The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Dressage horses ever shown with long flowing manes?

I am watching freestyle dressage which is really great but I'm wondering if a long flowing mane is allowed? I thought the reiners and their long flowing manes were so darn pretty

I've seen Russian team horses with long flowing manes but braided into that checkerboard pattern, not bobbled up.

It's funny you say that, because I was watching the reining and my thought was "ugh, they look so ratty and unkempt with those long manes!" Different strokes, I guess! I would think a long mane would get tangled up in two pairs of reins.

Long manes get in the way. Your always adjusting your reins to keep the hair out. I always knew it was time to do a trim when I started grabbing mane.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidapal View Post
    Long manes get in the way. Your always adjusting your reins to keep the hair out. I always knew it was time to do a trim when I started grabbing mane.
    Seriously Then how do reiners, ASB's and any other breed shown with long manes manage?

I'm with amastrike: Long manes = yuk. I like the tidy appearance of a neatly pulled mane.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I don't know today, but some 40+ years ago, we were taught we were showing, at a show and there we were to present our horses at their best, that included properly braided manes, as a sign of respect for the judge and show environment.
    Unprofessional not to do so, reflecting badly on you and your stable.

Today, I dunno.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Stormgsd- if you watch the reiners, they are not moving their reins and have virtually NO contact, very much the opposite of dressage. I cannot imagine trying to jump a hunter round with all that mane that some of those QH were sporting in the reining. Very pretty and typical of the AQHA, but not practical in other venues.

I wonder if working cow horses have long manes (not the "show pen" ones, the ones out on the real range)?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

No- I've never seen a horse at a rated show (even at training level) show with an unbraided mane.

Oh, the hard questions.

Another that comes to mind is, "Do trolls ever get banned from COTH?"

I ride two that have manes down past their shoulders. Both of them get braided into long braids to school, and double french braids to show. IF left loose, it not only gets in the way of your reins, but I found recently that a nice gallop in half seat/two point leads to mane getting caught under your thighs.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I wonder if working cow horses have long manes (not the "show pen" ones, the ones out on the real range)?
    Yes. Real cowboys laugh at those of us that cut and braid manes.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    Oh, the hard questions.

Another that comes to mind is, "Do trolls ever get banned from COTH?"

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'm with Coloredhorse to a point--I am ok with Baroque breeds that have a heavy/cresty neck and long manes, but breeds like TBs, QHs look so much better with nice, short tidy manes. So for me, its the individual horse's conformation that dictates mane cut-age (Right now I have a QH in a desperate need of a trim )

But, back on topic--long manes do get in the way, especially jumping--ouch!! In the face the hair will swat you, and man does it hurt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    I'm with Coloredhorse to a point--I am ok with Baroque breeds that have a heavy/cresty neck and long manes, but breeds like TBs, QHs look so much better with nice, short tidy manes. So for me, its the individual horse's conformation that dictates mane cut-age (Right now I have a QH in a desperate need of a trim )

Agreed. I have a QH that has a nicely pulled and short mane because I think it looks so much better, but the other two are a Percheron/Morgan cross and a mustang that appears to have some spanish blood in him.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    Yes. Real cowboys laugh at those of us that cut and braid manes.
    This is true. Most I've ever seen is some ropers with roached manes.

I do have to say, I have a couple of Arabs whose manes I don't pull and I ride in a double and haven't notice any significant interference from the mane. I could see it over higher jumps but I also jump them up to about 3' and don't have issues with it either.

I do French braid them for shows, of course. I don't think "long flowing mane" fits in with the dressage look as well as it does with reiners, who don't have that formal tailcoat thing going.

ETA my Arabs are dressage horses, not saddleseat or anything like that.
    Last edited by CosMonster; Oct. 3, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Nope, no long manes, they get tangled in reins, ropes, saddle strings. No one pulls them bur either roaches or takes a scissors and lops them off. A few old timers will take a sharp pocket knife and use it like a hairdresser does a razor to shorten manes and tails.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Seems that Saddlebreds and other Saddleseat breeds require a rider to hold their hands higher than dressage, jumpers, etc... this could explain why there isn't any interference with the double bridles and longer manes.

Ewww no long manes here. I play polo and polocrosse and can tell you firsthand that long mane gets in the way; not to mention having snagged my fingernails in mane and ripping them into the quick on more than one occasion.

I am playing polocrosse this fall on a mare that is for sale and might sell to another discipline. Her mane wasn't roached but is pulled and french braided down the crest of her neck when I play.

Upper level freestyle dressage (for that matter, all upper level dressage) is considered "Formal". Riders attire is formal and horse is presented in his formal (i.e. braided) attire. I once watched Col Burton judge a lovely black Shire stallion. The stallion had his mane loose and, of course, his leg feathers flying. Col Burton congratulated the owner on a lovely ride and then told her not to come into his ring again unless all that hair was properly braided and contained. Next time I saw the horse she had him braided and Dipity Do on his leg feathers!