The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can a horse be entered in a race on the 6th then race again on the 7th?

As the question states. I know nothing about entering horses to race, but a horse I know and have on my Equibase was entered in a race for the 6th of Oct. but then I just received notice that he is entered on the 7th of Oct. These both were final entry notices. Does this mean he was scratched from the 1st one? He is at the Hawthorne track in IL.
    Also is this a lower end track were horses go when they are about to finish there career? Thanks for any info.

Yes he would be scratched . Horsmen often enter into a race with a condition that allows them to get out if the race they fit better fills within the calender week. I don't think Hawthorne is the bottom of the barrel for a horses career if they are sound and productive , but I am not from that area so I do not know if there is a B track in the vacinity.

I wouldn't bet the farm that he is scratched. I have seen a horse run two days in a row before. Most likely he would be scratched but there is no rule that says he has to be.

Most likely he would be scratched.But I have also seen horses race back within a couple days before(the Rick Dutrow trained horse Unrecquited comes to mind for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I wouldn't bet the farm that he is scratched. I have seen a horse run two days in a row before. Most likely he would be scratched but there is no rule that says he has to be.
    I cant remember who it was at Laurel, but they ran a horse at Laurel, then took him to CT and ran him that night...

Honky Tonk Babe won races on consecutive days at Yakima Meadows (yes, won both) when I was a little girl. 1993 or 1994.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

In 2005 Commercial Flyer ran on three consecutive days (winning twice). He had also ran twice in the previous nine days. So he ran five times in a total of twelve days and covered a total of 112f (14 miles).
    He won four of those races.

Golden Man placed in two graded stakes races within approx 30-hours. He raced at Monmouth on a Saturday afternoon (July 16, 2005) in the Long Branch Stakes (Grade 3)and then went down to Delaware Park to race on Sunday (July 17, 2005) in the Grade 3 Leonard Richards [now the Barbaro Stakes].

At the time that was the only known successful (hit the board) graded stakes, back to back effort that could be recalled by the historian at the National Museum of Racing for more then 50-years in the US.

Albeit it not within two days, but certainly at a very competitive level, this summer El Real Madrid at Saratoga won 2 races and placed in another over the course of just 8 days.

Wild Geese won two races in five days at Aqueduct in 2008.

If people will recall there was the potential for the connections of Leathal Heat (f) to race her twice in the 2009 Breeders' Cup. BC Ladies' Classic and next day in the BC Turf Sprint. That may not have been their desire and regardless it didn't come to pass anyhow based upon additional rules and circumstances.

As for the way it used to get done. Bill Finley cites a few of the old stories:

A horse racing on consecutive days is very rare, but not unprecedented. Trained by Carlos (King of the Fairs) Figueroa, a horse named Shannon's Hope did it when winning five races over an eight-day span in 1963 at the Weymouth and Marshfield Fairs. Rushaway won the 1936 Illinois and Latonia Derbies on consecutive days. Trainer King Leatherbury probably holds some sort of record for getting the most out of a horse in a short period of time. He once ran a horse during the day at Laurel and later the same night at Penn National. The two races were about six hours apart.
    Didn't King Leatherbury at Laurel Park in the last couple of years have a runner that won twice over 3 days? The racing office even sent out a press release on the rare feat.

Running back on a couple of days rest at a high level is actually not that uncommon, esp in sprint races. Every year there are a number of horses that will run in both the King's Stand Stakes G1 and Golden Jubilee Stakes G1 at the Royal Ascot meet, held four days apart. In 2003 Choisir won both races.
    Probably even more impressive was Baddam winning the Ascot stakes (2m4f) and the Queen Alexandra Stakes (2m6f) four days apart in 2006. The following year he returned and ran in the Gold Cup G1 (2m4f), finishing 7th and two days later finished 2nd in the Queen Alexandra.

The Australians are particulalry adept at this running in major stakes on short turn around. In 2008 Viewed won the Melbourne Cup G1 ($4m) four days after he had finished 3rd in the MacKinnon Stakes G1.
    I guess the Pletcher school of five to six weeks between races hasn't caught on down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Honky Tonk Babe won races on consecutive days at Yakima Meadows (yes, won both) when I was a little girl. 1993 or 1994.
    Yakima Meadows!? Is that a training track now? I feel so bereft sp? of racehorses living out here. Where are you Slewdle and do you have some nice thoroughbreds that I can come and stare at? I might even be able to help you with grooming, walking, or training, sadly not undersaddle right now though.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Running back on a couple of days rest at a high level is actually not that uncommon, esp in sprint races. Every year there are a number of horses that will run in both the King's Stand Stakes G1 and Golden Jubilee Stakes G1 at the Royal Ascot meet, held four days apart. In 2003 Choisir won both races.
    Probably even more impressive was Baddam winning the Ascot stakes (2m4f) and the Queen Alexandra Stakes (2m6f) four days apart in 2006. The following year he returned and ran in the Gold Cup G1 (2m4f), finishing 7th and two days later finished 2nd in the Queen Alexandra.

The Australians are particulalry adept at this running in major stakes on short turn around. In 2008 Viewed won the Melbourne Cup G1 ($4m) four days after he had finished 3rd in the MacKinnon Stakes G1.
    I guess the Pletcher school of five to six weeks between races hasn't caught on down there.
    I don't think Pletcher can do this with a horse if he was given an award to try.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Yakima Meadows!? Is that a training track now? I feel so bereft sp? of racehorses living out here. Where are you Slewdle and do you have some nice thoroughbreds that I can come and stare at? I might even be able to help you with grooming, walking, or training, sadly not undersaddle right now though.
    Yakima's closed now, I think they last ran in '98. The track and grandstand are still there on the fairgrounds but from Google satellite, looks like the rail is gone and maybe they run dirtbikes now?

We're in western WA, if you need a TB fix let me know. No riding but you can meet my fat filly and our baby that has us with stars in our eyes. Lots of horses who'll tell you we don't feed them OR pet them. It's the icky time of year, though.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

No Lasix = Big Factor

Thank you for all the interesting history! I love hearing great racing stories. Unfortunatly the boy I am speaking of has not done well at all this year and the last race he actually won was 4th of July 2009 when I went to see him race. I have known him since he just turned 2 and is soon to be 6 but I am following him because I want to make sure that when he is done racing he gets taken care of. I love this boy so much! So I got notice that he was scratched yesterday and he raced today and came in last ( I hope he will be back up here in MN soon so I can go see him.
    Thanks again and if any of you ever run into L'etoile du nord (lovingly known as nerdy nordy) please give him a big kiss for me!

In terms of "frequent flyers" here is another example from Oz: So You Think

Oct 24, 2010 Sunday Herald-Sun: Bart Cummings eyes Melbourne Cup with So You Think after dominant WS Cox Plate victory

Cummings said if So You Think was to attempt to win the 150th Melbourne Cup he would run in the Group I Mackinnon Stakes on Saturday.

"It will relax him. ..."
    Just won the G1 $3M-AU Cox Plate, airming for another race next Saturday in the Mackinnon Stakes, and then would race in the monumental Grade 1 Melbourne Cup just three days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    In terms of "frequent flyers" here is another example from Oz: So You Think

Oct 24, 2010 Sunday Herald-Sun: Bart Cummings eyes Melbourne Cup with So You Think after dominant WS Cox Plate victory

Just won the G1 $3M-AU Cox Plate, airming for another race next Saturday in the Mackinnon Stakes, and then would race in the monumental Grade 1 Melbourne Cup just three days later.
    Jesus.... he just pulled it off. So You Think just won the $1m MacKinnon Stakes G1 over 12f, a week after he won the $3m Cox Plate G1 over 10f... and in three days he will go for the triumvirate when he runs in the $4m Melbourne Cup on Tues.

Horse of the ages right here folks.

This is his race record since the end of August

28-Aug-10 Cau 7f Memsie Stakes G2 - 1st
    18-Sep-10 Cau 9f Underwood Stakes G1 - 1st
    09-Oct-10 Cau 10f Yalumba Stakes G1 - 1st
    23-Oct-10 Moo 10f Cox Plate G1 - 1st
    30-Oct-10 Fle 12f MacKinnon Stakes G1 - 1st

Next up
    02-Nov-10 Fle 16f Melbourne Cup G1

What are So You Think's earnings coming into tomorrow? How much of that is in the past 3 months?
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

According to the RP, he has approx $4.5m so far. He has won approx $2.7m of that is since August.
    Tonight's race is worth AUS$6m (~US$5.9m) of which the winner gets AUS$3.6m (~US$3.55m). So if he wins tonight he'll be just above the $8m mark.

This is his race record since the end of August

28-Aug-10 Cau 7f Memsie Stakes G2 - 1st
    18-Sep-10 Cau 9f Underwood Stakes G1 - 1st
    09-Oct-10 Cau 10f Yalumba Stakes G1 - 1st
    23-Oct-10 Moo 10f Cox Plate G1 - 1st
    30-Oct-10 Fle 12f MacKinnon Stakes G1 - 1st

Next up
    02-Nov-10 Fle 16f Melbourne Cup G1
    That is impressive actually...