The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for brakes

This is long, but I want some ideas to try out - really using your collective wisdom so I don't have to make progress by trial and error.

I have a super pony - 14:2 hh (I'm an adult - and OLD too). In her past life she was a jumper, but got very wound up and became too difficult for anyone to ride her. She jumps the moon (I've had her over 1.30m - its a bit scary actually) and her dressage is coming along really well. She's soft over the back, supple, relaxed, transitions getting better and better. She does dressage in a boucher with a tube roller join - so limited nutcracker action. I've been jumping her in a similar bit, but with a bit of a bent mouthpiece, a bit like the level 1 mylers. Its okay for the SJing, but yesterday I came off XC with hands so sore I could not move my fingers - so I need something better in the way of brakes. I wear gloves and will get some thicker reins, but what bits have people found useful?

Pony is built slightly down hill, but like a warmblood rather than a TB. She likes to have something to jump into and HATES me getting in front of her - I've finally learnt to sit up coming into fences - lots of bruises later. I've tried her in an ordinary snaffle - no go. She seems to like the very held / still feeling of the baucher. She doesn't go well in a single join. She can gallop with her head between her knees but when I sit up and ask her to come back to me she'll put her head up.

Any and all ideas gratefully recieved and tried out. I am getting time faults because I am spending time trying to get her under control on XC. She's competing at training level. Oh, and no problems with control unless she's out on XC or heading towards a jump. When I finished XC and finally pulled her up, she dropped her head and we wandered back to the other horses on a long rein. I've tried jumping her on a long rein, but there is NO control!

Have you thought about making a change of noseband instead?

Sounds like someone taught the pony to jump before you got him and now you are teaching him dressage. Has anybody ever taught the pony to gallop? It shouldn't be assumed they just know how.

Things I've personally used on horses with brakes issues:

Kineton noseband (for horses who resented the action of the bit, transfers some of the pressure to the nose)
    Running martingale (for horses who try to evade by sticking their head up)
    Myler combo bit (for horses who are really sensitive/claustrophobic but strong--leverage plus nose pressure)
    Pelham (leverage for straight-up "heck with you I'm stronger" types)
    Waterford (for leaners)
    Gag (really not my fave)
    Myler twisted western d-ring with lifters (currently using on my opinionated little TB mare... she will go from head-down galloping to head straight up when she sees a jump, she is very very keen)
    Mechanical Hackamore

Jennifer

Smile second vote for the myler combo bits..

and i hate gimmicks! i run everything in regular snaffles, sometimes with a running m..mostly just a snaffle...I have had phenomanal luck getting some behind the vertical, downhill, run sideways too fast to a jump ponies, arabians, small wbs..big wbs...and use the noseband/chin strap version with lots of sucess...they love that as the halfhalt gets to their mouth,it converts to noseband, chin strap pressure instead,,and after a few schools they learn to stick their nose out on a relaxed neck,and keep their throat open over the fences..which in turn lets them stay relaxed as they canter away..so they come in relaxed to the next ..and soon their approach is a quiet, balanced jump seeking canter with no head flinging,panicked rushing,,,etc!!!! they have all found a lot of improvement in a few rides just schooling at home...one we even just put it on a the show..used it for every schooling ride except her actual dressage test and she was amazing! ...hope this helps..

Yes!!!!! Those were the sort of ideas I needed. The kineton with a baucher waterford may work and I'd like to try a myler combination. Trouble is I don't know anyone I can borrow from before I buy!!

SNIT is there any combo bit you would recommend in particular?

This pony is so capable, but this really wrecks things. I'll tell you - its quite a thing to come down to a fence which is nearly as big as the pony I'm on!!!

you want to go get a kimblewick its a tad stronger than a snaffle but not as strong as a pelham
    ponies are well known to get a little strong over jumps here in uk

so often people use a kimblewick like this one

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...ed=0CDMQrQQwAg

how it works
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...scDBNg&cad=rja

start off palcing the reins inside the d ring as you would for a snaffle as it still works with a little action the curb chain if the kimblewick is a Uttoxeter which is slotted and the cambridge which is not slotted

when fitting the curb chain there is a bigger ring in the centre
    makesure the big ring is in the centre of the groove under the chin
    makesure the chain is flat and has equal links on either side of the bit
    dont go making or fitting the curb chain tight it should be loose

click bits on this link
    and look at the action of the curb chain
    http://www.sustainabledressage.net/

look here see a piccy of t 1 horse witha kimblewick
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ght=kimblewick
    Last edited by goeslikestink; Oct. 4, 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Thank you everyone for ideas - esp to SNIT and others who talked about myler combos and how they worked. I bit the bullet and got one - hard to find in the three ring, but I wanted lots of options. Each time I take the pony out she goes better and better. I'm not yet convinced we've overcome the fastest stop on earth, but her jumping is getting steadier and more confident and she is really beginning to use herself:

DelXC1

Del XC

I have to say that I am pleased with the result.

I am very surprised that I don't look waaaay too big for her - I am 5'8" and she is 14:2 hh!

She's awesome and you certainly do not look too large on her!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Wow, I think you guys look awesome. I like your XC colors too Cute pony.

Default glad its working!

nice pony! you are not too big for that pony...I am glad to hear of the work making progress with the combo....I am actually getting another horse in training this weekend..with DR penalties in stadium...and plan on introducing this bit to it fairly soon in its new work ethic....Go always works...why do folks forget to install brakes??? Happy Holidays! T.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    This is long, but I want some ideas to try out - really using your collective wisdom so I don't have to make progress by trial and error.

I have a super pony - 14:2 hh (I'm an adult - and OLD too). In her past life she was a jumper, but got very wound up and became too difficult for anyone to ride her. She jumps the moon (I've had her over 1.30m - its a bit scary actually) and her dressage is coming along really well. She's soft over the back, supple, relaxed, transitions getting better and better. She does dressage in a boucher with a tube roller join - so limited nutcracker action. I've been jumping her in a similar bit, but with a bit of a bent mouthpiece, a bit like the level 1 mylers. Its okay for the SJing, but yesterday I came off XC with hands so sore I could not move my fingers - so I need something better in the way of brakes. I wear gloves and will get some thicker reins, but what bits have people found useful?

Pony is built slightly down hill, but like a warmblood rather than a TB. She likes to have something to jump into and HATES me getting in front of her - I've finally learnt to sit up coming into fences - lots of bruises later. I've tried her in an ordinary snaffle - no go. She seems to like the very held / still feeling of the baucher. She doesn't go well in a single join. She can gallop with her head between her knees but when I sit up and ask her to come back to me she'll put her head up.

Any and all ideas gratefully recieved and tried out. I am getting time faults because I am spending time trying to get her under control on XC. She's competing at training level. Oh, and no problems with control unless she's out on XC or heading towards a jump. When I finished XC and finally pulled her up, she dropped her head and we wandered back to the other horses on a long rein. I've tried jumping her on a long rein, but there is NO control!
    the pony knows more than you so sets herself and leaves you behind so you finding her strong , great pony to learn to jump with, try a volcanite kimblewick as ponies can get abit strong mine does lol, when jumping this is a tad stronger than a snaffle but not as strong as pelham often ponies here in uk are reccomended to have a kimblewick

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    the pony knows more than you so sets herself and leaves you behind so you finding her strong , great pony to learn to jump with, try a volcanite kimblewick as ponies can get abit strong mine does lol, when jumping this is a tad stronger than a snaffle but not as strong as pelham often ponies here in uk are reccomended to have a kimblewick
    Nice try GLS, but this pony doesn't know more than me - I've been eventing for 35 years, and had a number to advanced / 3* level. This bit is working really well. Tried pelham and kimblewick, but the pelham ended up with her nose on her chest and kimblewick she hated - stuck her head out and set her neck.

The myler is expensive, but I think that I have nearly had my money's worth from it already. This pony came to me as unrideable - she'd been so over bitted and wound up that her brain was close to being fried. I have spent 18mth hacking and jump training her. I was also told that she would never do dressage - just couldn't cope. I took her to our winter series through our first winter together and she scored 60% - 68%. Its still getting better, and we have heaps of fun. I have no idea if I'll ever find a child who can ride her, but that doesn't really matter. She has a forever home with me if she needs it.

She looks like a wonderful pony - so much jump and arc.

ditto, looks a fantastic little mare, doesn't look 14.2 either!
    will she back off and listen more when the fences are bigger?
    i have a TB mare who went well in the myler combos for a while (tried 3 diff mouthpieces) but then they started to have little effect and I ended up putting her in a ported pelham (after much experimentation) which worked really well, i hardly have to use it at all.
    fabulous pictures, what a great mare, good luck with her.

Totally OT, but what is your mare's breeding? She is a lovely gal!!

And glad to see someone promoting the smaller horses in sport. People REALLY need to get over this perceived need for 16-17+hh horses.

You guys seem to fit one another just fine.

No help with bits here, but what a lovely combo you make!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Do these come in a 4 1/2" size? My 16.1h mare goes in a cob bridle and pony sized bits. It's been an adventure shopping for her. She's exceedingly game to jump (aka would like to drag me around), but she does NOT want you to mess with her mouth. She will pop her head in the air and lock up through her neck. She was over bitted and ridden with a too-tight martingale before I got her. She's now in a loose ring snaffle, moving to a mullen mouth since her tiny little mouth can't cope with the joints.

Oh, and I love your pony. What a jump!
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    Nice try GLS, but this pony doesn't know more than me - I've been eventing for 35 years, and had a number to advanced / 3* level. This bit is working really well. Tried pelham and kimblewick, but the pelham ended up with her nose on her chest and kimblewick she hated - stuck her head out and set her neck.

The myler is expensive, but I think that I have nearly had my money's worth from it already. This pony came to me as unrideable - she'd been so over bitted and wound up that her brain was close to being fried. I have spent 18mth hacking and jump training her. I was also told that she would never do dressage - just couldn't cope. I took her to our winter series through our first winter together and she scored 60% - 68%. Its still getting better, and we have heaps of fun. I have no idea if I'll ever find a child who can ride her, but that doesn't really matter. She has a forever home with me if she needs it.
    good for you, shes nice bit like my ossy hes hanxtb and bonnie is welsh sec d both event in fact all mine event and show jump regularly
    fun doin g naughty neddies as it give you different chanllenges lol

Thanks for all your responses. I love to look at these photos to see what a long way she has come.

kenili: Yes she does back off a little more with the bigger jumps, but she has so much scope (and knows it) that often she just decides to take off. In the SJ round of this competition, one of the officials walked into the ring as I was coming around the corner to jump the last jump. I couldn't get as far out as I wanted to because he was in the way, so we were half a stride out for the fence. She just took off early, didn't look like touching it. I heard the judges and officials gasp as she took off.

Kyzteke: She's a New Zealand bred pony. Has some jumper pony and warmblood breeding in her background. I do have to think about her striding for XC combinations - especially 3 straight strides or less. I have been curving lines to add a stride. With new courses I really have to walk the course well and ride her through it in my head - there's no point watching the bigger horses because their gallop stride IS longer!

Catie 79: I think that this is a 4 3/4. Myler recommend that you go up a bit size so a 4 3/4 or even a 5" may well fit your horse. Myler run a bit trial system where you buy the bit and use it for a few times to make sure that it is the right one for you. If it doesn't work you end up with a credit, less $10 or so.

I wish that I had had this pony when she was a youngster, that I had backed her and started her.

I always say that in our riding lives we are lucky if we get to pair up with a horse or pony that it is a privilege to ride. I have been extremely lucky in that I have had a few such horses and ponies. This mare is one of them. I have had to let some of the others go, or they have been owned by someone else, but I own this mare and know that we can go on being a partnership.