Default Barn Paint

I'm getting ready to repaint the barn. It is currently a dull gray mixed with dirt.

Obviously I want to make sure the paint is safe for the horses...any recommendations?

I'm actually on repainting it gray and possibly accenting with navy.

I'd go with high quality house paint. Why would you worry about it being safe for horses? Do yours chew on the barn? I'm pretty sure paint is paint when it comes to safety- you don't want anything eating it.

When we painted our small barn we were told of Kilz Casual Colors exterior paint. It absolutely coated in one coat and has held up fantastically for over two years now. It is sold only at WalMart but don't let that keep you from buying it. The paint is unbelievable. We used the barn red, that you can buy by the gallon or 5 gallon, but they can mix any color. If the name Kilz sounds familiar it is because at first they only sold a primer product.
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

We just used regular outdoor paint from Home Depot on our barn when it was repainted 2 years ago, and it looks great.

As you probably already know, make sure you power-wash your barn first to get off all the dirt and any loose paint bits before painting. It will extend the life/color of your paint.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

We were warned off of the barn paint at our feed / farm supply / hardware store, poor coverage, does not weather well.

Check if any of your memberships carry a discount. My ApHC memberhip offers a discount for Sherwin Williams. This discount can be 20 - 30 % off a gallon.

We just painted a barn and fence and used MBA (division of SW) house paint. Told the clerk what we wanted to paint and ask if they had something economical. He had four pails of a line that was discontinued, sold it to us for $75.00 for five gallon pail. This was normally priced at $289.00 per pail.

We used a Wagner Paint Crew to do our painting. What a time saver!

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...43225,747.html

Solid stain

SO much easier to deal with if/when it comes time to redo.

I've been using the Olympia Deck solid stain from Lowe's. Said its "guaranteed" for 8 years.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"