The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Horse Sense feed by Virginia Equine Research

Any here use their feed?
    Ran into the rep at Devon this weekend.
    While some of her statements were plain preposterous (she told me that TC Lite caused my mare's metabolic problems... ) I'm intrigued by the product line and would like to find out some real information about it. The rep (again, not the most reliable source given her other statements) claimed that you can tell the difference in your horse within 72 hours after feeding their feed...

I got a couple samples from them and will offer it to my mare see what she thinks about it. The beet pulp based feed for metabolic horses was very dry. I think moisture content is like 2%.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I thought about using them a couple of years ago (our local feedstore was carrying their lines at that time), but the rep really turned me off to their company after one phone call.

Also, they suggest that hay (unless it's chopped) causes ulcers in horses.

I'll stick to my Pennfield.

Default wonder if it was the same rep...

she was nuts!

unfortunately after reading their website closely i discovered they use alfalfa pellets and alfalfa causes laminitis in my mare so that's out.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Rep at Devon told me that the Buckeye Grow-n-Win that I feed is awful & causes lots of problems. Funny but my horses have never looked better. My very horse knowledgeable friend who was farm sitting for me while I was at Devon kept commenting on how shiny & fat everyone on the farm is on such a small amount of feed. No supplements, just the feed.
    I didn't like the feed samples I saw at Devon of this virginia feed. To dry & not the best of smell.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I used it for a while... will NEVER feed it again. The consistency from one bag to the next was awful and after having my horses on it for three months they all looked terrible.

Recently found out that my current feed store used to carry it, but dropped it when they came across a bag full of bugs... they called the manufacturer and were told that a batch had not been fumigated... soooo, does that mean they spray it with pesticide after production

I switched to Nutrena XTN and have never looked back... that was two years ago...

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Default Makes sense to me:)

About a month ago I switched my horse and 3 client horses to this feed. What initially prompted me to try it was two mares who were just not handling the stress of living in a big boarding facility very well. They are easy keepers and without any grass to speak of and the problems with getting good hay this year, I just couldn't seem to come up with anything that felt right for them.

The mares settled down and started to look so good I switched all the horses over and now people keep commenting on how great they look and how well they are going.

I've never had any problems with the quality or consistency of the products.

As far as the benefits of feeding chopped hay---well, that information has been around for years

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    About a month ago I switched my horse and 3 client horses to this feed. What initially prompted me to try it was two mares who were just not handling the stress of living in a big boarding facility very well. They are easy keepers and without any grass to speak of and the problems with getting good hay this year, I just couldn't seem to come up with anything that felt right for them.

The mares settled down and started to look so good I switched all the horses over and now people keep commenting on how great they look and how well they are going.

I've never had any problems with the quality or consistency of the products.

As far as the benefits of feeding chopped hay---well, that information has been around for years
    Please show me the research that hay causes ulcers in horses. Would love to see the research.

There is no literature I know of that says hay causes ulcers---although somebody told me about a study funded by the Australian government that says chaff (chopped) hay was shown to prevent ulcers in horses. No one at Horse Sense has ever told me that hay causes ulcers either. What they did say goes along with everything I've learned throughout my career: grazing horses take small bites, chew thoroughly and swallow their forage with lots of saliva, so it moves through their stomach quickly and keeps the acid down low where it belongs. Long stemmed hay isn't always chewed thoroughly down to a size that lets it get out of the stomach quickly enough, so it sits in there in longer until it's broken down enough to get out, causing acid to pool.

I'll bet the Horse Sense folks would be happy to expand on this if you give them a call and ask them.

I guess I had better jump in here. Most people actually DO see positive changes in their horse's condition within 72 hours of completed transition to HorseSense. It would be easier to lie and say it takes three weeks, because that is easier to believe if one has never seen the power of balanced, optimal nutrition. I don't lie. People who know me will tell you that I'm the soul of sincerity. My job is to help horses and the people who love them. "We are what we eat." The same is true for horses. Try to learn about feed ingredients: which are fillers and by-products, and which are good for ingestion. Recommended reading: The National Research Council's Nutrient Requirements of Horses[U], Sixth Revised Edition.
    The enemy of all feeds is moisture. Moisture is where feed deterioration begins. It is far safer to start with a dry product and add moisture (water) at the time of feeding.
    The feed dealer with the buggy HorseSense had put this product in a dirt floor garage where it would attract bugs and make customers switch to their other feeds. They put the other brands of feed in a good building with a concrete floor, I believe. It is common practice too spray around a storage facility (not on the feed) - and there are safe products for this purpose - to discourage an insect invasion. Most HorseSense clients switched back to the original dealer where they saw no more bugs.
    The keys to a long, healthy life are good nutrition, a happy spirit and exercise - www.VaEquineResearch.com:)

...I'll bet the Horse Sense folks would be happy to expand on this if you give them a call and ask them.
    I made the mistake of walking in there a few years ago to discuss metabolic problems, and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard.

JME, but I'll stick with analyzing my hay and balancing the appropriate vits and minerals for my IR mare.

I thought the rep was pretty extreme (i.e. nuts).
    Equus Keepus Brokus

There is no literature I know of that says hay causes ulcers---although somebody told me about a study funded by the Australian government that says chaff (chopped) hay was shown to prevent ulcers in horses. No one at Horse Sense has ever told me that hay causes ulcers either. What they did say goes along with everything I've learned throughout my career: grazing horses take small bites, chew thoroughly and swallow their forage with lots of saliva, so it moves through their stomach quickly and keeps the acid down low where it belongs. Long stemmed hay isn't always chewed thoroughly down to a size that lets it get out of the stomach quickly enough, so it sits in there in longer until it's broken down enough to get out, causing acid to pool.

I'll bet the Horse Sense folks would be happy to expand on this if you give them a call and ask them.
    No need. Had this conversation with the owner's wife about three years ago when I was intersested in switching. Conversation got turned into regular hay causes uclers in horses and the way you treat them is with one of the Safe Guard deworming products (can't remember which one). Then hung up in my ear because she had a call on another line. That was enough customer service for me.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...14#post3788814

I'm happy with Pennfield and regular hay.

Default Bad day

That was an awful day, Dalpal. I have always, ever since, wanted to profusely apologize! I kept hoping you would guess that there was a serious problem and call me back, but I understand. After switching to the emergency call, I realized that I had not gotten your number first. I was really embarrassed for being such a rude lunkhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    No need. Had this conversation with the owner's wife about three years ago when I was intersested in switching. Conversation got turned into regular hay causes uclers in horses and the way you treat them is with one of the Safe Guard deworming products (can't remember which one). Then hung up in my ear because she had a call on another line. That was enough customer service for me.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...14#post3788814

I'm happy with Pennfield and regular hay.
    The keys to a long, healthy life are good nutrition, a happy spirit and exercise - www.VaEquineResearch.com:)

Default Horse Sense Feed

Horse Sense is one of the few companies that actually uses whole foods in their feeds. I would give this feed company a serious look -- their nutrition is balanced and again with whole healthy foods. They are the best of the best. Forget the other suppliers --Pellets, distillers grains, soybean meal and wheat middlings are fillers that all owners are paying for that harms horses. Eventually you will see what I am talking about. Hopefully your horse will not suffer.

Seems like it could be a good feed. But I'll stick with what works for me, hay, grass, TC 30%, alfalfa pellets, TC SR, and flax. My horses all seem shiny and healthy...but maybe I'm blind
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013