The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SuperSTB
    Patty is adorable! However, is your hubby really aware that she is going to grow up to be a PIG and not this cute little cuddly pseudo dog? I am an animal lover and my hubby (not too kindly) calls our house "the zoo" but even I can't imagine having a house pig. Now if I had a ranch, I might be talked into one.

And I have to ask, farm pig poop is the worst! Do pbp have less obnoxious poop because of their diet?

good luck, and bless you for taking his adventure in stride!

Maybe Patty is his mid-life crisis? If so, it could be alot worse, guess I would take a pig in that case

Mid-Life Crisis? I dunno- I'm pretty sure the last 14yrs of marriage has been one big mid-life crisis- LOL. Maybe we should have name the pig "hubby's BMW". I told him that PBPigs can get to be a couple hundred pounds.

Pig poo has no odor, her diet is pretty ho-hum veggy boring treats plus pellets. We've been cleaning her litter box 2x per day which we do with the cats as well.

So far in 3 days, she has learned her name, "Circle" spin in a circle, "Belly" to lay on her side to rub her tummy and handle her feet, "Up" stand up and pay attention a precurser to letting us pick her up without too much protest although she's good at being held.

We're still working on "No", "Sit", "bedtime", and of course "time-out" for when she gets too demanding or pushy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    Mid-Life Crisis? I dunno- I'm pretty sure the last 14yrs of marriage has been one big mid-life crisis- LOL. Maybe we should have name the pig "hubby's BMW". I told him that PBPigs can get to be a couple hundred pounds.

Pig poo has no odor, her diet is pretty ho-hum veggy boring treats plus pellets. We've been cleaning her litter box 2x per day which we do with the cats as well.

So far in 3 days, she has learned her name, "Circle" spin in a circle, "Belly" to lay on her side to rub her tummy and handle her feet, "Up" stand up and pay attention a precurser to letting us pick her up without too much protest although she's good at being held.

We're still working on "No", "Sit", "bedtime", and of course "time-out" for when she gets too demanding or pushy.

Hubby thought "Porsche" and saw Pork instead.

Patty Pig is already better trained than my corgis.....so jealous!!!!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I know someone who had a PBP, wonderfully trained, behaved very well, was even in a school play and a wedding! When the couple who owned him were divorced, they sold the animals on their mini-farm but they legally had joint custody of the pig. No lie.

According to a colleague, they taste just as good as any other pig...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Pics:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11600179@N06/5055856913/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11600179@N06/5056472352/

I don't know why in the world DH decided we needed a pig. Completely out of character since I'm the animal person.
    That little pig is just about the cutest thing I ever saw. Good luck with her!

Oooooo - start teaching her agility basics. It would be the cutest thing ever to run her in an agility class. Plus the dogs' "WTF?!" bubbles would be awesome.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...-for-dogs.html
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

anyone have any experience with the really small piggies, the 30-pound royal dandies? are they too inbred to be healthy?

and how come their litter boxes don't smell? normal pig excrement is beyond gross.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    anyone have any experience with the really small piggies, the 30-pound royal dandies? are they too inbred to be healthy?

and how come their litter boxes don't smell? normal pig excrement is beyond gross.
    From what I've read... the teacups or mini pigs are inbred for smaller stature and also have super restrictive diets to keep them small. Of course I do not know the validity of such statements.

Patty's box doesn't smell at all. But I think the commercial farming pigs are fed with a much different diet. Patty has a low protien and mostly fresh veggy diet (sans high starch and sugar veggies).

I'm actually not concerned with how big she gets- as long as she doesn't get overweight