The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Antihistimines

I have been dealing with an allergy induced dry cough most of the summer. This is the first summer he has had this. Nothing so far has really worked or at least kept it from coming back so at this point I am looking for something to suppress the cough. Someone else is trying an antihistime prescribed by her vet, Tri Hist, I believe. Anyway, my vet has said he has never really had any success with this for a dry cough. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if they had any success with an antihistimine and if so which one. Or any other miracle cures other than the fall weather getting its butt down here to South Florida.

Tri-Hist has been known to cause Anhidrosis aka failure to sweat in horses.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Lovely, I don't need that now. He started having a hard time sweating normal when I had him on the Dex. Got him back to almost normal now, so don't want to go there again. Thanks for that info. Really running out of options here.

What about Cough Free??? I've never personally used it but have heard many others have used it with success for allergies and cough.

My older mare is on Tri-Hist right now. She got a respiratory infection last winter and since has been extremely sensitive to dusty hay, etc.--and was coughing quite a bit. My vet has been working with me on the situation. She has been on and off ventipulmin and we didn't want to keep her that long-term. Tried the herbal cough supplements and they didn't seem to help. Most recently, I added the Tri-Hist and it has been working BUT (big but) we also changed her to 24/7 turnout. So, it's hard to tell which of those things is helping her (maybe both). I will say that my vet said that Tri-Hist is usually more effective than the herbal cough remedies. It's relatively inexpensive (especially compared to Ventipulmin!!! ) so I decided to give it a try.

Histall is what works for my guy. 2x per day when things are bad but we've been able to do a 1x day dose for most of this summer. We've tried Anihist but that makes his cough worse. TriHist makes him stop sweating. CoughFree doesn't seem to help him.

Edited to add: Lots of turnout and wetting his feed/hay makes a difference too. I'm not for sure exactly what type of allergen triggers his cough but trying to keep the dust down for him helps.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Trihist is miserable to deal with if your horse won't eat it on food. Getting it in a consistency to put it in a dosage syringe (plus need a wide enough opening in the syringe) is a PITA (it's like cornmeal).