The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OK: Now how many lb to feed of pellets? Bulk alfalfa cubes or pellets in WI?

So I am trying to find out if I can buy for a discount bulk cubes or pellets delivered. If anyone knows where in WI I can order them from that would be great. I searched but have come up with nothing.

Edit: OK now how many lbs of pellets?
    Last edited by Couture TB; Oct. 4, 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Check with your local feed mill, I know I could get what you are asking for here in western Wisconsin from a few of the feed mills. You want a mill, not a feed store. A mill will have equipment to actually mix a custom feed for you. I checked out of curiosity and the latest price for dehydrated alfalfa pellets is around $270 per ton. Beet pulp pellets are cheaper, around $160 per ton. Round bales would be way cheaper, but I am guessing you can't use those.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

OMG $270/ton?! Can I move by you? I am paying $10/50lb! I've been on the search today and still no luck. Few more on the list though.

I don't know much about bulk, but perhaps you can call/email Standlee Hay? I used to buy their alfalfa cubes by the bag and was always impressed with the quality. Smelled so good I wanted to eat a few cubes myself!

http://www.standleehay.com/ContactUs.aspx

Also perhaps contact Ontario Dehy, they make a nice timothy cube I've used in the past, their alfalfa cubes are probably good too:

http://www.ontariodehy.com/tab07.htm

They're in Canada, so maybe closer to you? My geography's not so good...
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Thanks guys! So I found a mill by me that will do the pellets delivered for $320/ton. Now the new question is: How many lbs of pellets do you feed to take up most of the horse's diet? As everyone knows this year has been bad for hay so pellets or cubes are a good option. I've done cubes instead of hay but never pellets. Right now I do 50/50 for hay and cubes and my horses have never looked better! With the exception of one that was on 100% cubes and he stops people in their tracks with how good he looks.