The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay feeder/pasture/squares

I have a three board fence, and a five year old who is a bit destructive of anything added to her pasture. I feed mostly squares, and they only eat about 30-40% of what I put out. I hate the mess and the waste. Any suggestions that are safe and not too pricey? Jess would kill a string or canvas bag, or herself trying!

I have a large wooden "crate" that I put out in the pasture to feed hay out of. It is slightly smaller than an orchard type fruit crate, but I've often thought one of those might work. It sure helps to contain the loose hay, but still maintains a natural eating position for the horse. I can fit about 6-8 flakes of small bale hay in mine (not shaken out loose).
    Cindy

Where did you get it?

I was afraid you'd ask that. I have no idea...my parents gave it to me to entertain my goat (turned upside down). The goat didn't give two craps about it, so I turned it right side up and realized it could make a good hay feeder If you have any fruit orchards in your area, maybe see if they have an old (safe) one that you could get cheap. If not, it's basically a 4-sided box with a wooden bottom (mine doesn't sit flush with the ground, but the bottom is raised up about 4 inches. It appears to be built out of 1x6 lumber, and is about 3ft high.
    Cindy

Check out Nashville CL Farm and Garden section - a few days ago there was someone selling 3 very cool looking hay feeders for square bales for $125 each in Lebanon. Might be gone by now but is worth a try!

Tractor tire feeders work well.

Look on Craigslist for tires, people will usually give them to you for free because often they have to pay to dispose of them.

My BO made a feeder like this, but it's only one tire high: http://www.axeholmeshires.com/tirefeeder/

Another idea: http://www.kbrhorse.net/qt/tirefeed.html