The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2005
    Posts
    2,625

    Default Pot Bellied Pigs... oh dear

    So who's got em?

    Hubby bought a PBPig Saturday night. I find this incredibly odd behavior of *him* but that's besides the point.

    Well, I have a PBPig in my house- and she is about 8 wks old.

    Hubby looks at me for information and guidance. I looked back and said "I got nothing for you huh- my experience encyclopedia of animal husbandry ends at horses".

    So I hit the internet- got some tidbits but can always use more... tips, tricks, do's and don't VERY welcome.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,064

    Default

    http://www.pigplacementnetwork.com/

    This is a pretty informative website. They also have a message board forum.

    Is he positive it is a potbellied pig and not a farm hog?

    They are complex animals and very smart. You should invest in some books too.

    Good luck! Any pictures?
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2005
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    http://www.pigplacementnetwork.com/

    This is a pretty informative website. They also have a message board forum.

    Is he positive it is a potbellied pig and not a farm hog?

    They are complex animals and very smart. You should invest in some books too.

    Good luck! Any pictures?
    Oh this is a potbelly pig. She's got some cute markings. He bought her from a PB Pig breeder. Pictures forthcoming. Her parents were on property and both were around 100lbs each.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,998

    Default

    Unless you`re home alot AND intend to keep this guy as a house pig, send hubby back for the second pig! they are very social animals & thrive on companionship



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    838

    Default

    pot bellied pigs are fabulous! i miss mine so!

    they are VERY social and ours was brought home at about 7 weeks and immediately bonded to our toy poodle- he then learned to bark/snort, sleep in the dog bed, go on walks on a leash- he wore a harness, and greet everyone who rang the doorbell with a bark/snort chorus.

    he enjoyed rooting around in the bed for treats (carrots/apples/celery/cheerios) and was an excellent cuddler.

    they are very smart (supposedly have the same capacity to learn as a six year old child) and easily trainable. bocephus was litter box trained and it only took him about two days to get the hang of it! he came when he was called and basically did everything the poodle did!

    have fun and DO NOT LET HIM GET TOO FAT
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    359

    Default

    One of my friends have one. They had to put a lock on the fridge as he figured out how to open it and make his own snacks. She would bring him to the barn and he would spend hours rooting around in the stalls for grain that had fallen on the floor. He was really neat, but Lord, he was HUGE! I don't think they ever expected him to get as big as he did and this was before the weight gain from the midnight runs to the fridge.
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2009
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Just so you know - PBs can have babies before they are full grown - so just 'cause he saw the parents and they weren't huge doesn't mean anything.

    Pigs are really neat pets, but are very smart and opinionated ... they sure do let you know when they're not happy about something !



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2009
    Location
    south eastern US
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    15 or 16 years ago I got a male PB pig and thought he needed a companion so I bought another pig...they never did bond...they ignored each other when they could and complained and squealed at each other when they couldn't. A single pig will be quite content to have just you and the dog for company. Your feed store should be able to get food formulated for PB or mini pigs. Don't feed hog feed. Supplement with fresh veggies and fruit. Mine to learned to open the pantry and fridge so caution there is in order. She was the easiest animal in the world to house break though. They are smarter than dogs and will learn to do tricks, come when called and walk on a lead. They do need regular hoof care just like a horse although you can learn to do it yourself. You should have seen the look on my farrier's face when I asked him to trim my pigs hooves.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    15 or 16 years ago I got a male PB pig and thought he needed a companion so I bought another pig...they never did bond...they ignored each other when they could and complained and squealed at each other when they couldn't. A single pig will be quite content to have just you and the dog for company. Your feed store should be able to get food formulated for PB or mini pigs. Don't feed hog feed. Supplement with fresh veggies and fruit. Mine to learned to open the pantry and fridge so caution there is in order. She was the easiest animal in the world to house break though. They are smarter than dogs and will learn to do tricks, come when called and walk on a lead. They do need regular hoof care just like a horse although you can learn to do it yourself. You should have seen the look on my farrier's face when I asked him to trim my pigs hooves.
    Not pig related, but I absolutely love your signature line...lol

    How true!!!
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2005
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    Her name is Patty. (Hubby is a Patriots fan so...) She is already litter boxed trained- we just had one accident because I wasn't doing what pig was taught and didn't put the box by the back door. She learned her name in one day- holy crap! It seems her buddy is one of the cats, they seem to hang out together.

    Trying not to spoil her- she is so smart. We're getting a harness this weekend and also child locks for the lower cabinets and fridge. Our cats are good at opening cabinet doors so it's something we've been meaning to do for a while.

    I read- no starchy, sugary or salty foods for treats. She seems to like carrot bits



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 26, 2010
    Location
    in the woodwork....
    Posts
    1,682

    Default

    She sounds super cute SuperSTB, please post pictures ASAP of Patty the Pig! But now I'm being nosy...Why in the world did he buy a PBP?
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,927

    Default

    I adopted a full-grown boy pig.

    For me he can be loveable, sweet, really smart and fun to have around. At other times, he makes a mess, is into everything, gets crabby and screams a lot. Sort of like owning a husband!

    They can be very demanding and aren't shy about showing their displeasure. I don't like mine coming in the house. Of course, that's exactly where he wants to be.

    Best damn guard animal I have on the place. Just ask my chickens!

    Do a search...there have been some discussions on the little $%@*&, errr...critters.

    I don't know why people think they're small...I've yet to see one that was small at all.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I adopted a full-grown boy pig.

    For me he can be loveable, sweet, really smart and fun to have around. At other times, he makes a mess, is into everything, gets crabby and screams a lot. Sort of like owning a husband!

    They can be very demanding and aren't shy about showing their displeasure. I don't like mine coming in the house. Of course, that's exactly where he wants to be.

    Best damn guard animal I have on the place. Just ask my chickens!

    Do a search...there have been some discussions on the little $%@*&, errr...critters.

    I don't know why people think they're small...I've yet to see one that was small at all.
    Definitely will let you know when they are upset.

    DH and I adopted an adult from the link I posted above and ended up returning her.

    She was an inside pig and knew darn well when it was a weekend morning!! I would still get up at 5:00 AM to feed her on her normal schedule, and go back to bed.

    She knew we were home (sleeping) and only on weekend mornings would urinate outside her litter box... If you've seen a pig urinate before, it comes close to a horse... Virtually impossible to remove from a saturated rug.

    We had to throw out the carpeting in the living room and eventually the house stunk.

    I tried and tried and couldn't take it anymore, so we ended up returning her several months later.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 17, 2003
    Location
    AridZona
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Just like any other critter, get her used to having her feet and mouth handled. A friend wasn't so good about that and her PBP would scream if his got messed with. And a PBP scream sounds like someone being hacked into little pieces.

    Oh, and they really like wallowing in those little kid wading pools. Kinda like mini-hippos.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    359

    Default

    I am trying to decide here... Pig... husband... pig..... husband....

    What was that link again?
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 26, 2010
    Location
    in the woodwork....
    Posts
    1,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallop~on~Grant View Post
    I am trying to decide here... Pig... husband... pig..... husband....

    What was that link again?
    What!?!?!? Are you putting your husband up for adoption?!?!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 23, 2005
    Posts
    591

    Default

    I have two. They are so fun. I love them dearly. I don't keep them inside though. They have the run of the farm, sleep in whatever horses stall they feel like sleeping with that night, use the horses legs as scratching posts, and the list goes on. They're are the best. I'll always have at least two running around.
    M



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2005
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    She sounds super cute SuperSTB, please post pictures ASAP of Patty the Pig! But now I'm being nosy...Why in the world did he buy a PBP?
    Pics:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11600179@N06/5055856913/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11600179@N06/5056472352/

    I don't know why in the world DH decided we needed a pig. Completely out of character since I'm the animal person.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2006
    Posts
    909

    Default

    My sisters-in-law decided they needed PBP lately too.

    I'd look around now for a vet that can/would treat them in case of an emergency as well. In the SIL case, only the vet school will and that's a two hour drive for them. They just got the two piggies fixed, so hopefully no pigtastrophes in the next meanwhile for them.

    I've seen a lot of blind, broken down piggies at a potbelly sanctuary that have been majorly overfed. Overfeeding these guys is quite detrimental.

    To those that have PBP in the house and enjoy them, kudos to you. I just have no idea how some people do it. They are so smart and crafty, I just don't picture myself living inside with one of those. Wandering around on the farm, maybe, but not in the house.

    And agree, re. teaching them how to have their teeth/mouth and feet handled. The vet I worked for in OR did PBP and good grief, working on nasty, unfriendly piggies that are screaming and trying to bite isn't the most pleasant of experiences.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,084

    Default I'll Echo This too

    Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    And agree, re. teaching them how to have their teeth/mouth and feet handled. The vet I worked for in OR did PBP and good grief, working on nasty, unfriendly piggies that are screaming and trying to bite isn't the most pleasant of experiences.
    Nor is chasing them. For fat sausages with short legs the buggers can seriously move so please teach them to come when called. They don't easily forgive either so be careful of hurt feelings.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.



Similar Threads

  1. Pot Bellied Pig in shelter needs home -Albany, GA
    By BriarCreek in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug. 27, 2011, 02:33 AM
  2. Miniature Pot-Bellied Pig- Los Angeles
    By Cammie in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
  3. Pot-bellied horses- protein deficiency?
    By shakeytails in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 30, 2010, 11:19 AM
  4. 2yr Miniature Pot Bellied Pig in WI
    By Couture TB in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 14, 2010, 06:09 PM
  5. Sweet pot bellied pig needs home
    By time4horse in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May. 7, 2009, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •