I have met some roosters that made my favorite rooster instructions "pre-heat the oven to..."!!!

From observing friends with chickens, there seems to be less rooster/hen aggression if there is only one rooster.

They can get extra nasty when they feel they have to compete for the ladies.

I bought the caponizer on a whim while out antiquing right after we bought the farm...It was not expensive and in perfect condition including the original box...I hear they work quite well and the newer ones are not much of an improvement. I have yet to try it out though!

I just left a barn where there was a big Polish rooster that was viscious towards people. He would attack, peck and spur people. Sadly he was smart enough to stay out of the driveway, I know several boarders that would have willingly run over him, he was THAT mean.

I currently have three roos and only one hen. I have the Polish and also a Plymouth Barred Rock and then a pair of Americaunas. My Barred Rock roo is the meanest of the bunch. He does get it into his head from time to time to run after people and deliver a little peck. He is mean in his cage though. He will attack you when you reach in to feed or water him. My other roos are very sweet, especially the Polish.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

If you decide to try the caponizer, do quite a bit of research, and from what I've read, expect a certain amount of loss.
    After I read about how to do it, I don't think I could bring myself to do it, tho the reasoning makes sense.

We had three roos and they beat up the ladies something awful. We only had seven hens and I hear you need ten per male so obviously we set ourselves up for failure. The largest was aggressive towards us and ran the hens ragged, then the other two would run to the scene and we'd have a gang rape, it really needed to stop, so what we did was catch the three of them and pen them up, and then tried to select the best natured of the three. The one who is out now will eat from your hand and the hens don't hide from him. I had to buy hen savers anyway, the damage had been done.
    I don't know about caponizing them - I've been told it's difficult, and if they are anything like the dog you won't be able to pick which secondary sex characteristics develop - you could have a scrawny hen like bird that crows, LOL.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I thought maybe you were concerned that your Rooster was blonde...

We have 5 Silkie roosters that wander the farm during the day and are the nicest little things on the planet. These five do not have any ladies, they are on their own.

That said...

We had a big old Rhode Island Red Roo and a Plymouth Rock roo. Both were very nice until they hit two. EVIL, EVIL, EVIL at two. Thankfully mother nature did my dirty work for me...one died naturally (probably had a heart attack while chasing after my hens they fat hormonal !)#$!#$)**) and the other escaped the runs and was probably done in by a fox or coyote.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Silkie roosters have always been the sweetest for me. Reds are the real bruisers of the world and I used to keep one to teach the dogs not to chase them.
    My Buff Jap roo was a show bird and therefore easily handled. He was really rough on the hens though
    Hands down favorite I ever raised were Porcelains. Male was easy to handle, little, and his crow was not at all annoying. Second fav was my millie fleur. My biggest complaint about both of those breeds is they can be high drama birds in mixed company simply because of their size. They also need protection as they are perfect mouth size for the wild dogs.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantam_porcelain.html

Sultans are fun and funny looking, again not big birds and not too rough on their ladies. Favorite hens are the Cochins, those ladies will sit anything you put under them and are by far the best little layers I ever dealt with. Lovely pets and very sweet. My rooster was not bad but was basically a piece of furniture in he had 0 personality. He wasn't bad on his ladies either but his crow to me was the worst.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Please do not try and caponise your rooster with those barbaric instruments of torture.

It involves shoving a hole inbetween their ribs and hooking their testicles out through the hole. With no anesthetic.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by fernie fox View Post
    Please do not try and caponise your rooster with those barbaric instruments of torture.

It involves shoving a hole inbetween their ribs and hooking their testicles out through the hole. With no anesthetic.
    They should implement this discipline into the justice system. ha.

I had my first and only experience with a rooster this summer. I visited my sister who has one. She refers to him as "db"=dead bird. The only time he shut-up was when there was music playing. Needless to say, they play alot of music.

I have a cochin bantam roo named "ut oh". He's sweet, gentle, pretty and crows. He's non aggressive as well. So maybe a cochin bantam will be what you want.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."